Dover, TN: LBL trails? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Dover, TN: LBL trails?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 09-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
jbstok
2009 JK Wrangler 

Dover, TN: LBL trails?

We're going to be spending a few days in the Land Between the Lakes area near Dover, TN week after next. Any trails suitable for a stock JK in that neck of the woods?

.......JB

Unread 09-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
TNeustadt
2004 TJ Wrangler 

There is an area called Turkey Bay OHV....LBL | OHV Trails
Haven't been on the trails yet, can't advise 'ya either way.
Unread 09-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
weems
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Turkey Bay is a lot of fun. I took my TJ down there and had a blast. I didn't get any scrapes, but your JK is a little bit wider. For the price, you can't beat it. I would try it out if i was you. I think i saw some JK's the time i was there.
Aussie Front Locker
4.56 Gears
Currie 44/Dana 30 chrome moly
Unread 09-14-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
jbstok
2009 JK Wrangler 

Looks good. We'll check it out.

Thanks!

............JB
Unread 09-22-2009, 06:12 AM   #5
jbstok
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thought I'd give a quick update. We spent a couple of hours in the Turkey Bay OHV area yesterday and are going back today for more. It was a lot of fun. I had some fear for the paint a few times but we made it through on the primary trails without a scratch. It was a close thing a couple of times though. We didn't try any of the secondary trails yet. We were alone out there yesterday (advantage/disadvantage of going on a Monday morning!) and with stock tires and no winch I was worried about getting into something I couldn't get myself out of. There was muddy places and water holes, but all the holes had a firm bottom and weren't excessively deep. Some hill climbs, no rocks to speak of except for one spot where they had been placed deliberately and could easily be avoided. All in all a great time for a stock JK, we just need to watch for the narrow places of which there are several. Looking forward to getting back in there. Cost is $ 15 for 3 days of access.

......JB
Unread 09-22-2009, 06:20 AM   #6
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I wish I had seen this thread sooner. There are a bunch of local to LBL / Turkey Bay Jeepers on ItsaJeep.Org that probably would have been a trail guide for you, if you asked. All the fun stuff if off the main trails. There is a map with GPS coodinates marked. After all the storms and floods we have had, some trails have received major damage and are almost impassible so be careful........
Unread 09-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
jbstok
2009 JK Wrangler 

Next time we get up here I'll try to get together with some of y'all. We spent about 3 hours in there today and the only other humans we saw were a work crew with a trackhoe about half way out on the trail going out to the old silo on the north border. We did see some turkey and deer though. It would have been both fun and a bit of extra security to have another vehicle along. Being alone kept me from getting too brave and probably doing something dumb so I guess it worked out ok<g>. My bride would NOT have been happy if I'd scratched up or worse yet bent her brand new Jeep (literally, it's got less than 2500 miles on it). Since she was with me, that could have gotten ugly in more ways than one! We were on pretty much all of the main (yellow) trails either yesterday or today and can report that while some are challenging for someone who hasn't done much offroading since the late 70's all are passable (in current conditions, fairly dry) by a stock JK 4dr. Sahara. There ARE some tight places though. We didn't attempt any of the secondary orange blazed trails. Every time I thought about it, I got a dirty look and decided to keep going on the main trails.

It was a lot of fun, and we will be back. I like it around here.

..........JB
Unread 09-22-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbstok View Post
Next time we get up here I'll try to get together with some of y'all. We spent about 3 hours in there today and the only other humans we saw were a work crew with a trackhoe about half way out on the trail going out to the old silo on the north border. We did see some turkey and deer though. It would have been both fun and a bit of extra security to have another vehicle along. Being alone kept me from getting too brave and probably doing something dumb so I guess it worked out ok<g>. My bride would NOT have been happy if I'd scratched up or worse yet bent her brand new Jeep (literally, it's got less than 2500 miles on it). Since she was with me, that could have gotten ugly in more ways than one! We were on pretty much all of the main (yellow) trails either yesterday or today and can report that while some are challenging for someone who hasn't done much offroading since the late 70's all are passable (in current conditions, fairly dry) by a stock JK 4dr. Sahara. There ARE some tight places though. We didn't attempt any of the secondary orange blazed trails. Every time I thought about it, I got a dirty look and decided to keep going on the main trails.

It was a lot of fun, and we will be back. I like it around here.

..........JB
There use to be a place in Turkey Bay called "Rubicon Flip".... I'll let you figure out how that obstacle got its name (LOL). The Rubicon had 700 miles on it.
Unread 09-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #9
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

Turkey Bay is some of the best wheeling in KY imo. LOVE it out there, just wish I had more weekends to get out.

Don't worry about a scratch or two, that's just Jeep character, and can help you recognize YOUR jeep in a parking lot. The more you mod it up, the easier it will be to spot. Once you get past the first scratch, the rest come easy.

Great camping out there right on the trails, wake up and go wheelin. Post some pics if you've got them!!

BUILD:
Rubi Rocker Guards; 32" Mastercraft MTs; Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift; JKS Quick Discos; JKS Front & Rear Adj Trackbars; JKS Ex Rear Swaybar links; Zone Nitro Shocks; 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers; Poison Spyder Evap Skid; Cobra 75WXST; 3' Firestick quick disco; Rugged Ridge XHD Fr Bumper; Tuffy Underseat Drawer; 6" KC Long Range Hilites; Superchips Flashpaq, Crown Extended brake lines

WISH LIST: Front LCAs, Winch, 6" KC Driving Lights, Deep Cycle Battery

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.