Any Auburn Alabama Jeeps out there???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Any Auburn Alabama Jeeps out there????

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
yzblue125
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Any Auburn Alabama Jeeps out there????

Im Just trying to find some folks around town to start some rides>> anyone out there??

yzblue125 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
ryanoz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

yea man. My business partner and I live in Auburn. I have an '04 TJ, he has a '90 YJ, we are looking for some spots to ride... you know of any? Write back.
ryanoz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
OSJeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Not in the area anymore, but the Talladega National Forest had some trails back when I went to college. War Eagle!
OSJeep is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
webbdad
1980 CJ5 

Auburn rides

Sorry to revive an older thread.
New to jeeps. Looking for places for wife and I to ride on the weekends. Have a fairly stock '80 CJ5(for now).

webbdad
Jeff
webbdad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
Jason D
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'll throw my hat in the ring if you guys find somewhere.
Unread 09-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #6
mpd0002
1984 CJ7 

same here. i have an '84 cj7, anywhere to ride would be awesome. Ive been riding around tuskeegee national forest at night, its cool... but i think ive been down about all those roads now. any new ideas?
mpd0002 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
jbstok
2009 JK Wrangler 

This is from an older thread from a month or so ago, but we'll probably do it again.

Quote:
We just bought a new 09 4 dr. Sahara to use as a tow car behind the motor home, but like to get off road now and then too. We've only had it since mid July and I've been working on it a little to get it ready to tow, but we've taken it up to the Talledega Nat'l Forest a couple of times and driven what is called on the maps "Skyline Drive" or FS 600-1. It was interesting what with being in a brand new stock Jeep. It's mostly an old logging road that hasn't been maintained in a looong time. Several portions are pretty washed out, especially on slopes, but some of the flatter portions are good. It took us about 2 hours to drive 5 miles or so, but we stopped a couple of times to admire the view and have a snack. That was on the southern part of the drive, south west of Hwy 77.

Take County road 7 north out of Goodwater to Hwy 148. Turn left on 148 and go about a half mile and Skyline drive will be on your right. You can see remnants of rutted asphalt on the slope. If you go just a hundred feet or so farther, you will turn onto a good gravel road. That isn't the one you want, though it is a nice drive.

You will come out on Hwy 77 just north of County road 209, or Horns Lake road. If you want to do the rest of Skyline, take Horns Lake road east to Chandler Springs road, then find where Skyline Drive turns off to the right about a mile up the road, just after you cross a bridge over Talledega Creek. You will eventually come out on the Talledega Scenic Hwy and you can go where you will from there. We worked our way back to Ashville on mostly dirt roads then got on 77 to come back to Opelika. There are a lot of FS roads up there, most of them in MUCH better shape than Skyline Drive. It did give me a chance to try out low range though, mostly for speed control. It's not super challenging given that I got through there without any scratches or dings but you will need the ground clearance of the Jeep and if you don't use low range you're either going to wear out the brakes or get thrown out of the seat. Some deep gullies to cross in there.

This road was in my GPS (Garmin), btw.
We're in Land Between the Lakes in TN and KY right now, and spent a few hours in Turkey Bay OHV area today. Good fun, even in a new stock Sahara!

........JB
jbstok is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #8
Jason D
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd0002 View Post
same here. i have an '84 cj7, anywhere to ride would be awesome. Ive been riding around tuskeegee national forest at night, its cool... but i think ive been down about all those roads now. any new ideas?
Any good trails? What are they like?
Unread 09-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #9
webbdad
1980 CJ5 

Same question here.... How are they trails/roads??
webbdad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2009, 07:30 AM   #10
Jeep-Jeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

Check my sig for the CLUBS LISTING

| 4x4 Clubs Listing |

current: 09 JKUR
previous Jeeps: 76 CJ7, 93 YJ, 98 TJ, 99 WJ, 84 SJ, 83 CJ7, 90 XJ, 94 ZJ, 87 SJ, 97 ZJ, 02 WJ, 08 JKR
Jeep-Jeep is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #11
creepycrawly
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Gentlemen, there are TONS of places to ride within an hour and a half of you guys. As mentioned, the Talladega National Forrest has lots of places to wheel, but most are fire roads. There is also www.grayrockorv.com, www.choccoloccomountain.com, www.morrismountainorv.com. I have not been to Gray Rock but have heard good things about it. I have been to both Morris and Choccolocco and can attest to their awesomeness. I realize that they are about 2 hrs or so from Auburn, but SO worth it. Heck, you could even make it a weekend trip as both areas have primitive camping and Choccolocco is literally 3 minutes from Jacksonville, which has plenty of great restaurants, hotels, and gas stations. Also home of JSU which has tons of hot college chicks and a fair share of college bars! Coming from big time Auburn University, JSU might not seem like it has much to offer, but not a bad time!
Unread 09-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #12
mpd0002
1984 CJ7 

thanks a lot creepycrawly, i might have to check that out.
mpd0002 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #13
creepycrawly
1997 TJ Wrangler 

No worries. Definitely worth it. Dont know what the deal with the green text is...sorry guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.