4WD Question - Hope this is the correct place - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > 4WD Question - Hope this is the correct place

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
gasrat
2005 LJ Wrangler 

4WD Question - Hope this is the correct place

Hope this doesn't come across as a dumb question as I am new to the jeep thing, but here goes.

I will be traveling to a farm in a few weeks to hunt Coyotes. We have had rain here in KY like you never seen. So during my trip, I will have to tackle a incline that looks to be about 30 degrees maybe a little more. Not very steep, but a constant incline for about 100 yards to the top of a ridge.

The road appears to be smooth, and could be much dryer before I have to go up it. My question is what range of 4WD should I start the climb in? If the hill is dry when I arrive it should not be a problem at all. I am asking my question, assuming the hill might be wet when I go yote shooting.

I have seen the use of 4L 2nd, 3rd etc....Am I understanding this correctly to mean 4 low in 2nd and 3rd gear?

Basically what I would like to know is what low range should I attempt the hill in. Now mind you this isn't a bluff, but it could be very saturated, but appears to be quite smooth. I don't think there is any ruts anywhere, but I want to be on the safe side when I start up the hill as to not have to change gears in a 6-speed manual.

The vehicle is a 2005 Rubicon Unlimited equipped with the factory Goodyear MT/R tires...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks and have a good day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.