Who's been to Platoro??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Who's been to Platoro???

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-07-2007, 11:48 PM   #1
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Who's been to Platoro???

I'm taking a week off this summer to jeep around the telluride/ouray area and was looking into spending a night in platoro on the way. I'll be coming from Austin, TX so I was thinking of leaving around 5AM and maybe camping in platoro the first night, then heading through Lake city on the alpine loop over to Ouray on the second day. Is driving through Platoro any fun or is it not worth the time? I can't really find any pictures or trail rightups online for the area. Thanks for any info.

4.5" RE SF Lift, 1" BL, 35" Cooper Discoverer STT, Lockrite Locker, 8.8 Rear, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, Sliders, Skids, Bumpers, Rear Stinger, RockCrusher Diff Covers, 8000# Winch, Herc'd Tub, Homemade Deck Cover, On Board Misting System and Faucet
Unread 12-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
4crnrsco
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I was up there around 15 years ago, a friend had a cabin there. From what I remember, there was a little general store, and some kind of resort at a lake up there. We did some wheeling on the roads and a couple of trails; we didn't have real hard core trail rigs, so we didn't do anything real difficult.

The scenery up there is spectacular, and I'm sure there is plenty of wheeling to be had, as there are lots of forest roads, and I think quite a few mines in the area.

The Alpine Loop is cool, we did it this summer. We went over Ophir Pass to Silverton, did the whole Alpine Loop, and then went back over Imogene Pass to Telluride. This was over a few days; with some local side trips from Silverton thrown it.

Silverton is kind of a dumpy place to stay; next time I think we'll probably try staying in Ouray. If you're at Silverton, I think the Handlebar (bar and grill) is the best place for a meal and a drink. Of course Telluride is a cool place to hang out too.

Have fun!
3" lift with 33x12.50s

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.