Question for Colorado Members - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Question for Colorado Members

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 03-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Airborneguy8
2010 JK Wrangler 

Question for Colorado Members

I was stationed at Ft. Carson in the late 90's and still visit Colorado about once a year. I actually plan on moving back at some point. This year, we are meeting my friend and his family somewhere for a few days. We're looking to rent a cabin, and I'm hoping to do it near where we used to go fishing all of the time. Apparently, the fires from around 03'-04' (the ones set by the forest ranger) really screwed up the area and the road we always used might not be accessible. I want to see if anyone knows where I am talking about.

It's a tributary of the South Platte River. We turn onto CO Rd 77 just west of Lake George on Route 24. Take that a few miles in to CO Rd 211. We take this road up into the mountains for about 8-10 miles, then turn off down a 4x4 trail that drops down to the creek. I believe the creek is called Crystal Creek. I saved a snap shot off of Google Earth. You can see where I labeled the turnoff there is a road that goes down to the creek.

Is anyone familiar with this area and whether it's still accessible? My friend has two kids and is sort of lazy, so asking him to check it out before hand is pointless. He'd rather just skip it and go somewhere else, but I'm hoping we can hit it for old times sake. Thanks!

In the picture, it looks like its doable, but Google Earth could have imagery from years ago, so I'd rather hear it from someone who's been there.

crystal-creek.jpg  
Unread 03-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

dont hold me to this but from what I gather... Preditor 4x4 helped reopen the roads in that area. It is currently being debated who (state or countys) will maintain the roads. I believe this is the area you are thinking. It passes 3 counties, parker, elpaso and teller i think.

I am not too familiar with the area up here but I'd be up for some wheelin if you need some tag alongs.
Unread 03-15-2011, 01:57 AM   #3
GreenDevil
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I decided to do some research as I am pretty new to wheeling and don't know many places. I found that area on the Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs) put out by the Forest Service. The creek is called Corral Creek, and it is not open to motor vehicles of any kind. If you are interested in that area, Metburry Gulch, Longwater Gulch, and Hackett Gulch are in that area. Go to www.traildamage.com for info on those trails. Also, to view the MVUMs go to http://staythetrail.org/mvum/index.php
Unread 03-15-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

it was metberry gulch that I was thinkin of. It reopened in 07 after the hayman fire.

thanks for the mvum link. that is an awesome resource
Unread 03-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
Airborneguy8
2010 JK Wrangler 

Wow, I knew this forum would come through! Thanks GreenDevil. As soon I saw "Corral" I remembered. That's definitely it. That road was very steep, and I figured fixing it up would be impossible. That's a shame because down below was awesome fishing and camping in a reall-remote setting. Might have to hike it next time. Thanks for those sources.
Unread 03-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
GreenDevil
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy8 View Post
Wow, I knew this forum would come through! Thanks GreenDevil. As soon I saw "Corral" I remembered. That's definitely it. That road was very steep, and I figured fixing it up would be impossible. That's a shame because down below was awesome fishing and camping in a reall-remote setting. Might have to hike it next time. Thanks for those sources.
You're welcome. I think I'll have to check out that area too, as I love me some secluded camping and fishing.
Unread 03-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
Airborneguy8
2010 JK Wrangler 

I've actually been doing some more research. The most recent information I could find was from an environmental commission talking about progress in the area of the fire. Corral Creek Road is known as FR540, and it was slated for repair as of 2006. I couldn't find anything about whether the plans had been carried out. Someone from that commission must have traveled it though because the report said the road required a 4x4 vehicle with increased clearance due to fire damage.
Unread 03-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
GreenDevil
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I found the number for the South Platte Ranger District. That area is on the southern edge of the district. They might have good information about it. 303-275-5610
Unread 03-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

I'd recommend finding a different area, unless you like hanging out in a burned up forest. The hayman fire was very intense, and most of that area is still in pretty bad shape.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.