question for Colorado Jeepers...Poughkeepsie Gulch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > question for Colorado Jeepers...Poughkeepsie Gulch

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

question for Colorado Jeepers...Poughkeepsie Gulch

I will likely be traveling this summer with wife and two kids, from Louisiana to visit family near Cortez, Colorado. I hope to make the trip in my ’03 Rubi in order to hit some more of the scenic San Juan trails, including the Alpine Loop and perhaps Imogene and Black Bear Passes. We have made the trip to Colorado twice before in the Rubi, and I have thoroughly enjoyed trails such as Tincup, Hancock, and Tomichi Passes in the Gunnison area, and Corkscrew, Hurricane, California, Imogene, and Black Bear in the San Juans.
This time I was also toying with the idea of Poughkeepsie Gulch, but I have read enough about it to think I should ask up front – can I do it? Keeping a couple of important factors in mind; first, my ’03 Rubi is bone stock, right down to the original 31” MTRs (well worn at 43k miles) and second, when all is said and done I have to drive the thing 1300+ miles back home. I am keenly interested in avoiding serious breakage or body damage.

My real-world Jeeping experience is pretty much limited to the passes I listed, so I don’t pretend to be an experienced hard-core off-roader. I can skip Poughkeepsie if that’s what the consensus suggests.

Unread 04-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
pyrotyro
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Poughkeepsie Gulch is a very beautiful trail! and for the most part not too difficult. there is one, single obstacle i would worry about getting a stock jeep over:

that kinda gives you an idea of it, my XJ needed a little tug (before lockers... embarrassing!)

anyways, i think youd be fine, might be a good idea to go with another somewhat capable rig?
Unread 04-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the comments and the pic...always worth a thousand words, they say.

My Rubi is of course locked f/r, but the 31s don't offer that much clearance, especially when combined with the low hanging stock skid.

We'll see...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.