In Pueblo for 3-4 weeks. Any locals want to join me in the mountains? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > In Pueblo for 3-4 weeks. Any locals want to join me in the mountains?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

 
Unread 02-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
zatch83
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 371
In Pueblo for 3-4 weeks. Any locals want to join me in the mountains?

I've never done mountain driving before, but have always dreamed of taking my Jeep into the Rockies. Well, here's my chance. I'll be going to Pueblo, CO for Air Force pilot training stuff beginning March 21st. I will be there at least 3 weeks, but probably 4. I've been researching the area and found Hermit Pass among others. I can't wait to go, but I'd rather not go it alone. If anyone wants to join me on an expedition and maybe go camping too, that would be amazing.

Let me know
Thanks!

__________________
... /_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_/
...|[ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ]|
...|[_____________]|
..//ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ//
.//_____Jeep____//
|[O]||||||||||[O]|
zatch83 is offline  
Unread 02-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
mushroomax
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 25
PM me when you get in town - I might be able to show you some stuff.
mushroomax is offline  
Unread 02-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
colojeepguy
Registered User
1970 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado Springs CO
Posts: 1,064
Hermit pass (and any other high elevation trail) will be under 15 feet of snow in March. You could probably get in some lower elevation stuff, maybe Canon City area.
colojeepguy is offline  
Unread 02-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
zatch83
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 371
Oh snap. Didn't even think about that. Thanks for the head's up!
zatch83 is offline  
Unread 02-18-2011, 12:36 AM   #5
MCrock
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by colojeepguy View Post
Hermit pass (and any other high elevation trail) will be under 15 feet of snow in March. You could probably get in some lower elevation stuff, maybe Canon City area.
There is an area near Canon City called Temple Canyon. Its a simple dirt road but, there are some trails off them. Another great place to look is "The Bank" Which is north of Canon City simple trails there.

I see you have a 4.5 '' lift on your XJ. Maybe you would like to look at Patriot, Liberty or Independence Trail. These three trails are pure rock crawling. Body damage very possible. They are close to Penrose, CO. Or if you would like a nice simple scenic drive. A dirt road from Canon City to Victor/Cripple Creek is called Phantom Canyon. Self road and a big drop! Hope this helps!

Check them out on Trail Damage!

http://www.traildamage.com/google_colorado.php
__________________
-Mark
MCrock is offline  
Unread 02-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
zatch83
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 371
Thanks a lot. A friend of mine here at Laughlin suggested the traildamage site. It's so helpful! I don't plan on doing much rock crawling. I'd rather go for a scenic drive on a 3-5 rated trail with maybe a water crossing or two. How about campsites? My plan was to just drive up a mountain and make camp for the night. Is it mostly public land or how does the trail system work in CO? I'm from the midwest. Everything out there is a grid. haha
__________________
... /_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_/
...|[ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ]|
...|[_____________]|
..//ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ//
.//_____Jeep____//
|[O]||||||||||[O]|
zatch83 is offline  
Unread 02-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
colojeepguy
Registered User
1970 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado Springs CO
Posts: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatch83 View Post
I've never done mountain driving before, but have always dreamed of taking my Jeep into the Rockies. Well, here's my chance. I'll be going to Pueblo, CO for Air Force pilot training stuff beginning March 21st. I will be there at least 3 weeks, but probably 4. I've been researching the area and found Hermit Pass among others. I can't wait to go, but I'd rather not go it alone. If anyone wants to join me on an expedition and maybe go camping too, that would be amazing.

Let me know
Thanks!
OK , I'm gonna hijack here-Air Force training in Pueblo? I didn't know there were any USAF facilities down there. Can you tell us what's up with that?
colojeepguy is offline  
Unread 02-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
zatch83
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by colojeepguy View Post
OK , I'm gonna hijack here-Air Force training in Pueblo? I didn't know there were any USAF facilities down there. Can you tell us what's up with that?
It's not a major installation. We just use the local airport. Before any student goes through Undergraduate Pilot Training, they have to pass a centralized 3 week course called Initial Flight Screening. The Air Force would much rather have students wash out here than waste money putting them through the main course later only to have them fail. Why Pueblo? Not sure. It's not geographically centralized amongst the pilot training bases, but I'm sure there's a reason.

Students go through an intense academic session to include basics of flight, weather, and local flying procedures, as well as getting to do their first solo in an aircraft. We fly the Diamond DA-20. If you want more specific info, check it out on the link below. That's pretty much all I know now. I haven't been there yet. But I'm excited!!!!

http://www.dossifs.com/
__________________
... /_(_)_(_)_(_)_(_)_/
...|[ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ]|
...|[_____________]|
..//ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ//
.//_____Jeep____//
|[O]||||||||||[O]|
zatch83 is offline  
Unread 02-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
MCrock
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatch83 View Post
Thanks a lot. A friend of mine here at Laughlin suggested the traildamage site. It's so helpful! I don't plan on doing much rock crawling. I'd rather go for a scenic drive on a 3-5 rated trail with maybe a water crossing or two. How about campsites? My plan was to just drive up a mountain and make camp for the night. Is it mostly public land or how does the trail system work in CO? I'm from the midwest. Everything out there is a grid. haha
You can camp on most BLM, or Forest service land. As long as it doesn't say "no camping" Pretty laid back. Just tread softly and do not leave trash! Maintain a clean area so that the rest of us can continue to use it.

Have fun out there!!
__________________
-Mark
MCrock is offline  
Unread 02-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
colojeepguy
Registered User
1970 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado Springs CO
Posts: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatch83 View Post
It's not a major installation. We just use the local airport. Before any student goes through Undergraduate Pilot Training, they have to pass a centralized 3 week course called Initial Flight Screening. The Air Force would much rather have students wash out here than waste money putting them through the main course later only to have them fail. Why Pueblo? Not sure. It's not geographically centralized amongst the pilot training bases, but I'm sure there's a reason.

Students go through an intense academic session to include basics of flight, weather, and local flying procedures, as well as getting to do their first solo in an aircraft. We fly the Diamond DA-20. If you want more specific info, check it out on the link below. That's pretty much all I know now. I haven't been there yet. But I'm excited!!!!

http://www.dossifs.com/
Good luck & thanks for your service!
I work just across the road from the USAF Academy-the planes they use for training pass over us at low elevation all the time. They're different from the ones in the link you posted. The Academy also has a couple of Twin Otters used by the parachute team, and a very active glider program.
colojeepguy is offline  
Unread 03-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #11
Matty4x4
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pueblo, Colorado
Posts: 39
Medano Pass is by far my favorite plus its by the Great Sand Dunes. Hayden Pass is really nice to go camping, its out towards Salida. Uhm Cheyenne Mountains in Colorado Springs are nice too.

PM me when your here. ill try to get out with yall!
__________________
she even made me buy swar bars and wash it. this woman is a monster.

#236 Colorado Jeep Club Member
Matty4x4 is offline  
Unread 03-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #12
raynmaker
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: colorado springs, colorado
Posts: 700
Mar 19-20. Anyone in springs want to go wheelin?
__________________
Warning: This poster has infinite knowledge of useless information and redneck tendencies. Use info at your own discretion. :wave:
raynmaker is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.