Places to go, Sights to see in Colorado - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Places to go, Sights to see in Colorado

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 02-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #16
Yams
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colojeepguy View Post
And Craig? Really?
How else is he going to get into colorado? You come out of yellowstone on 287. He could come down from Saratoga, and hit all the camper traffic. Or he could come down thru Craig.

Either way, the Denver area has Evergreen, Black hawk, Aspen Park. And if he wants to continue to Pikes peak, he could drive highway 67 thru Deckers, to Woodland park. That's all kinds of good stuff.

Yams is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #17
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yams View Post
And if he wants to continue to Pikes peak, he could drive highway 67 thru Deckers, to Woodland park. That's all kinds of good stuff.
My back yard! My house is off 67 between Deckers & WP.
colojeepguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #18
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Look at western Colorado and norther Colorado. Rangely and Grand Junction. They melt off faster than the rest of us. The Cache La Poudre Canyon has some great trails and should open then. Grand Junction has some hardcore stuff. Rangely as well. Check out a website called http://www.traildamage.com/ these guys run all of the time and give frequent updates. I would not plan on anything in the high mountains at that time. 15 feet is not abnormal and so far this year we already 150% of normal and its only Feb. March is the heaviest snow month. I would not plan on our high trails being open until late August at this rate.
Unread 02-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #19
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Everyone has listed alot of great places to go, namely the Telluride/Ouray area being at the top of the "must-see" in my opinion. But again, like most people have mentioned, alot of the best places require being at high elevations, which definitley will mean snow until at least late May. I tried Imogene Pass the last week of May, and it had drifts of about 7 feet in some spots (albeit we were in my girlfriends stock XJ with baldies). I don't know if I missed it in the thread Billz, but are you looking for more tourist stuff, or more wheely-fun stuff?
brianestep is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #20
brianestep
2000 WJ 

So I guess your original post kind of answered my question... short attention span... coming down 287 from Yellowstone would put you into Fort Collins, which is Microbrewery Capital of the World (and my stomping grounds). From here you could head right up to Estes Park (Rocky Mountain National Park), which is basically the essence of America. Wildlife, views, splendor... Pop out the back side of RMNP, to highway 40, through Granby (Grand Lake is nice as well) and Winter Park, and then either take 70 west to Silverthorne and Frisco, then HWY 9 down to COSPRINGS, or take Guanella Pass from Georgetown (where you're guaranteed to see bighorn sheep) to 285 to 9. Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs is better than Pikes Peak in my opinion, but really if youre there, you can do both. Thats alot of stuff, probably cant do it all. Just some vague recommendations.
Unread 02-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #21
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Great! Thanks for the recommendations. Based on the timeframe for this trip, it seems pretty unlikely that we'll be able to hit the Alpine Loop around the Ouray area due to snowfall. There are some trails in my area that don't open until July due to snow and those only go to the 6500-7000' range, so I'd imagine the 7000-12000' range would be just a little bit snowy!

Microbrewery capital of the world sounds great, except I can't drink (medication). Sad face!

So looking at teh Googles, Highway 34 looks pretty promising except it says it is closed in the winter. Would this be open by May?
billzcat1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #22
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Yea Billz, 34 is the loop from Estes Park up through Rocky Mountain National Park. Also called Trail Ridge Road, it think it's the highest continuous road in the US, so that's a nice bonus! I wanna say it opens up in May, maybe around Memorial Day (seems like they always try and get it open for holiday weekend). Beautiful Drive, and there's a lot to do and see in RMNP! Camping, wildlife, views. Pretty damn nice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.