passing on through - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > passing on through

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 03-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
c-manxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

passing on through

im putting together a wheeling trip for myself and a few buddies to go on before our deployment. the trip will take place this coming september. some of our route is currently anticipated to travel basically from san diego to oklahoma city. im looking for some moderate to difficult trails that we can hit on that basic route, as well as any cool landmarks. also, if anyone has an offroad club or good area guide, some contact info would be greatly appreciated so i can get some first hand info from people that have run the trails before we venture on out. basic vehicle specs we are running: lockers front and rear, 33" tires, armor and tow points. thanks

USMC
c-manxj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
ff33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry if this is a dumb question but are you coming through Colorado?
Unread 03-31-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
c-manxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

we will probably go through colorado. i would like to see the rockies

USMC
Unread 03-31-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
ff33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well check out traildamage.com it will be a great resource. If your looking for moderate to difficult trails with your set up I would recommend holy cross, chinaman gulch, spring creek, mt. Blanca, wheeler lake and probably some others I am forgetting. I have run all of the above trails in my old rig which was an 02 Tacoma f/r locked on 33's, cant wait to get the jeep out on them, I just bought it in October. Wheeler lake really isn't difficult I just thought it was fun, spring creeks rock garden depending on your line can be anywhere from easy to hard, chinamans is also not super challenging but just a fun trail with some moderate wheeling and a couple difficult lines to choose, Mt. Blanca was a definite challenge for me on 33's, I had to pull line a couple of times and was the trail that made me decide to get gears and a front locker, and holy cross is probably one of the most fun/most popular trails around and despite what others might say is definitely doable with 33's. Have fun and let me know when your around for some wheeling.
Unread 04-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #5
c-manxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

those are all colorado trails? we have decided to skip wheeling in arizona and concentrate more on colorado...

USMC
Unread 04-02-2011, 06:26 AM   #6
ff33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yes they are, depending on your time frame they might not all be feasible since they are pretty far apart. If it was me I would time it to get to chinamans first early in the morning, from there head north and camp next to holy cross trail head, next day run holy cross. Depending on traffic/breakage holy cross can be an all day run so either camp there again or start to head east and try to camp near wheeler lake trailhead. If you start wheeler lake early enough you should be able to do wheeler lake and spring creek in one day, I've never done it but I would day it's possible. From there I would grab a hotel some where down in Denver and enjoy a night out. Next morning leave early and try to be to blanca as early as possible. If you want to run up camp at the lake near the end of blanca then wake up the next morning jeep out and continue on your way. But check out that link I gave you, you have plenty of time to plan your own trip with it. It has pictures, trail ratings, descriptions, directions and gps coordinates.
Unread 04-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
c-manxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

thanks man. that is some great help. much appreciated

USMC
Unread 04-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
MGDWJ
2004 WJ 

Check out the Canadian river north of Amarillo Texas. Its free you just need a offhighway vehical sticker. If I am on days off then you come thru I can show y'all around out there. There is a lot of knarly ****.
Unread 04-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
MPTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You coming down BY FT Hood? If so let me know and we will hit up Hidden Falls.
MPTJ is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.