Ouray/Telluride Trip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Ouray/Telluride Trip

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 01-12-2011, 01:34 AM   #1
242TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ouray/Telluride Trip

A small group (5 rigs) of us from WA are planning a trip out to Moab and SW Colorado this coming summer. I wanted to see if anyone here knows of some trip reports I could look at to get an idea of how people spend their time in this area of CO. We will be in the Ouray area for at least two full days.

We are trying to figure out if we want to base out of a town like Ouray or Silverton, or move around and camp on the trails. Campgrounds with a shower would be ideal, there are a couple families going that will want that more often. Any chance there are places in nearby towns to pay for a shower if you camp on the trail? I have read that there are some trails that you are not allowed to camp on, Yankee Boy Basin and parts of the Alpine Loop. Which trails are best for camping on if you go that route?

Any information on personal experience in the area or trip reports you know of would be helpful.

242TJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Here are a couple of my observations. There are campgrounds at Ouray I don't know about Telluride or Silverton. Ouray is a lot prettier than Silverton.
foggybottombob is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
ff33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

There is not to much camping off of Engineer pass but there are tons of camping spots off of cinnamon pass. When I went we found some good camping spots near where engineer pass and Poughkeepsie Gulch intersect and the next day found some really good camping at the intersection to cinnamon pass and the american basin trail. Can't help you out on the shower part or campgrounds though, sorry.

The best reference I can give you is to check out traildamage.com for trip reports and pictures and post your question on colorado4x4.org, I'm sure there are some people on there that can help you out.
Unread 01-13-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
242TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info guys. We still have plenty of time to research options. Sounds like Ouray is a nicer place to stay than Silverton though.

Is Silverton worth stopping in, or just drive through?
Unread 01-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242TJ View Post

Is Silverton worth stopping in, or just drive through?
Worth checking out for sure! I love steam trains, so I have to be there when the Durango & Silverton RR train pulls into town. If you have the "better half" with you, she'll want to check out all the touristy/artsy/junk shops. Also take a few minutes (it's a small town) to just drive around town & check out all the vintage Jeeps & other 4x4's parked around town.
colojeepguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

I am not sure that you are being fair to yourself by just staying a few days in the Ouray - Silverton- Telluride area. There is so so much there. I have stayed in Ouray and found it to be a great place, good camp ground, showers etc. I was there for 4 day last summer with a fast paced agenda and fell like I missed 3/4 of what was there.

As a planner and scheduler, my thoughts are to work out of Silverton on another trip (better logistics) but I am not sure about the camp grounds, rv parks, showers etc. So that is a debate fore me.

Most important take you time there. It is a great place to take a jeep. Below is a thread that I did taking in 4 passes etc in half a day. That is do-able, but we probably missed a lot (a thunder storm that day didn't help much either).

Here are some links from this forum that spell out some of the adventure there. In planning your trip, mid July is a soon as you want to be there, as some snow has not melted or been cleared away for some passes. I am of the intent to take another trip this summer with some of my jeep frends from here (thus the Silverton vs Ouray question), if it works out would be great to meet you there.

In any case HAVE FUN!!!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f58/8...dition-604018/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f58/4...hours-1079407/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f58/i...-10-a-1072465/
h2ojeep is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
242TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If anyone wants to run some trails with us, that would be cool, maybe someone with some experience on Black Bear Pass. I hear its intense!

I have some family up by Paonia that I have not seen in a while, so that is one of my three full days in CO right there.

The plan is to leave on Friday afternoon August 26, get to Provo UT mid day Saturday and see a friend. Sunday we are driving into Arches and hiking and staying in Moab that night. Then two nights in Canyonlands. Wednesday the 31st we are heading out from the Needles District via Beef Basin and the ruins there.

We can get to Ouray or Silverton by the evening of the 31st. We need Labor Day and the Sunday before it to drive back to WA, so three days max, but I am only giving myself two so I can see some family. Quite the whirlwind tour really. Labor Day Monday helps a little, but I really wish I had more than a week, and more time in CO. Its hard trying to get 8 people on the same page about how to spend our week.

I want to prioritize our short time there, but not plan an unrealistic itinerary. I was thinking one full day could be Ouray down 550 to Black Bear, Imogene Pass, and Yankee Boy / Governor Basin, and back to Ouray. Does that seem like way too much for one day?

Second day I wanted to do Poughkeepsie and California, but not sure what to hit after that. Maybe something that would take us down to Silverton so we could check out that town.

Thanks for all the input and ideas everyone.

-Tony
Unread 01-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242TJ View Post

I want to prioritize our short time there, but not plan an unrealistic itinerary. I was thinking one full day could be Ouray down 550 to Black Bear, Imogene Pass, and Yankee Boy / Governor Basin, and back to Ouray. Does that seem like way to much for one day?

-Tony
I've done the Black Bear/Yankee Boy/Imogene loop in a day, no problem. Plan on a full day & being tired & happy when you're done!
colojeepguy is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.