Ouray, CO Trail Maps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Ouray, CO Trail Maps

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
242TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ouray, CO Trail Maps

Anyone know where I can find good 4x4 trail maps for the Ouray/Telluride, CO area?

Thanks.

Unread 08-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Jaybob7

Our best bet is to go to a map store and get a Topo map. I had to.

[LEFT][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f123/"]Colorado Jeep Club Meber #205[/URL][/LEFT]
Unread 08-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
242TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybob7 View Post
Our best bet is to go to a map store and get a Topo map. I had to.
So most of the trails would be marked on a topo map? I will look into that. I am thinking about a 10 day trip from WA through Moab, to Ouray, and then back.
Unread 08-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
Jaybob7

I have the following book from this website FunTreks Guidebooks and its awesome. I will take some pics of the pages and PM them to you. That way you don't have to spend money on the book since you are only visiting.

[LEFT][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f123/"]Colorado Jeep Club Meber #205[/URL][/LEFT]
Unread 08-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
jaxs1984
2009 JK Wrangler 

It just so happens I just got back from the exact trip your describing. I went from Chicago to Estes Park to Moab to Ouray to Silverton and then a BIG detour through Gunninson to Crested Butt and then back to Chicago.

Everyone is different depending on how to "read" a map. I used the following maps and still got "lost"

1. The Books at funtreks.com by Charles A. Wells , I purchased Moab and Colorado
2. Stock Nuvi GPS
3. National Geographic Trails Illustrated Moab North, Moab South, Arches Park (excellant off-roading ) Canyonlands , and Durango Cortez, Telluride, Silverton, Ouray , Lake City.

In ALL the cities they have specialized maps just for the trails you want. I purchased the "Jeep Trails of the San Juans plus Historic Mining Towns"

You would purchase a ToPo map to see how HIGH you might be. If you have altitude sickness this can really help out and the terrain.

Most of the "trails" are marked at the beginning and at some cross-roads but sometimes you can get "lost" real quickly and get confused. A line on a map is totally different then the real thing.

I would also suggest to read about ALL the trails and then pick one or two for a day and have a game plan. Or you would just get over-whelmed with the possibilities. Also, some of the trails are "short" about 5-10 miles but it would take you a half a day to complete because you would be going about 5-10 mph and stop/look,etc..

If you have any other questions just PM me, I just got back. And, planning the trip again.

BTW, you gotta take highway 128 from Colorado coming into Moab.
Unread 08-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

+1 on the trail book from Charles Wells. It's worth it's weight in gold on the trail.
Unread 08-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
242TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the information guys. I think it is going to be an awesome trip.
Unread 09-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
fredrok
1985 CJ7 

Funtreks books also offer GPS downloads. GPS Downloads : FunTreks Guidebooks

Download them to your handheld GPS and be done "hunting" trails....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.