Moving: MI to CO Work Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Moving: MI to CO Work Questions

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
Laid-Off
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Moving: MI to CO Work Questions

I am looking at moving from Grand Rapids, MI to Colorado. I currently work in the Industrial Water Pump and Boiler Feed Pump field with Hydraulic Cylinder Repair experience. I have been out to CO at the Ft. St. Vrain power plant removing, repairing, and installing their boiler-feed pumps. I liked the area, I liked the people and the scenery. I was in the Greeley and Longmont area both times and visited Boulder, Ft. Collins, and Denver after work.

Any info about the job market, housing, and career suggestions needed. Looking at visiting during spring break April 2-11. I am 37 w/family looking for possibly a 4 bedroom home and a job that could afford it.

I also have a CDL with Doubles, Tankers, and Hazardous Material endorsements with 8 years of Heavy-Haul experience.

Any help from fellow JeepForum Members is appreciated. PM or Post

Unread 03-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Ft Collins & Boulder are both college towns (expensive!) but some of the outlying areas aren't as bad. I don't know much about industrial pumps, but with a CDL & all your trucking experience you shouldn't have any problem finding work in that field.
Unread 03-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
1RustyXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I realize that you might like to live here (I know we do), but if you have a good job there, I don't know if I'd leave it. We moved here because I was offered a better position. We lived in Omaha.
The economy is bad everywhere, not just MI. There are tons of people here without work and a lot of people have been let go at my work.

Another thing to consider is cost of living. It is WAY higher here than in MI. Your housing costs will go way up, so you will need a pretty good raise to make it worth the move.

Sorry to go on and on. I would just suggest securing a job here before any talk of moving, that's all.

But if you like the mountains, this is the place to be...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.