KC MO Area - 94 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > KC MO Area - 94 YJ

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-22-2010, 07:22 AM   #1
jdwyatt1972
1994 YJ Wrangler 

KC MO Area - 94 YJ

I bought a stock 94 YJ a year ago and am ready to start restoring it. Its in decent shape, but is in need of upgrades and repairs. I have many questions since I am not very skilled in this stuff.

Suspension - I want to put 33's on it...what is the best suspension for a smooth ride as I plan on driving daily? Anyone in the KC Mo area specialize in suspensions of this type?

Engine - the engine is knocking and has 170,000 miles on it. Should I replace, rebuild, repair??? The only advice I have gotten was to put a 350 in it rather than going with the 4.7 Stroker modification...to save money. Anyone in the KC MO area specialize in this type of work?

Body/Paint - I am going to need some parts replace and a paint job. Anyone in the KC Mo area do restoration projects?

The big jobs I will find someone experienced to tackle, but the rest I will do myself. Any suggestions?

Jeff - Greenwood, MO

Unread 10-14-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
4wdparakeet
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Suspension-- BDS makes a reasonable product that has an awesome warranty.

Engine-- I don't know what it's got in it but if it's a 2.5L then swap in a 4.7 Stoker and be done with it.

Body-- Lots of them around but expensive. Your best bet is to use google and find the best deal

If you need someone to do the big jobs get ahold of Mike at 4x4Land in Topeka. It's a little bit of a drive but there is nobody better and reasonable in the area. Avoid CHUX TRUX like the plauge, unless you like low riders and wolf pictures on your back window...

Parakeet

89 XJ that ain't much to look at but it get's me there and makes the wife jealous.

Used Part Whore --- Don't judge.
Unread 10-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
jdwyatt1972
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hey, wish you would have posted earlier...I just had a BDS 3.5 inch lift, Dick Cepek wheels, and 33" Dick Cepek Mud Countries installed at CHUX TRUX!!! I haven't had any trouble and it is riding smooth.

I will contact that place in Topeka, they were on my list to contact.

I have some tranny work (Syncronizer, etc) work to be done and I do want to stroke my existing engine, but I don't want to do the crate engine...tooo much money. Does 4x4 land also handle body/paint?

Thanks for your help!!

Jeff Wyatt
Greenwood, MO
Unread 10-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
4wdparakeet
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Call Mike at 4x4land and see what he says about the body work.

As for the stroker find a blown 258 and steel the crank. I paid about 3k for my stroker but I didn't feel comfy assembling it myself so I had Straighline performance in Independence do the work. Awesome to work with and very reasonable priced. If you have the tools to do the engine build yourself then you can almost cut that into half or less.

Mine has forged pistons ($600 for the set) and lunati voodoo cam (cheaper than comp cams and no worn lobe issues) and a few other parts that pushed my build price up. The machine shop decked the block and a 5 angle valve job on a 96ish head on an 89 block. Find some 24lb injectors Mustang injectors on Ebay. Check out www.jeepstrokers.com for good info on strokers.

Parakeet

89 XJ that ain't much to look at but it get's me there and makes the wife jealous.

Used Part Whore --- Don't judge.
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
98JZ
1998 ZJ 

Well, since you already got it done. I used to live in Greenwood and now live in Kingsville. Just a few miles East.

If you ever need any help. I am a ASE Cert. ex-tech. Always looking for things to keep me busy besides my own projects.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.