I'm apparently driving Albuquerque to Telluride, mid Nov... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > I'm apparently driving Albuquerque to Telluride, mid Nov...

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-21-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
madrabbitt

I'm apparently driving Albuquerque to Telluride, mid Nov...

My son's godmother asked me if I can drive her to Telluride on Nov 15th. Since I apparently have nothing better to do, and cheeseburgers were promised, i guess I need to do some research.

The plan is US550 from Albuquerque, quick stop in Farmington for fuel, then north on 550 to whatever road takes me there after Durango.

Anyone familiear with that area that can give me any information I need to be aware of?

Road conditions.

Chain requirements.

Weather I should expect (I assume snow and cold)

Anything else I need to know.

Thanks in advance.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
Unread 10-22-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well, Hwy 550 doesn't actually go to Farmington, but it is the best bet from Albuquerque as far as Bloomfield, NM. From there you have a couple of logical options.

(a) continue north on 550 to Durango, then Hwy 160 west to Cortez, then Hwy 145 north to Telluride.

(b) at Bloomfield, leave 550 and go west on Hwy 64 through Farmington to Shiprock, then north on Hwy 491 to Cortez, and 145 from there to Telluride.

Hwy 145 from Cortez to Telluride goes over Lizard Head Pass, at around 10200 ft or so, which could be snowy. In mid-November, I think the entire route can be pretty much hit or miss as far as snow and cold...could be clear and dry, could be a blizzard. Clear and dry is probably a little more likely until you get to the Colorado mountains, but you never know. Would be a good idea to be prepared.

You might already know that the stretch of 550 from Bernallilo (just north of Albuquerque) to Bloomfield is pretty scarce on services (gas, food, bathrooms) so take that into consideration.
Unread 10-22-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
madrabbitt

Full tank of gas upon leaving albuquerque, and refuel in Farmington. Either at Sam's or Smiths, whichever is cheaper. Then back to 550 and north thru Durango was the original plan.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
Unread 10-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well, as I was sayin', 550 doesn't go directly through Farmington. It goes through Bloomfield (about 15 miles east of Farmington), then through Aztec and on up to Durango. If you left 550 at Bloomfield to gas up in Farmington and then went back to 550 at Bloomfield, you will have gone around 30 miles (roundtrip) out of your way.

If you are set on gassin' up in Farmington, you could use option (b) I listed above

or I guess option (b1) could be to leave 550 at Bloomfield, go west on 64 to Farmington, and then north on NM 170, which becomes CO 140 at the state line. This would intercept Hwy 160 at Hesperus, then you could turn west on 160 to Cortez and on up 145 to Telluride.
Unread 10-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
madrabbitt

30 miles out of my way is probably ok, more food choices in farmington. Although, i'll look at a map for the second option.

I'm trying to figure out exactly where our final destination is, I dont think its in the actual city limits, i think its further west, nearer the airport.

I've driven the albuquerque to farmington route a few times, theres a TJX store up there thats in our service area, but its been a while since i've been there last (which is probably a good thing for us)

Unread 11-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
madrabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxbicon View Post
or I guess option (b1) could be to leave 550 at Bloomfield, go west on 64 to Farmington, and then north on NM 170, which becomes CO 140 at the state line. This would intercept Hwy 160 at Hesperus, then you could turn west on 160 to Cortez and on up 145 to Telluride.

I actually came back that way.

I ended up doing 550 to bloomfield, did the round trip to farmington for fuel, then back to 550/160/145 to mountain village, then came back via CO140/NM 170.

550 had gotten major snow and ice saturday between cuba and farmington, which caused 2 major wrecks, one with a fatality. Sunday it still had snow and ice, but wasnt too bad.

145 had some snow and ice on it as well, and it started snowing towards the end of the trip, between rico and mountain village... but it was mostly clear monday morning when I came home.

Also, had brand new tires (non-revo dualer at's) put on the day before, and they impressed the hell out of me on the snow and ice.

Thanks for everyone's help

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.