How is Kansas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > How is Kansas?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Jbecker
2005 TJ Wrangler 

How is Kansas?

Let me preface this post with some background. I currently live in the St.Louis MO area. North of St.Louis in Illinois. It's a rural area, but unless you own a good bit of ground, jeeping opportunities are VERY limitied. I recently graduated Tech school and landed a job for a rep. of a large automation company. The job was almost a surprise. I had plans to move to the western states or to Alaska to find work. I really like to hunt, fish, ride my motorcycle (KLR 250) and play in the jeep. The company I work for has a territory, all of KS and most of MO. We have 3 offices in KS.

Now, in about 3 years I'll most likely be the lead guy in my division. I'm really thinking about moving to Kansas if the administration would allow it. I'm just rolling the idea around, not set in stone or anything. I like my current rural lifestyle as my nearest neighbor is 1/4 miles away and I don't have to lock my doors at the gas station... I'd kinda like to keep that.

Our offices are in Wichita, Lenexa, and Liberal.
Do any of these areas offer decent hunting, jeeping, and other outdoor activities?

Thanks for the consideration.

Unread 08-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
TigerRobb

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Lenexa is a suburb of Kansas City. Wichita has about 600,000 people in the metro area. Liberal is way out in Western Kansas on the border of Oklahoma. I'm sure there are hunting and other activities, similar to what you do now.

I travel this area for work on a very irregular schedule and I wouldn't move out there, but I have other factors that prevent it. Hope this helps.
Unread 08-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbecker View Post
Let me preface this post with some background. I currently live in the St.Louis MO area. North of St.Louis in Illinois. It's a rural area, but unless you own a good bit of ground, jeeping opportunities are VERY limitied. I recently graduated Tech school and landed a job for a rep. of a large automation company. The job was almost a surprise. I had plans to move to the western states or to Alaska to find work. I really like to hunt, fish, ride my motorcycle (KLR 250) and play in the jeep. The company I work for has a territory, all of KS and most of MO. We have 3 offices in KS.

Now, in about 3 years I'll most likely be the lead guy in my division. I'm really thinking about moving to Kansas if the administration would allow it. I'm just rolling the idea around, not set in stone or anything. I like my current rural lifestyle as my nearest neighbor is 1/4 miles away and I don't have to lock my doors at the gas station... I'd kinda like to keep that.

Our offices are in Wichita, Lenexa, and Liberal.
Do any of these areas offer decent hunting, jeeping, and other outdoor activities?

Thanks for the consideration.
how far north of st. louis. cause there are about 5 different offroad parks all with in 2 hours of the city.
Unread 08-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
Jbecker
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005X View Post
how far north of st. louis. cause there are about 5 different offroad parks all with in 2 hours of the city.

Familiar with Hardin? Calhoun County perhaps? I know there are a few around...

I'm not moving JUST for offroad activities. Maybe my initial post portrayed my intentions wrong. More for a change of pace type of thing. One of those, I'm 20 with a "real job", lived here all my life, tired of the same people, I'll miss the hell out of it if I leave type of things.

It's just an idea that I've been entertaining, nothing set in stone.
Unread 08-06-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
tacjeep99

Kansas? To answer all 3 of your concerns in one word, No.

Wichita is a good 2 hours from any decent 4 wheeling, Tuttle Creek and Kansas Rocks are the only 2 areas in South Central Kansas that could be considered convenient. Little Sahara in Oklahoma is about 3 hours south and west, full of ATVs any more though. Lenexa is closer to Tuttle Creek than Wichita. Liberal?????? Full of illegals, gangs, and for a city of it's size, a rough town. Don't know anything about Lenexa other than it is a suburb of KC.

There is hunting around Wichita, but generally you have to know somebody, the minute the farmers see Sedgwick County plates, they will tell you to get lost. There are some Wildlife and Parks Game Management Areas within 30 minutes to an hour from the city limits, but like all public hunting areas, not the best. Liberal is in an area of Kansas known for Pheasant and Quail, but again, probably have to know someone or have a lease.

Don't get me wrong, born and raised in Kansas, I like living here, but living in Kansas comes with some shortcomings if you like to Jeep. For instance when my friends and I want to go Jeeping and camping, we go to Colorado, 12-14 hours away. We do some Jeeping locally, but all we go on is some undeveloped roads that we know about in the surrounding counties. As far as hunting, I grew up in a rural town west of Wichita, all my running buddies in school and college are now farmers or ranchers, and they don't hold the Sedgwick County thing against me. I know for a fact, anybody else shows up with Sedgwick County plates asking to hunt their land, they tell them no.
Unread 08-07-2010, 06:06 AM   #6
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Familiar with Hardin? Calhoun County perhaps? I know there are a few around...

I'm not moving JUST for offroad activities. Maybe my initial post portrayed my intentions wrong. More for a change of pace type of thing. One of those, I'm 20 with a "real job", lived here all my life, tired of the same people, I'll miss the hell out of it if I leave type of things.

It's just an idea that I've been entertaining, nothing set in stone.
i live about 30 minutes from there in wood river. in fact ill be up that way next sat. to eat at whittmonds hotel in brussels
Unread 08-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
Jbecker
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacjeep99 View Post
Kansas? To answer all 3 of your concerns in one word, No.

Wichita is a good 2 hours from any decent 4 wheeling, Tuttle Creek and Kansas Rocks are the only 2 areas in South Central Kansas that could be considered convenient. Little Sahara in Oklahoma is about 3 hours south and west, full of ATVs any more though. Lenexa is closer to Tuttle Creek than Wichita. Liberal?????? Full of illegals, gangs, and for a city of it's size, a rough town. Don't know anything about Lenexa other than it is a suburb of KC.

There is hunting around Wichita, but generally you have to know somebody, the minute the farmers see Sedgwick County plates, they will tell you to get lost. There are some Wildlife and Parks Game Management Areas within 30 minutes to an hour from the city limits, but like all public hunting areas, not the best. Liberal is in an area of Kansas known for Pheasant and Quail, but again, probably have to know someone or have a lease.

Don't get me wrong, born and raised in Kansas, I like living here, but living in Kansas comes with some shortcomings if you like to Jeep. For instance when my friends and I want to go Jeeping and camping, we go to Colorado, 12-14 hours away. We do some Jeeping locally, but all we go on is some undeveloped roads that we know about in the surrounding counties. As far as hunting, I grew up in a rural town west of Wichita, all my running buddies in school and college are now farmers or ranchers, and they don't hold the Sedgwick County thing against me. I know for a fact, anybody else shows up with Sedgwick County plates asking to hunt their land, they tell them no.
Thank you much. That's kinda what I was afraid of... Guess I'll just use my vacation days and take a trip to CO when I get a "real"
jeep...

Hey 2005X, do you know much about the jeep club up in pittsfield? My buddy was at the lake camping and he said there were jeeps all over. Talked to a couple of the guys, evidently they do a fair deal of 'wheeling up there.
Unread 08-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Hey 2005X, do you know much about the jeep club up in pittsfield? My buddy was at the lake camping and he said there were jeeps all over. Talked to a couple of the guys, evidently they do a fair deal of 'wheeling up there.
twice a year they have a huge jeep safari it pittsfield IL. i think the club is tiwn rivers jeep
Unread 08-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
tazer15
2005 LJ Wrangler 

ks

yes couple places mentioned above to wheel in ks nothing special ks rock is cool ive heard alot of bad about tuttle unless you like mud no serious rocks there.im not wasting the gas to see for myself.but there are several in mo,ok,ark,tx that are 3 to 8hrs away from wichita that is.i lived in kc(lenexa) nice place to live i love the kc area but very "big city oriented".liberal no thanks!as for the hunting depends on what you want to hunt ive been in the archery business (hobby and professional) in ks for alot of years so im basing this off of bowhunting.if your serious theres no better whitetail except maybe iowa in the midwest to hunt the big boys but your gunna have to lease your ground.hope this helps
Unread 08-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
TigerRobb

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The group in Pittsfield is Two Rivers Jeep Club.
Unread 08-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #11
PurpleZJ
1996 ZJ 

i live in both manhattan ks and kansas city. kc i live with my parents and manhattan i live there for school at kstate. as much as i love the convenience of kc i absolutely love manhattan. plenty to do plus i'm only a half hour away from tuttle creek. one of my favorite wheeling spots. lenexa is a nice area lots of nice housing and such. wichita i wouldnt wanna move there. and liberal i went out there to hunt, good hunting but i'd never want to move there
1996 ZJ- 4.0, [COLOR="Purple"]AX-15 5SPD/NP242[/COLOR], RE 4.5" lift, 36x12.50x16.5 Goodyear military surplus tires, Longarms/Tri-4 link/one ton axle build/swap in progress, arb bumper, a bunch of other goodies
1995 XJ- 4.0 HO, ax-15(stolen for swap), stock
2001 GMC Sonoma-RIP...
2002 GMC Sierra 1500 ECSB-roadtrip/long haul vehicle
[CENTER][COLOR="Blue"]RIP Troy (bigbluezj94) you wont be forgotten[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"]December 2010 GCOTM[/COLOR]

5spd ZJ Club Member 001
[/CENTER]

[QUOTE=bddisi;6376248]Glad you are ok. If you were a cat, you would be down to 8.:D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Greengc4x4;10782815]Everything looks great, Hellen Keller! :D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=rritch;10960201]plastic + Fuel + Ignition = "Bubba wake up this is gonna be good" :rofl:[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Purple"]RIP William Anthony Kolich(DAD)
you were the best father i could have wished for. I'll always miss you
04/28/58-2/13/11[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.