Houston to Colorado Springs trip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Houston to Colorado Springs trip

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 11-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #1
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Houston to Colorado Springs trip

The wife and I are thinking about moving to Colorado but before we do we want to see what its like in the winter time. So for Christmas vacation we are going to stay with her relatives in Colorado springs.

We are going to leave out of Houston on the 28th and hope to drive straight through like we did in the summer.

What I was wondering about is whats the drive going to be like, do I need to avoid Raton Pass or any other areas. Also I know I need to buy a set of chains, any suggestions on chains? Also is there any thoughts on things I should add, change or bring with me in the Jeep?

I've driven in snow and ice before just never with both in the mountains in the middle of winter.

FOG

In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Watch the weather forecast-if there's snow forecast for southern CO, the avoid Raton. You can come up thru the TX panhandle (most boring drive on earth) and hit US 50 into Pueblo instead. Usually around Christmas the weather is not too bad here, but you never know...
colojeepguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Weather is everything that time of year. I drove from COS down to Childers TX two Decembers ago. Raton Pass was fine but there was sheet ice for 150 miles through the TX panhandle. I stayed in 4wd in my toyota pickup for that whole 150 mile stretch. There were cars in the median and off the side of the road everywhere. Many of them were upside down. Another trip through Raton in winter had us sitting and waiting for about 2 hrs while snow plows cleared snow off the pass. So check the weather forecast before you go. You will cover so much ground on that trip that you will likely encounter lots of different weather on the way.
foggybottombob is online now   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.