Has anyone wheeled on Black Gap road in Big Bend? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Has anyone wheeled on Black Gap road in Big Bend?

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doorsJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 04-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
Bastidjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Has anyone wheeled on Black Gap road in Big Bend?

Just curious on the difficulty? Is it doable without lockers?

Unread 04-13-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't been out to Big Bend in years. Planning on going once I get back to the states in a few weeks. Once I hit Panther Junction, I don't know where I'll end up. I've seen some good areas though. I've seen the Rio Grande rise over 10 feet out by Hot Springs. That would be a good place for a short little off road stint.
Unread 04-13-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
Bastidjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm hoping to head out there during memorial day weekend.
Unread 04-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's going to be nice this time of year too. Take some pictures.
Unread 04-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
shoeless
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You won't need a locker for Black Gap Road. You probably won't really need 4wd. There is one section that if you are going North to South where it goes up a slight rocky section that turns to the right, other than that I think I used it to get through some of the dry stream beds the road goes through just to make sure I didn't tear it up.

I did it stock as well. Had an issue where something damaged the fuel pump wiring and had to be towed to Ft Stockton. Really sucks because it was a simple issue and just the way things worked out I didn't have the time to diagnose it on the spot and save myself the $450 tow bill.

Cell reception is almost nonexistent there.
Unread 04-16-2010, 12:35 AM   #6
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

A stock Jeep should make fairly easy work of the road. The only spot that might give you a little trouble is the "Gap" itself. And honestly, that's not really bad at all. Use your head and be prepared. You're pretty much on your own out there.

A previous discussion is here.

Enjoy. It's one of my favorite spots to go camping and get lost for a long weekend.

Some photos from my last fall trip.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.