Galveston, TX folks :: RE - driveable beaches - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Galveston, TX folks :: RE - driveable beaches

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Rear Leaf Spring (4 Leaf) Pair1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 08-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
Big_Fisch
2002 WJ 

Galveston, TX folks :: RE - driveable beaches

So, the wife and I are headed to Galveston for a few days and we're taking the BubbleJ.
I was just curious as to any info on legal driving beaches there.
I've done some online research and can't find specifics, but have found info to suggest that there are areas that can be driven on.
I was looking for further details on these beaches and any procedures necessary (permits, etc).

Let a bruva know!

http://thesportsaffiliate.com/wp-con...0907-ufc88.gif
Unread 08-27-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
Rescue1
2009 JK Wrangler 

you can drive all along the beach from the toll bridge to surfside. or from boliver on up. i don't belive there is any driving on the island. check out the blue water hwy between the toll brdge and surfide. not crowded and you can drive for a long ways.

or check out bryan beach, south of freeport. only about 5 miles long but you can drive on that one also.

have fun!
Unread 08-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
Big_Fisch
2002 WJ 

Sweet...thanks for the info.

Unread 09-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

I don't know if you're going to check back on this thread again, but as I understand it, any beach that's not in the city limits is pretty much open access to cars. There might be some county beach set aside as not open, but it's not much. From town, just head south on the Seawall Blvd ( F.M. 3005) till you find the car accessible entrances and once on the beach you keep going south. The further south, the less "crowded" till you hit the San Louis Pass channel cut. Or you can head north out of town on the Bolivar Ferry (Seawall Blvd and 2nd St/Ferry Rd) to Crystal Beach but I don't know how bad off that area still is after last year's hurricane.

Good luck and keep the Jeep out of the dunes. There's some pretty decent fines for doing so.
Unread 09-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
Big_Fisch
2002 WJ 

Thanks TexasWJ.

I thought I would go ahead and follow up with what I found, for future reference.

We did a lot of beach basking and bike riding, so I didn't explore the area too incredibly much, but what I found is that, if you are staying anywhere on the main Galveston island and you want to actually pull on to the beach with your vehicle and park there where you are chilling, aside from what Texas_WJ said, you have two main options that I found.

A) East beach ... the eastern tip of the island. Popular beach for partying, seeing as it is the only beach I saw where it is actually posted that alcohol is allowed on it. They also have a beer and concession stand.

B) Don't know the name of the beach, but if you cruise Seawall Blvd going west, you'll go past 61st street and keep an eye on the left for a bar called Woody's. Right after that bar (not the actual turn in for the bar, but a few hundred feet down) is another beach entrance and it is posted there as well that you can park on the beach.

Both places post a price of $8 to park, but we were there Monday - Wednesday and went during day and night and never had anyone in either shack where you are supposed to pay, so of course, we didn't.

And, yah, I didn't play too much in the sand due to my street-tread tires and lack the fact that I didn't have anyone else to help with a pull in case I actually got the WJ somewhere quadra-drive wouldn't get out of.

Last edited by Big_Fisch; 09-16-2009 at 06:36 AM..
Unread 09-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Thanks for the update.
Unread 09-14-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
Skelator03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

theres tons of places to drive on galveston island and not pay go down towards san luis pass west of the sea wall tons of free acess
Unread 09-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
mouse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Theres also east beach too.
Unread 09-22-2009, 12:30 AM   #9
Mitchw123456
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Fisch View Post
Thanks TexasWJ.

I thought I would go ahead and follow up with what I found, for future reference.

We did a lot of beach basking and bike riding, so I didn't explore the area too incredibly much, but what I found is that, if you are staying anywhere on the main Galveston island and you want to actually pull on to the beach with your vehicle and park there where you are chilling, aside from what Texas_WJ said, you have two main options that I found.

A) East beach ... the eastern tip of the island. Popular beach for partying, seeing as it is the only beach I saw where it is actually posted that alcohol is allowed on it. They also have a beer and concession stand.

B) Don't know the name of the beach, but if you cruise Seawall Blvd going west, you'll go past 61st street and keep an eye on the left for a bar called Woody's. Right after that bar (not the actual turn in for the bar, but a few hundred feet down) is another beach entrance and it is posted there as well that you can park on the beach.

Both places post a price of $8 to park, but we were there Monday - Wednesday and went during day and night and never had anyone in either shack where you are supposed to pay, so of course, we didn't.

And, yah, I didn't play too much in the sand due to my street-tread tires and lack the fact that I didn't have anyone else to help with a pull in case I actually got the WJ somewhere quadra-drive wouldn't get out of.
Open beaches in galveston are getting slimmer and slim. (Let not forget to support TOBA) Now, most of the places with beach accesses are getting shorter and shorter If you would have headed a little further south you can drivea couple miles on the beach at the water tower but have to get off and get back on 3005 before you get back to the pass.

Some suggested going over the pass which is wide open. But, just an FYI if you ever go again you can drive all the from the pass to surfside. Keep in mind once you get to surfside you have to have a $10 beach permit to be on the beach.

If you cross over to bolivar you also have to have ANOTHER beach permit that also cost $10 if you are going to be on the beach anywhere from the ferry landing up where 87 turns north (at the point where old 87 is washed out along the beach just past 3rd "pier") From where 87 turns north you can drive all the way to Sea Rim state park down the beach. There is not much sand left at all the entire way there and the bech is mostly mud

I know you already made your trip but as an avid fisherman I spend alot of time on the area beaches and thought I'd just let anyone else in on some info of the area beaches. If anyone wants to make a trip from High Island to sea rim state park sometime let me know asI would like to make the drive down the "beach."
Unread 09-22-2009, 12:45 AM   #10
Contra
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i go to "Big Shell"

aka Malaquite beach or Padre Island National Seashore

this is the north and much larger part of the beach, un populated by humans and hardly usedas most people dont have a good enough 4x4 or are adventurous to trave all the way down, if you drive up the beach and see 6 4x4s in the nearly 60 mile stretch, you seen alot (except on holidays, where you may see 10...lol)

i like to go at night when it is nearly pitch black and the only light for many, many miles is my jeep

also no dune driving here either

Padre Island National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.