Ft. Hood Tx - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Ft. Hood Tx

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #16
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wreck with an ARB bumper or cows? I tried "wreck Cow" or Wreck Arb but nothing really shows up. I just dont want to die from a friggin cow or Deer.

Unread 05-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #17
cadencedad
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Your more likely to die from an asian that married a gi that never drove before than a cow...When you go this summer go to belton lake...NICE
Unread 05-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #18
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

awesome, someway to beat the heat at Ft Hood which I hear is goign to be hotttt.

nice example btw, but also....still to be answered, what kind of off roading should I expect? mud or rock or sand? Or seriously is it flat rolling plains like house on the prarie
Unread 05-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #19
cadencedad
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Its like arkansas or oklahoma...It has it all..Fort Hood is 365 square miles..You can trail ride in kimpner texas...I lived in killeen and copperas cove both...
Unread 05-15-2009, 12:57 PM   #20
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Depends on where you go. There's mud here and there, plains and rocks. Texas is like a whole other country. Probably some of the nicer terrain is over by the hill country areas about an hour northwest of Austin. Sand? Every heard of our psuedo coastline? I've got buddies from Corpus that like going out on the beach where 4 wheel drives are not only allowed - but mandatory if you expect to drive yourself off the beach. They tell many a tall tale about recovering other 4 wheel drives that were not optimally equiped for driving on sand. Most of them are rear locked with BFG AT or MTs - and of course they sport both front and rear recovery points to drag the Hummers, Rovers and various other vehicles out of the sand....
Unread 05-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #21
cadencedad
1999 TJ Wrangler 

south padre is only 10 hours away
Unread 05-16-2009, 12:34 AM   #22
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

if you wheel in Texas on public lands, and there are public lands, you need an OHV vehicle permit, even on street legal vehicles...they are 8 bucks a year....they carry a pretty hefty fine if you are on public lands, or private place funded by public grants...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

Unread 05-16-2009, 12:40 AM   #23
JeepForever

If you're into tattoos, check out "Tattoo Emporium". It's near the base, somewhere in town (maybe in Kempner). My sister-in-law owns the shop.
Unread 05-16-2009, 07:52 AM   #24
cadencedad
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I got tattoo in harker heights about 5 miles from hood
Unread 05-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #25
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Thanks Yoda... I'll definately get one. I've looked into the maps but no areas near Austin. Where might I find any other maps that designate public land?
Unread 05-16-2009, 10:28 PM   #26
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrod72 View Post
Thanks Yoda... I'll definately get one. I've looked into the maps but no areas near Austin. Where might I find any other maps that designate public land?
well, there isn't really anything near austin...but this website will get you started...
Here is a website to get you started...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/ohv/ride.phtml

Most of the local places for you are pay to play and private...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

Unread 05-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #27
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

I've been becoming more and more aware of that lately. Must pay... ;-(

I guess I will have to learn to drive better so I can afford it! This way I can avoid unnecessary breakage....
Unread 05-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #28
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

how much does this end up costing? like a chunk of change? or is there a yearly membership
Unread 05-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #29
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible2 View Post
how much does this end up costing? like a chunk of change? or is there a yearly membership
The OHV permit is a yearly thing from valid from Sept 1 through Aug 31. Here's the link where I found the cost and locations to buy....

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/ohv/buy.phtml

As for the pay to play locations, their price varies between the locations. Most do offer yearly memberships.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.