Ft. Hood Tx - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Ft. Hood Tx

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ft. Hood Tx

Hey guys,

im going to be stationed there soon, hows the off roading there? more rocks? or are there mud trails and things like the NW?

Im wondering because im wondering if I should get a stubby bumper for rock crawling or an ARB Bull Bar Bumper for whatever.

Any comments except negative ones would be appreciated.

Unread 05-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
question57
2012 JK Wrangler 

Right now wheeling Ft Hood is illegal but there are rumors it will be opened back up. When? Anybody's guess.

If you want to wheel anywhere near Killeen, you got:

Hidden Falls Adventure Park (7 miles east of Marble Falls - about an hour away)
Katemcy (only 2 more runs before it closes June 13th - 2 hours away?)
Joe Longs Ranch in Kingsland small but lots of granite (about an hour away)

Through Austin Jeep Exclusive we have a place in Llano called the Stillwaters Ranch that we have rights too and hold 2 events a year out there. Our next even there is the Father Day Run but if you sign up early you get access to the ranch for the work weeks too. (don't have to really work if you don't want to all the trails are cut it's mostly just running the trails.)

AJE also has a place out near Bastrop and at our meeting last night there is another place that might be opened to us that is also near Bastrop.

Welcome to Texas, wheeling is pretty good but you gotta pay to play cause there is no public land to wheel on.

David

06 Unlimited Rubicon was BUILT but now SOLD :(

04 X, armored, SuperLined, 31" - SOLD
Unread 05-13-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What a bummer, all that land in the Great State of Texas and no where legal to wheel.

But is it rocks? sand? what should I be expecting so that I dont buy a stinger or something...

Also are Deer or wildlife a problem? im thinking about getting the Deluxe ARB Bumper w/ Winch and also upgrading 4" to 6" w/ 35" tires.
Unread 05-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
cadencedad
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Stationed there for 3 years
Unread 05-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Med Service Corps? ugh the heat is going to kill me. but I hear its a fun time.
Unread 05-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
cadencedad
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Its a blast and its not that hot there! Lots of shade.I was a tanker the tanks got 120+ so i think you can handle it...
Unread 05-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible2 View Post
What a bummer, all that land in the Great State of Texas and no where legal to wheel.

But is it rocks? sand? what should I be expecting so that I dont buy a stinger or something...

Also are Deer or wildlife a problem? im thinking about getting the Deluxe ARB Bumper w/ Winch and also upgrading 4" to 6" w/ 35" tires.
All that land is owned by somebody. All but about 2.5% of it. If you want to play outdoors in TX you have to get out your wallet.

The other way is to have a friend/relative with a big ranch.

Deer are like roaches in TX. They are everywhere. I lived in Austin 10 years and once counted 17 deer in one front yard in west Austin.
Unread 05-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

awesome. when you say whip out your wallet, are we talking baller cash or petty cash?

So would that be a yes for my ARB Bull Bar Bumper so that I dont die if I run into one?

No ones still answered what the terrain is like...
Unread 05-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
cadencedad
1999 TJ Wrangler 

for one its open graze land..Cattle have the right away.You hit a cow you buy it and there future..Its got flat and some hills
Unread 05-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #10
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

sounds like a ball of fun over in texas. i can see my bills stacking up quickly. So are any fun places to 4 wheel that isnt flat?

and again.. shoul i get the ARB bull bar bumper so I dont kill myself against cattle?
Unread 05-14-2009, 10:08 PM   #11
cadencedad
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Not really I only knew one guy hit a cow it was with a hummer..If you hit one a bull bar won't help!
Unread 05-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #12
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

ARB will likely fold under that type of pressure... but then again, it depends on the velocity of said cow ;-)
Unread 05-15-2009, 01:53 AM   #13
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

sooo basically theres no protection aganst those malicious cows? or are there bumpers to withstand the impact...
Unread 05-15-2009, 06:52 AM   #14
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Maybe DIY... but before buying ARB, search for pics in this forum for vehicles that had a wreck with one. As for cows, it's not like they're everywhere running loose... I've lived here over 30 years and have only had one close call with one on the road. It was between Austin and Houston.
Unread 05-15-2009, 07:59 AM   #15
cadencedad
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrod72 View Post
Maybe DIY... but before buying ARB, search for pics in this forum for vehicles that had a wreck with one. As for cows, it's not like they're everywhere running loose... I've lived here over 30 years and have only had one close call with one on the road. It was between Austin and Houston.
ya I agree..Its not like there suicidal cows running around jumping in front of cars or in your case JEEP's

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.