Colorado Trails for stock LJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Trails for stock LJ

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-29-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Colorado Trails for stock LJ

I've wanted to get out to Colorado for years to see some of the trails that are out there. I'm interested in trails that a stock LJ with Duratracs could handle. What areas of the state should I be looking at? I'm interested in a long trail that goes from one town to another.

Unread 11-30-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Go to Ouray.

With the exception of the Wall obstacle on Poughkeepsie Gulch there isn't any trail in that area that a stock Jeep can't handle. There are many trails that you can take between the towns of Ouray, Silverton, Telluride and Lake City. You can plan trips lasting from a few hours to all day depending on if you make a round trip mainly off road or take paved roads on your return trip.

You can spend a week wheeling all day and still not hit every trail in the area.
Unread 11-30-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply. I was excited about Ouray until I started thinking about the logistics of the trip with a 7 year old along. The Fort Collins / Estes Park area would be a more doable distance from Illinois. I have a page from the 'Guide to Colorado Backroads' book that shows about 12 trails in the area. How is this area? Two 500 mile days would be a lot more doable than two 750 mile days with a kid. Plus we have a friend that lives in the area.
Unread 11-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Just go look up trails under traildamage.com. Look for trails rated 6 or lower.
foggybottombob is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i would say 90% of the trails you can do with your rig. personally some of my favorite are Mosquito, han**** pass, tincup, saints john, webster, and deer trail. all of those we did with my buddy and his stock 4 runner.
Unread 11-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

You do realize that all the aforementioned trails are closed for the winter, right??
colojeepguy is online now   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colojeepguy View Post
You do realize that all the aforementioned trails are closed for the winter, right??
as are half the trails in the state, the OP never mentioned on wheeling this weekend i was just mentioning some of my favorite and most scenic trails, i didnt realize i need to post a disclaimer also
Unread 11-30-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wouldn't be going until next May/June. 2005X, what part of the state are those trails in?
Unread 11-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #9
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
Wouldn't be going until next May/June. 2005X, what part of the state are those trails in?
keystone is close to webster, deer trail and saints john, alma/leadville is mosquito and beuna vista is tincup and han**** pass. im also a fan of caribou creek and eldorado mountain outside of nederland and close to boulder
Unread 12-01-2010, 01:10 AM   #10
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
Just go look up trails under traildamage.com. Look for trails rated 6 or lower.
The guys that rate those trails must not scare easy. They only rate Webster and Red Cone pass a 3-4 but when I drove both last year my rear was sucking seat cushion because of the drop off. It was really bad in one spot on Webster pass were the road had washed out and as I tried to drive around it the back end of the truck started to slide off the mountain

That's the hardest thing I had to get used to when I wheeled up there last year was the cliffs/drop offs. You really get to biting your nails on some of those passes. Not to mention my poor wife, I'm lucky she didn't divorce me after that hehe.

It was fun to sit there at the bottom of the Red cone pass where it meets Webster and break out the binoculars and watch the faces of the drivers coming down Red cone

Here is one Jeeper I found on Youtube driving the Redcone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD-sevgCzO8

You really get to see the drop off of around 0:40-1:00

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #11
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i have only done the montezuma side of webster due to the snow blockage on the other side. hoping to hit it hard this upcoming summer
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #12
HeavyMetl

Honestly, most trails in Colorado are pretty easy if you don't mind some shelf road and the occasional undercarriage scrape. The scenery and adventure is awesome and you're sure to have a good time.

Get the Charles Wells book, read up, and just get out here and wheel.
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #13
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetl View Post
Honestly, most trails in Colorado are pretty easy if you don't mind some shelf road and the occasional undercarriage scrape. The scenery and adventure is awesome and you're sure to have a good time.

That has been my experience in California and Arizona. I have the Wells book for AZ and have been on some cool basic trails in rental SUV's there.
Unread 12-05-2010, 02:47 AM   #14
DKDunn04
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yankee Hill would be good, but the fun part is going up the harder loop to the top of the "hill". Snow makes it pretty hard, but should be passible this early in the year.
DKDunn04 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #15
XJH-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetl View Post

Hehe. You aren't looking in the right places then.

In May/June there is very few trails open in Colorado. If you really want to get a good dose of CO 4X4, come out after the 4th of July. MOST trails are open by then, but still not all.

If you want to stick close to Fort Collins / Boulder you have a handfull of trails to choose from, but the closer you are to FC the more dipsh!ts from College town USA you have to deal with.

There's not much wheeling around Estes as it sits on the border of Rocky Mountain Nat. Park.

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.