Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Colorado Trails for stock LJ

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Dolbydarma 
#1 ·
I've wanted to get out to Colorado for years to see some of the trails that are out there. I'm interested in trails that a stock LJ with Duratracs could handle. What areas of the state should I be looking at? I'm interested in a long trail that goes from one town to another.

#2 ·
Go to Ouray.

With the exception of the Wall obstacle on Poughkeepsie Gulch there isn't any trail in that area that a stock Jeep can't handle. There are many trails that you can take between the towns of Ouray, Silverton, Telluride and Lake City. You can plan trips lasting from a few hours to all day depending on if you make a round trip mainly off road or take paved roads on your return trip.

You can spend a week wheeling all day and still not hit every trail in the area.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I was excited about Ouray until I started thinking about the logistics of the trip with a 7 year old along. The Fort Collins / Estes Park area would be a more doable distance from Illinois. I have a page from the 'Guide to Colorado Backroads' book that shows about 12 trails in the area. How is this area? Two 500 mile days would be a lot more doable than two 750 mile days with a kid. Plus we have a friend that lives in the area.

#10 ·
The guys that rate those trails must not scare easy. They only rate Webster and Red Cone pass a 3-4 but when I drove both last year my rear was sucking seat cushion because of the drop off. It was really bad in one spot on Webster pass were the road had washed out and as I tried to drive around it the back end of the truck started to slide off the mountain :eyebulge:

That's the hardest thing I had to get used to when I wheeled up there last year was the cliffs/drop offs. You really get to biting your nails on some of those passes. Not to mention my poor wife, I'm lucky she didn't divorce me after that hehe.

It was fun to sit there at the bottom of the Red cone pass where it meets Webster and break out the binoculars and watch the faces of the drivers coming down Red cone :D

Here is one Jeeper I found on Youtube driving the Redcone.

You really get to see the drop off of around 0:40-1:00

FOG

#12 ·
Honestly, most trails in Colorado are pretty easy if you don't mind some shelf road and the occasional undercarriage scrape. The scenery and adventure is awesome and you're sure to have a good time.

Get the Charles Wells book, read up, and just get out here and wheel.

#19 ·
Slaughter house is always open, I think the gulches( I can not remember the name of all of them) down near the springs are doable this time of year and sevenmile in ft co is open. Chinamans is also doable right now but not really stocker friendly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.