Colorado Road Trip! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Road Trip!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-11-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

Colorado Road Trip!

Y'all are asked all the time for advice on trails for out of staters; I am using traildamage.com to plan my trip, but wanted to know from the people who run the trails every day, what are some MUST SEE trails, ones that are iconic for Colorado. I am planning on getting into Denver and heading southwest towards Moab. I know I'm stopping at Ouray, and wanting to camp as much as possible.

Thanks!!

Unread 04-11-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

How extreme do you want to get. I would try Black Bear which I think hanging rock is part of. But any trail in Colorado Rockys is iconic Colorado
Unread 04-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
ff33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

X2 on black bear pass, while your there you can also do Imogene pass. Also engineer pass and cinnamon pass make up the alpine loop. If your looking for more difficult trails on your way from Denver if you take I-70 you can hit wheeler lake and spring creek which offer some mild challenges. If your taking 285 you can hit twin cone, which isn't too hard but a fun trail, also along that route is chinamans, and grizzly lake.
Unread 04-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

There's a bunch of trails around St Elmo (between Salida & Buena Vista) that are fun & very scenic.
Unread 04-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff33 View Post
X2 on black bear pass, while your there you can also do Imogene pass. Also engineer pass and cinnamon pass make up the alpine loop. If your looking for more difficult trails on your way from Denver if you take I-70 you can hit wheeler lake and spring creek which offer some mild challenges. If your taking 285 you can hit twin cone, which isn't too hard but a fun trail, also along that route is chinamans, and grizzly lake.
great suggestions - I was looking at wheeler lake already, I'll check out the alpine loop and chinamans. Great stuff guys, please keep the suggestions coming. I'm going to plan my trip for the end of June, beginning of July. I'll post hard dates hopefully by the end of the week.

As for difficulty, I'll be locked up front with an LSD in the rear on 33's. I'm not afraid of anything, but have to drive the rig home.
Unread 04-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

Imogene Pass is a must! (Just looked it up on traildamage.com). Black Bear Pass... My daughter will love that one!

My 17 year old and I will be out there, planning on taking 2 weeks, can take more if I need it, so I won't be in a big hurry. Man, I'm getting excited!
Unread 04-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
Jeepin72
Is it the weekend yet?

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just as an FYI - we are supposed to get 10 to 20" of snow this weekend (4/23). I don't know if we will ever see a Jeep seaso this year
Unread 04-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
Just as an FYI - we are supposed to get 10 to 20" of snow this weekend (4/23). I don't know if we will ever see a Jeep seaso this year
I saw a post on someone who was on Chinaman Gulch and it was snowing! That's some crazy weather there. My dates are set, I'm going the first 3 weeks of July! Getting stoked!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.