JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   South Central USA (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f162/)
-   -   Colorado Road Trip! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f162/colorado-road-trip-1194670/)

igrok 04-11-2011 12:28 AM

Colorado Road Trip!

Y'all are asked all the time for advice on trails for out of staters; I am using traildamage.com to plan my trip, but wanted to know from the people who run the trails every day, what are some MUST SEE trails, ones that are iconic for Colorado. I am planning on getting into Denver and heading southwest towards Moab. I know I'm stopping at Ouray, and wanting to camp as much as possible.

Thanks!!

raynmaker 04-11-2011 07:04 AM

How extreme do you want to get. I would try Black Bear which I think hanging rock is part of. But any trail in Colorado Rockys is iconic Colorado :)

ff33 04-11-2011 07:31 AM

X2 on black bear pass, while your there you can also do Imogene pass. Also engineer pass and cinnamon pass make up the alpine loop. If your looking for more difficult trails on your way from Denver if you take I-70 you can hit wheeler lake and spring creek which offer some mild challenges. If your taking 285 you can hit twin cone, which isn't too hard but a fun trail, also along that route is chinamans, and grizzly lake.

colojeepguy 04-11-2011 09:03 AM

There's a bunch of trails around St Elmo (between Salida & Buena Vista) that are fun & very scenic.

igrok 04-11-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ff33 (Post 11345717)
X2 on black bear pass, while your there you can also do Imogene pass. Also engineer pass and cinnamon pass make up the alpine loop. If your looking for more difficult trails on your way from Denver if you take I-70 you can hit wheeler lake and spring creek which offer some mild challenges. If your taking 285 you can hit twin cone, which isn't too hard but a fun trail, also along that route is chinamans, and grizzly lake.

great suggestions - I was looking at wheeler lake already, I'll check out the alpine loop and chinamans. Great stuff guys, please keep the suggestions coming. I'm going to plan my trip for the end of June, beginning of July. I'll post hard dates hopefully by the end of the week.

As for difficulty, I'll be locked up front with an LSD in the rear on 33's. I'm not afraid of anything, but have to drive the rig home.:D

igrok 04-11-2011 10:52 AM

Imogene Pass is a must! (Just looked it up on traildamage.com). Black Bear Pass... :eyebulge: My daughter will love that one!

My 17 year old and I will be out there, planning on taking 2 weeks, can take more if I need it, so I won't be in a big hurry. Man, I'm getting excited!

Jeepin72 04-23-2011 07:51 PM

Just as an FYI - we are supposed to get 10 to 20" of snow this weekend (4/23). I don't know if we will ever see a Jeep seaso this year :(

igrok 04-23-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepin72 (Post 11418560)
Just as an FYI - we are supposed to get 10 to 20" of snow this weekend (4/23). I don't know if we will ever see a Jeep seaso this year :(

I saw a post on someone who was on Chinaman Gulch and it was snowing! That's some crazy weather there. My dates are set, I'm going the first 3 weeks of July! Getting stoked!:cheers:

The time now is 09:55 AM.