Colorado Emissions Test - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Emissions Test

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 02-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
cs1094
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Colorado Emissions Test

Moving to fort collins and have an 81 scrambler stock with a weber carb. 81's didnt have a cat. Will I have a problem with the 2 step emissions test? Any advice to make sure I am good?

Unread 02-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
IIl1Ill
1973 CJ5 

Cars before 1982 are subject to a lot lower emissions standards. They just do a tailpipe test. And from talking to a few guys I know, as long as you're running on at least 4 of 6 cylinders (or only 5 of 8) you should pass it without any problems.

EDIT: I just realized you're in Ft. Collins, I'm not too familiar with the differences between Ft Collins and Denver. Sorry about that.

Last edited by IIl1Ill; 02-04-2008 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: New Info
Unread 02-06-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
nothinguntil
1987 YJ Wrangler 

didn't the state of colorado go to no more emissions? or is that just colorado springs?
Unread 02-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
Timberwood

yeah there not testing as far as I know, I registered my truck (its an 01) for the first time in CO a few months ago and no test needed.

Edit: registered in Weld County. I believe the no testing goes for the whole state
Unread 02-07-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
bvjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What I know is that all of the front range vehicles will need to have an emissions test. Not sure what the break off is but your newer vehicles do not have to be tested because they already conform to higher emissions. My 99 Yukon was emissions exempt due to its lower emissions. You should still check into it but if you run it leaner it should be fine. You will probably have tolean it out anyway because of the altitude. Oh by the way there are some decent trails around ther too!

Remember: It Aint Perdy Till It's Dirty!!!!!
Colorado Jeep Member #1999
Unread 02-08-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
Rigor
1978 CJ5 

I get my 78 emissions tested every year in Denver. It's a two RPM test, one at idle and one at ~2500 RPM (no load, i.e. in neutral). I don't have a CAT, run Motorcraft 2100, and have passed every year with flying colors. Main thing they check here is that you have the smog pump installed and it looks all connected properly. After having said that I checked out the site below... According to the Ft. Collins website you aren't required to have emissions testing done... So looks like you lucked out.

http://fcgov.com/airquality/emissions-testing.php
Unread 02-08-2008, 11:14 PM   #7
dotcom
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

i had to test both LJ's when i moved up here 2 years ago but no test since. mine looked pretty funny on test day because they do not allow tires over 33in and i run 35's so i had to borrow a set from my friends rubi

04 Unlimited 5.5in rubicon express lift 35x12.5 r15 MTR's mounted on custom beadlocks, ARB's and 4.56 gears front and rear, full cage + all the electronic gear including a ham radio. www.seangriffith.com
Unread 02-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Denver area still has testing, no testing in FoCo.
Unread 02-27-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
yobeez
2006 LJ Wrangler 

"i had to test both LJ's when i moved up here 2 years ago but no test since. mine looked pretty funny on test day because they do not allow tires over 33in and i run 35's so i had to borrow a set from my friends rubi"

Sorry to hi-jack this thread BUT.......

Wow......is this true about 33" Tires? I was hoping to move to Loveland/Ft Collins area in a year or 2 but would have to sell my truck if I can't keep 38's on it. More details on this please!!!! Thanks
Unread 03-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #10
Parky

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobeez View Post
"i had to test both LJ's when i moved up here 2 years ago but no test since. mine looked pretty funny on test day because they do not allow tires over 33in and i run 35's so i had to borrow a set from my friends rubi"

Sorry to hi-jack this thread BUT.......

Wow......is this true about 33" Tires? I was hoping to move to Loveland/Ft Collins area in a year or 2 but would have to sell my truck if I can't keep 38's on it. More details on this please!!!! Thanks
No you won't have to sell. The testing facility just won't take trucks with larger than 33" tires. You would need to get your hands on some smaller tires for the test only.
Colorado Jeep Member #12

Happy Jeeper
Unread 10-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #11
thejunkman
1977 CJ5 

I am a new member and I did a search and found this topic that relates to my question, so I thought I would dig it up from the grave rather than start a new topic.

I am a transplant from Nebraska to Colorado and have lived here for several years now. I am finally to the point that I want to bring my Jeep's out but I am unsure on emission testing. The vehicle in question is my 77 CJ5 w/ 304 V8 mostly stock except a switch to a Holley 2bbl carb, full length headers through a custom exhaust exiting the rear. I am the second owner and it never had any emissions equipment on it at the time of purchase. Nebraska requires no testing or inspection. Just basic VIN verifications.

My question is, if the engine is in a good state of tune is it possible to pass the two speed idle test with no Catalytic Converters to be able to register it here in the front range (Littleton).
Unread 04-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #12
JillMarie1124
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Performance still the only place to rent tires for emissions?

I am due for emissions again this year...not good with 37" MTRs! The last time I went down to Performance in Aurora and rented tires for the day..does anyone know if that's still the only place that rents? I live up in Westminster so anything closer would be ideal. Thanks!
Unread 04-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #13
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

check this out
Department of Revenue - Division of Motor Vehicles:Gas Vehicles
Unread 04-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

It depends on where you live. Here in Longmont they do dyno, gas cap, cat, etc... I know places like Winter Park don't do emissions but most front range cities do emissions.

But don't get fooled, there are mobile emission testing vans. If you pass through them so many times and pass they automatically send you your tags. I know the first time it happened my parents were like "Cool, I guess they don't require emissions anymore." Not true.

Colorado has changed quite a few laws regarding emissions & registration, so just go check out your local cities website. For example, they stopped sending you month tags because they figured out people were putting it off for a month so they could register a month later the next year. That and it now costs 60 bucks to register my 97, as apposed to only 20 bucks last year. The whole point to owning an older car is they are cheaper to register and insure.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.