Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Colorado

3K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  nitecop 
#1 ·
Going to take a trip to wheel in Colorado this summer and also look around for places to move to after I'm out of highschool..

Where is the best place to wheel, most trails, most shops, most fellow wheelers?

#5 ·
#11 ·
As someone else said, get the book by Charles Wells for Colorado. He actually has 2 separate books for the state. One for Northern and another one for the rest of the state. Both highly recommended.:thumbsup:

And, definitely check out the Traildamage website. Very good descriptions on there with tons of pictures and even video.

I've only been here a year, so my experience of trails is a little on the low side, but we did Mt. Antero last year and that is awesome. Not real hard, but unbelievable views and switchbacks. You can check out my trail report here on this website.

Another trail I've heard is great is Chinaman Gulch near Buena Vista as well. I have not been on this trail....yet. But like the others said - the possibilities are endless here.

Hope you have a great vacation!

#16 ·
In my youth, my family and I would always vacation up in Lake City, rent a couple of wranglers, and take them on the alpine loop. It's nice little trail that takes you from lake city to silverton to ouray, all of which have their own fun shops as well as things to do. I agree about Ouray though, there's plenty to do there to keep you occupied for a few days.

I'm also planning a move up there, probably around Denver since the gf is a die-hard av's fan...Let us know what you decide on

#17 ·
#22 ·
I've signed a lease and am moving to Golden on May 26th, so I certainly plan on hitting lots of trails and camping a ton once I get settled into my job and apartment. Goodbye Ohio.....hello Colorado!:cheers2:

Now I just gotta join a club or somehow get involved. There's a lot of trails to ride, and going as a group is always more fun.

#27 · (Edited)
I was up there last year and a really fun trail is the Red Cone pass. Its a really breathtaking view but not for the faint of heart because of the drop offs and very little room for error. On the way down Red Cone its so steep and narrow you can't hit the brakes or you will slide off :D

On the backside of Red Cone you have to either pick Montezuma or Webster. Don't take Webster pass, I almost slid my 4runner off the side of the mountain trying to get around a blown out section the road where almost half the road is gone.

Here is two really good videos someone made driving Red Cone

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD-sevgCzO8

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXeYu9Nesnw

FOG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.