Colorado - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
DirtyJeepBoy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Colorado

Going to take a trip to wheel in Colorado this summer and also look around for places to move to after I'm out of highschool..

Where is the best place to wheel, most trails, most shops, most fellow wheelers?

[COLOR="darkgreen"]My Build:[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/dirty-jeep-boy-tj-build-w-pics-1054939/"]Dirty Jeep Boy -TJ Build w/ Pics[/URL]
BDS/BTF/MCE[/CENTER][/B]
Unread 03-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
rdlmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm moving to Colorado in just a couple weeks so I'm interested to see some responses to this as well.
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
estinson
1993 YJ Wrangler 

All over! There are tons of good trails in Colorado, and tons of 4Wheel groups too.

I personally love wheeling out near Buena Vista, Crested Butte, Aspen, and down near Ouray and Teluride!
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
rdlmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by estinson View Post
All over! There are tons of good trails in Colorado, and tons of 4Wheel groups too.

I personally love wheeling out near Buena Vista, Crested Butte, Aspen, and down near Ouray and Teluride!
Do you have anything more specific? Names, locations, etc?

Personally I'm looking more at just getting out and doing some camping or spending the day exploring. I'm not looking to rock crawl or anything terribly difficult....at least not right now.
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You could spend a week in Ouray and not get bored. You can find everything there from easy scenic drives to difficult stuff like Black Bear and Poughkeepsie Gulch.

The Colorado book by Charles Wells is a good place to start.

Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails (2nd Edition) [0-9664976-6-X] - $17.50
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
estinson
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlmac View Post
Do you have anything more specific? Names, locations, etc?
Those were Locations... all those cities have numerous trails nearby, anything from easy dirt to crazy rock. And finding good back country camping spots is usually pretty easy.

I also agree that the guide to colorado backroads is an excellent book

TrailDamage.com is also a good source for finding trails in the area, and they do a good job of rating them and describing them.

Some of my personal favorite trails w/ camping are:
-Handcart Gulch - Near Bailey
-Lincoln Creek - Near Aspen
-Reno Divide - Near Crested Butte
-Tincup Pass - Near Buena Vista (St. Elmo)
-Medano Pass - Near the Great Sand Dunes (trail ends at the park's parking lot)
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
rdlmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. I appreciate it!
Unread 03-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
DirtyJeepBoy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm, so if you could live anywhere in Colorado, where would it be?
[COLOR="darkgreen"]My Build:[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/dirty-jeep-boy-tj-build-w-pics-1054939/"]Dirty Jeep Boy -TJ Build w/ Pics[/URL]
BDS/BTF/MCE[/CENTER][/B]
Unread 03-31-2010, 12:12 AM   #9
estinson
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'd have to say Crested Butte. It's Beautiful year round, has killer wheelin close by, killer mountain biking and skiing, and it's a pretty cool town too.
Unread 03-31-2010, 06:05 PM   #10
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Crested Butte is a cool place but being a ski town, real estate is big $$$$$$! Also, being a ski town, they get BURIED in snow in the winter!
Unread 03-31-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
1RustyXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

As someone else said, get the book by Charles Wells for Colorado. He actually has 2 separate books for the state. One for Northern and another one for the rest of the state. Both highly recommended.

And, definitely check out the Traildamage website. Very good descriptions on there with tons of pictures and even video.

I've only been here a year, so my experience of trails is a little on the low side, but we did Mt. Antero last year and that is awesome. Not real hard, but unbelievable views and switchbacks. You can check out my trail report here on this website.

Another trail I've heard is great is Chinaman Gulch near Buena Vista as well. I have not been on this trail....yet. But like the others said - the possibilities are endless here.

Hope you have a great vacation!
Unread 03-31-2010, 08:40 PM   #12
allen_cavalier
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Barbour Fork is a great place to check out. its out in Idaho Springs.
TrailDamage.com - Barbour Fork
Unread 04-02-2010, 12:33 AM   #13
estinson
1993 YJ Wrangler 

we're running Chinaman Gulch this Sunday 4/4/10 if anyone wants to join be at the trailhead by 10am!
Unread 04-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #14
BobA
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the links as well. I'm planning a vacation out there next summer.

77 DJ5
Soon to be streetrod
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #15
BigDogTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by estinson View Post

I may live in the OK (for now) but since the year I was born we take almost 4 trips up to CO for a week to two at a time! Our whole family has a cabin outside of Buena Vista, and that whole area is just beautiful. A real fun day trip is up Tin Cup pass (by St. Elmo), takes you over the continental divide, trail is well wide enough for an H1. Lot of areas up towards Leadville as well.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.