CO vs. OK vs. TX - Hunting/Fishing - Army Assignments - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > CO vs. OK vs. TX - Hunting/Fishing - Army Assignments

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 01-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
tx_medic
1992 YJ Wrangler 

CO vs. OK vs. TX - Hunting/Fishing - Army Assignments

Hey everyone,
Here in the next few months I need to decided what's going to happen with my future. In July I should be faced with a "choice of station" or "wish list" PCS (move). I'm currently at Ft. Sill, OK and most of my family is in TX and WA.

I love to hunt and fish, all of it from big game to fly fishing. So far this year from largest to smallest we've hunted Elk, Deer, Pigs, Coyotes, Bobcats, Turkey, Geese, Duck, Quail, Dove, Catfish, Bass, Crappie... you get the point, I love it all. Bow, rifle, shotgun, fishing from boats, wading, tubes, fly fishing... etc

So I'm faced with a decision. Do I want to try to stay here at Ft. Sill, move to Ft. Hood, TX, Ft. Sam, TX or Ft. Carson, CO? I'm an E-6 Medic, so that will also play a bit... some posts treat us better than others. I'll be 28 years old, and never married... just me and my dog Remi (lab-spaniel, learning to hunt).

Love to hear what y'all got to say. Thanks
-Luke

Unread 01-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well if your an outdoors guy and love hunting Texas offers a ton.

Best goose and duck hunting down in the South with the fly zone towards mexico. Also hogs (or pigs), coyotes and bobcats are located here. Lynx and foxes. Also nutria...a huge rat like animal that lives in the water. Builds a nest like a otter or bever. Very cool. Quail, Dove, small bird game. I'm not a big deer hunter, but my buddies are. white tail, and turkey. Good fishing too.

Texas is very nice. Takes 8 hours to drive from north to south, or east to west, so there has to be a bunch of stuff to do here. Good luck with your move.
Unread 01-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
tx_medic
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm originally from ft. worth and have family in weatherford and mineral wells. I'm familiar with everything tx has to offer as far as game, laws, etc... my primary concern is that I know nothing of the rules in or around ft. hood or ft. sam houston. It's a four hour drive home from sam houston to hunt on family land, giving the tx posts an advantage, but also a disadvantage; i'd like to try something new too.

thanks for the reply though!
-luke
Unread 01-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
bvjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Texas is ok, Oklahoma is of course ok but Clolorado is great.

Need I say any more?????

Colorado offers alot of outdoors for anyone who has the desire to enjoy it.

BV Jeep

Remember: It Aint Perdy Till It's Dirty!!!!!
Colorado Jeep Member #1999
Unread 01-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
tx_medic
1992 YJ Wrangler 

what about hunting and fishing? public land, wma's? can a guy hunt on a budget if he has his own gear or is all the land spoken for?
-luke
Unread 01-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
bvjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I hunt all on public and took a verry nice bull too 280 class 5x6 too. Lots of public and tags for residents is about 50 bucks

Remember: It Aint Perdy Till It's Dirty!!!!!
Colorado Jeep Member #1999
Unread 01-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
tx_medic
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Nice! I drew an elk hunt this year, cow only though. Didn't even see an elk until hunt was over. Had 9 come 20 yds from my deer stand two days later.... Arghhh! What about big horn? Ever gone after them?
-luke
Unread 01-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
rudy99
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd pick Colorado. The wheelin up there would be awesome. Texas hunting kinda sucks unless you have family land, have a bunch of money to blow on leases, or just know the right people who would let you hunt for free.
6-speed; D30/D44 w/3.73; 33"x12.5 MTRs; Skid Row Engine/Steering Skids; AtoZ Rockers and Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier; Rockcrusher and T&J Diff Covers; 4WheelCustoms 2.25" BB; M.O.R.E 1" MML; PA 1" BL; Mike Green LCA Skids; Uniden Pro510XL w/2' Firestik; Husky Floor Liners
Lone Star Jeep Club
Unread 01-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Texas is about 2.5% public land and Colorado is about 30%. Something like that. It's one reason I left Austin and moved to Colorado Springs 10 years ago. I have not regretted it at all. But Colorado has highly regulated big game hunting. You have to get a license for one area at one short time. In TX you get a license and go whenever you get a chance. There is hunting allowed to some degree on base at ft Carson and at Ft Hood. But I always heard that there was concertina wire and unexploded ordinance in Ft Hood. Could be just made up scare stories to keep out us civilians. Good luck with whatever you pick.

If you are going to hunt much in TX you better have a thick wallet.
Unread 01-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
tx_medic
1992 YJ Wrangler 

well, we've got the land but not for big game or birds; turkey, deer and pig in texas.

You're from Austin, one of my favorite parts of TX. How does CO Springs compare to that atmosphere?
-Luke
Unread 01-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #11
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

When you see an old person in Austin it is a shock. Austin is full of transient people. I saw houses bought new in my Cedar Park neighborhood and then the people would be moved away in less than 6 months. CO Springs has mountains about 3 miles away from down town. Pikes Peak is a 14er. I can trout fish for free 4 miles from my house. I can drive my Jeep about 20 minutes and be in the mountains where I hardly see anybody all day. The restaurants here suck. Austin had great food. But there are too many people there for me. I would agree that Austin is the best place in TX (outside some hill country ranch). But there is no access to land. I remember about a week before we left TX I went to Enchanted Rock State park with the whole family. We sat in a line of cars from 7:30 to 8:00 am. When we got in they said the park is full have a nice day. They changed the rules at that park to only let 200 cars come in at a time. Of course Scott Harris conducted climbing classes there so his students got there early. It irks me that a public park could have such limited access and still be used as a base for a commercial climbing class. And I'm a climber myself. Only in TX could such crap exist. TX is all about money. If you don't got it you don't get to play. I love it here. If I had to move I don't know where I would go. Everywhere else in the country is worse to me. But that's just me.

I forgot to mention that there are tons of military and retired military people here. There is an army base and two air force bases. And of course there is the air force academy. I never saw military people in Austin.

There is a 20,000 acre walk in ranch 90 miles from me where I can bird hunt for $20 a year. The only thing like that in TX is Matador up around Childress and the Chaparrel down by Artesia Wells. I used to spend around $1K a year to bird hunt in TX. Of course it is hard to find a bird here but everything is a compromise to some degree. I just took up Jeeping.
Unread 01-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #12
tx_medic
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Wow! Guess I'll be looking you up when I get there! We used to go bouldering all the time around the green belt and in Belton? (It's been a while since I've been though) I still have my harness and shoes, I'll put them in my jeep next to my upland bird gear!

Right now the top two picks for myself are Ft. Carson and Ft. Sill, though I'm leaning towards Carson. Ft. Sill offers old friends, two hours from Dad and endless hunting and fishing. No restaurants, no women, no recreation besides the outdoors. The rock climbing could be good, but I don't climb alone so I haven't been. There is no ice hockey here, I can't play or even watch on tv. The only two cable companies here would rather watch high school basketball than an NHL game, so Colorado has that too!

Sounds to me like I need to come to Colorado Springs and make the right friends quickly. Ft. Carson offers the unknown and a fresh start. With a strong retired military and outdoorsmen presence I'm sure I'll fit right in.

One last question. How's the duck hunting? and how likely are you to get drawn for turkey, deer, elk and big horn. Down here we don't even draw for turkey and deer, and I scored an elk tag my first shot out of the gate.

thanks
-luke
Unread 01-23-2009, 08:43 PM   #13
sloppydan2k8
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Fort Carson sucks but colorado srpings is the place to be at. Also your like 5 minutes away from mountains and we also dont have that 3.2 beer like you have right now
Colorado Jeep Club Member #180
Unread 01-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #14
tx_medic
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You can get real beer here! From 2pm into noon the same day every fifth Tuesday of the odd numbered months that begin with the letters f, r, t, d and a. So there, shows what you know!
-luke
Unread 01-24-2009, 10:28 PM   #15
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Go to Fredericksburg if you want beer in TX. There are more kinds of beer in an HEB grocery store in Austin than there are in a liquor store in Colorado. Those german and swedish decendents in TX know beer. I don't do big game hunting so I don't know how hard it is to get drawn. I think there are more elk hunters in CO than there are elk. I think you can actually hunt on base at Ft Carson. Back in '99 they even let civilians hunt on base. Those days are gone now.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.