Carabou Creek off trail damage. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Carabou Creek off trail damage.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-06-2010, 06:46 AM   #1
NameUnavailable

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Carabou Creek off trail damage.

Hey all, I posted this on Colorado 4x4 trail forum, too. But just wanted to let as many people know as I could.

I ran Caribou yesterday and saw that someone decided to disassemble part of the fence that runs near the trail, just past the creek crossing. It looks like they did it because they weren't capable of running the rutted part and made a bypass.
I confirmed with a ranger that this is off trail. So if you go out there, please stay on the trail. This is the kind of stuff that gets trails closed.
I know that most, if not all, of the people on this forum aren't the problem, but maybe this will reach the few that are.

Unread 07-06-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Was it from a 4x4 or an ATV? Most off trail damage I see these days is from ATV's. As you say, that's how trails wind up getting closed-a few irresponsible jerks ruining it for everyone else.
Unread 07-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
NameUnavailable

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know who originally did it. I remember part of the fence there was knocked down last fall - like someone slid into it. You couldn't drive through then, though. And it was just the one place. Now there's two openings.
I was in my Jeep yesterday, and with a friend on a dirt bike. He saw a yellow Jeep run through there just ahead of us. If you have never been on the trail before, I guess it's hard to tell sometimes what's legit and what's not. Of course, one ******* starts it, but not everyone using a bypass is necessarily bad. I wish I took a pic, but I think this one is kinda clear it's off trail.
Who does trail maintenance on that trail? Is it the rangers, or a club or something? I'd lend a hand if there's a repair effort. Fixing the fence enough to block it off again should be fairly easy. Fixing the new ruts in the bypass could be pretty difficult.
And what's the verdict on finding something like this? If I would have grabbed a couple pieces of fence and tried to block it on my own, is that cool, or will it piss off the forest service or something?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.