buena vista area july 1-10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > buena vista area july 1-10

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-18-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
lumpster
2013 JK Wrangler 

buena vista area july 1-10

I will be in buena vista wheeling the first 10 days of july, anyone else going to be there?

Blaine asked me before we left camp if I'd ever been wheeling before, I said "sure, of course I have"... about 50 feet onto the trail, he said "Wade, you f'in lied to me, you've never been WHEELING before"... I think he was right! :rofl:

Want to STOP?

JEEP Co-op parts, DELRIN DOOR BUSHINGS, TRE inserts, poolball shifters, tierod flip kits

My Goodyear tire experience
Unread 06-19-2010, 02:06 AM   #2
estinson
1993 YJ Wrangler 

We have a house up there, so there's a good chance. Try to get up there every weekend...
Unread 06-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
lumpster
2013 JK Wrangler 

we are staying at the top of trout creek pass, in a cabin there.
Blaine asked me before we left camp if I'd ever been wheeling before, I said "sure, of course I have"... about 50 feet onto the trail, he said "Wade, you f'in lied to me, you've never been WHEELING before"... I think he was right! :rofl:

Want to STOP?

JEEP Co-op parts, DELRIN DOOR BUSHINGS, TRE inserts, poolball shifters, tierod flip kits

Unread 07-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hey Lumpster, how was your trip. I am planning on going to this same area with a friend and his family the first part of August. Any must see trails that you took? I've been looking through my Charles A Wells books and have some plans already. My buddy and I both have Stock Rubicons with a 2" lift. He has a JK though and I have an LJ. But I feel we should be able to handle most moderate trails. If our families don't get on each others nerves too much, we should have a great trip.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Unread 07-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
lumpster
2013 JK Wrangler 

i would suggest tincup, maybe iron chest but you will have to take it slow. You wont be able to do grizzly lake unless you stack some rocks at the first obsticle. han**** is closed due to a washout 60 foot long and 30 foot deep, so pomeroy lakes is out too. you may want to try chinamens gulch. four mile area is neat, but its not hard wheelin, just slow windy dirt roads, none of them being shelf road.

Do Mt Antero, that is a great drive, misquito pass out of fairplay whould be opened by now, and its a cool trail with a few lakes on one the side trails.

What ever you do, have a great time!!

Want to STOP?

Unread 07-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
i would suggest tincup, maybe iron chest but you will have to take it slow. You wont be able to do grizzly lake unless you stack some rocks at the first obsticle. han**** is closed due to a washout 60 foot long and 30 foot deep, so pomeroy lakes is out too. you may want to try chinamens gulch. four mile area is neat, but its not hard wheelin, just slow windy dirt roads, none of them being shelf road.

Do Mt Antero, that is a great drive, misquito pass out of fairplay whould be opened by now, and its a cool trail with a few lakes on one the side trails.

What ever you do, have a great time!!
Thanks that is great advice. Tincup is one we were planning on doing. I was also considering Han****. I guess that is out now. I also thought about 4 mile area as well. I'll have to look into Mt Antero and Mosquito pass. I think they might be too difficult for this flat lander with 31" tires though.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-15-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
lumpster
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
Thanks that is great advice. Tincup is one we were planning on doing. I was also considering Han****. I guess that is out now. I also thought about 4 mile area as well. I'll have to look into Mt Antero and Mosquito pass. I think they might be too difficult for this flat lander with 31" tires though.
We did mt antero with a 2000 xj on 29's and did misquito in a 2004 jeep GC on 29 bfg at KO's.

Talk to the guy at the st elmo general store, he is up on the info about what roads are open and not open.

Want to STOP?

Unread 07-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
We did mt antero with a 2000 xj on 29's and did misquito in a 2004 jeep GC on 29 bfg at KO's.

Talk to the guy at the st elmo general store, he is up on the info about what roads are open and not open.

Thanks, thats good to know. I'll check into Mosquite Pass. I think I will have to pass on Mt Antero though. Even if its doable on 29s, I think the narrow shelf roads would bother me more than the difficulty of the trail. From what I have read Mt Antero is quite narrow.

I'll be sure to talk to the guy at the general store in St Elmo when I'm there. Thanks for the tip.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
lumpster
2013 JK Wrangler 

mt antero is narrow, but once you get up there and do acouple roads you might find the narrow shelf road doesnt bother you as much as you think it might.

Every time i think im being a baby about a narrow stretch ill come up on someone later on the trail that is in a tahoe or dodge truck. LOL

Want to STOP?

Unread 07-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
bvjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Boy you got to love a local for info though. I live in Buena Vista and have been on quite a few of the trails around here. If you need any info just send me a PM and I can get you some info.

Mosquito pass is passable and a decent trail. It is best when done earlier in the day as you might get some storms coming through in the afternoon. We did it on Sunday and had a blast. You will have to check out the side roads on the Alma side of the pass. There are a coulpe of lakes that you can basically drive to. Hanc0ck pass might be open by the time you get here. The county and the forest service are getting the final paperwork finalized. when done it should only take a week or 2. I do suggest the Antero road and a trip to Browns lake and Baldwin lakes. Grizzley is another story though. As the other said, you could make it if you stacked some rocks on the first obstackle. There is a bypass on the upper right, but it is a leaner. The next 1/2 mile is pretty rough with some rocks and holes. Once past that the rest is easy. Chinamans is doable by a 2" lifted Jeep but you will probably hit something while up there. I used to do it with a stock 99 TJ but I had great spotters and I did hit quite a few rocks. I would have to say that my average number of hits on the Jeep were about 70. I have see very capable rigs break down on the stupidest things. Knowing someone that could get you through it would be a great help. With about 4 vehicles, it will take clost to 5 hours to run it. There are tons of other roads that are just as fun and very scenic too. If you need to knwo more just send me a PM and I will get you more information.

Thanks
BV Jeep

Remember: It Aint Perdy Till It's Dirty!!!!!
Colorado Jeep Member #1999
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #11
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvjeep View Post
Boy you got to love a local for info though. I live in Buena Vista and have been on quite a few of the trails around here. If you need any info just send me a PM and I can get you some info.

Mosquito pass is passable and a decent trail. It is best when done earlier in the day as you might get some storms coming through in the afternoon. We did it on Sunday and had a blast. You will have to check out the side roads on the Alma side of the pass. There are a coulpe of lakes that you can basically drive to. Hanc0ck pass might be open by the time you get here. The county and the forest service are getting the final paperwork finalized. when done it should only take a week or 2. I do suggest the Antero road and a trip to Browns lake and Baldwin lakes. Grizzley is another story though. As the other said, you could make it if you stacked some rocks on the first obstackle. There is a bypass on the upper right, but it is a leaner. The next 1/2 mile is pretty rough with some rocks and holes. Once past that the rest is easy. Chinamans is doable by a 2" lifted Jeep but you will probably hit something while up there. I used to do it with a stock 99 TJ but I had great spotters and I did hit quite a few rocks. I would have to say that my average number of hits on the Jeep were about 70. I have see very capable rigs break down on the stupidest things. Knowing someone that could get you through it would be a great help. With about 4 vehicles, it will take clost to 5 hours to run it. There are tons of other roads that are just as fun and very scenic too. If you need to knwo more just send me a PM and I will get you more information.

Thanks
BV Jeep
Hey, thanks for all the info. I might just send you a PM when we have a better plan and its closer to the date. I really appreciate all the info you gave. That helps alot. I think I will avoid Grizzley and Chinaman. Since we will both have our wives and kids with, that sounds like it might be a little too slow going for them. They are willing to do some scenic trail riding with us, but I don't think either wife is too interested in do that slow of rock crawling. And for the kids its just sitting in the car. I don't think they see a difference between rock crawling or interstate driving. So the easy/more moderate trails with good views will be the best for us. Thanks.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.