1 week jeep trip in CO - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > 1 week jeep trip in CO

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 08-10-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
liljpy
2006 TJ Wrangler 

1 week jeep trip in CO

Hi all,

Does anyone have any advice/suggestions on trails out in Colorado? Me and 4 friends will be hitting CO next week (8/17-8/21) in a combination of dual sport motorcycles and 2 jeep TJ's. We'll be based out of Buena Vista. We're planning on sleeping at least one night in the wilderness. Anyone have any suggestions on good wilderness spots?

We have a book, 'guide to colorado backroads and 4wd trails' and here's some of the trails we're planning on hitting:

Fourmile Area
Chinaman Gul. (probably not carnage cyn)
mt. princeton
mt. antero, browns lake
baldwin lakes, boulder mtn.
grizzly lake
iron chest mine
pomeroy lakes
tincup pass, st. elmo
hancock pass
tomichi pass
marshall pass

Here's the jeep capabilities:
Me:
2006 rubicon
stock suspension except 2" spacer's to level front
stock 31's
warn 9000 winch
LOD front winch bumper
front tube fenders
quick disconnects
oil pan skid plate
Currie steering system

Friend:
4" ruff country lift with 33's
currie steering
warn 8000 winch
detroit in front

Any input is greatly appreciated!! I'll post some pics when we return.

liljpy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
CJuncky
1981 CJ5 

Taylor Pass is a good trail. Only one tough spot. Check out this site for trail info and reviews www.traildamage.com Enjoy your trip. Also look at www.staythetrail.org We do everything we can to protect our trails. You might do a post on www.colorado4x4.org some of the locals may be in that area and can help or wheel with you if your interasted.
80 CJ7 258/auto/d 44 diffs/ 4" lift/rebuild started 80 CJ7 #2 stock(sold)
82 CJ7 stock DD
CJuncky is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
tri486
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I live in Denver and I heard that a trail in Marble is great, haven't been there but planning on it. Also a short fun trail is in Bailey called Slaughter house.
tri486 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
BigDWheelin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to be up there that same week but I'm staying around Ouray.

I picked up a national geographic map of the area I'm staying in and they're actually very good. It has camping sites as well as hiking and offroad trails all marked. It may be worth buying if you guys aren't familiar with the area b/c it's been helpful for me.
BigDWheelin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
NE4X4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You've listed almost all the trails in the Buena Vista area. If you have time to venture a little further you can go north to Leadville and do Mosquito Pass which will take you over to Alma Co.. North of Alma is Wheeler Lake trail which is a up and back trail with some interesting obsticles. Since you are from the midwest I assume you will be coming in from the east, and either on your way there or on your way home you could do some of the trails near Montezuma Co.. This would include; Glacier Ridge, Redcone, Webster Pass, and SOB Hill. All of these trails are discribed on "traildamage.com", including instructions on how to locate them. Good wheelin.
NE4X4 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
liljpy
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks all for the replies. We've been here for a few days and have hit quite a few trails. Chinaman Gulch was pretty fun. We walked through carnage canyon, but realized we didn't have the hardware!

I've broken my rubicon's rear axle lock. I'll pry post for some advice in the repairs section. Thanks again!
liljpy is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.