Wrench Fest - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Wrench Fest

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

 
Unread 09-27-2006, 05:35 PM   #46
tommaho
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Williamsport, PA
Posts: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by jipjip
i have my diff covers on order, so it looks like i'll have more to install at your place.
should i paint them before i come down??? it may be a good idea, so the paints dry before i install them.
what do y'all think for paint on the covers. i think i'm going w/ black, but i don't know what kind of paint is gonna work well.
also, i was thinking of painting the letters on it red or something, so i can show off some bling on the road

I'd say just decent rustoleum primer and paint. It's not like you wont have to touch it up after a couple runs anyway.

I like this paint job:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...&postcount=144

__________________
Blue Ribbon Coalition | SIRA 4x4 |
tommaho is offline  
Unread 09-27-2006, 05:39 PM   #47
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk
 
neZZr's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: AZ eventually...
Posts: 4,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by jipjip
i have my diff covers on order, so it looks like i'll have more to install at your place.
should i paint them before i come down??? it may be a good idea, so the paints dry before i install them.
what do y'all think for paint on the covers. i think i'm going w/ black, but i don't know what kind of paint is gonna work well.
also, i was thinking of painting the letters on it red or something, so i can show off some bling on the road
I'd paint them ahead... you'll never get the covers on without all the paint ending up on your hands if it hasn't dried yet.

I used Rustoleum Hammered... it comes out a bit more gray than I thought it would be based on the cap.
__________________
My Hummer Hole video
SIRA 4x4 club

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline  
Unread 09-27-2006, 06:35 PM   #48
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek
 
BeachinXJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Beach®, DE
Posts: 5,837
I used Rustoleum Hammered on my Tube doors. Nice stuff and it stands up to abuse pretty well.
__________________
2000 Jeep XJ - Chopped / Locked
1997 Jeep XJ - Daily Driver
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD - 6-speed, 4" MBRP Turbo Back Exhaust
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline  
Unread 09-27-2006, 08:43 PM   #49
gmcz7198ba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Castle, Pa
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachinXJ
I used Rustoleum Hammered on my Tube doors. Nice stuff and it stands up to abuse pretty well.
Hmmm ya know I think ive got some of that out in the garage. May have to test some of it on the YJ.
__________________
87 YJ 4.3l, TH350, 35's
95 YJ 2.5l, lifted, 33's
gmcz7198ba is offline  
Unread 09-27-2006, 10:02 PM   #50
jipjip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: new milford,CT
Posts: 2,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaho
I'd say just decent rustoleum primer and paint. It's not like you wont have to touch it up after a couple runs anyway.

I like this paint job:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...&postcount=144
that's where i got the idea from. i really like the look of that job, and wanted something similar.
any ideas on how to get that done???
it looks like a lot of maticulous work w/ masking tape
__________________
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline  
Unread 09-27-2006, 10:50 PM   #51
SpoolinU
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ridgefield, CT
Posts: 341
Mine used to look like that....but they started to look crappy after "gently caressing" a "few" rocks so I sprayed them all black and said the hell with it
SpoolinU is offline  
Unread 09-28-2006, 06:33 AM   #52
Cliff Crawler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaho
I'd say just decent rustoleum primer and paint. It's not like you wont have to touch it up after a couple runs anyway.

I like this paint job:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...&postcount=144

So, other than the rigga bling bling...is there any other reason to paint them? It just seems like a hassel to continually have to touch it up.
__________________
Cliff Crawler : Jason
[url=http://www.myspace.com/105375860]Check me out on Myspace[/url]
Email: [email=jason.flanigan@gmail.com] Cliff Crawler[/email]
Rubi...or what's left of the stock parts.
Cliff Crawler is offline  
Unread 09-28-2006, 06:37 AM   #53
Cliff Crawler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 209
Well...since you asked...here's what I need to do to my jeep.

Toys for Troy Steering - Needs welding
Diff Covers
Control Arm Skids - Needs welding
Rocker Guards (Jeeperman)
Rhino Lining
4 x Fog Lights
ReGear
3/4" Coil Spacer
Tighten Fender Flares


That's all...
__________________
Cliff Crawler : Jason
[url=http://www.myspace.com/105375860]Check me out on Myspace[/url]
Email: [email=jason.flanigan@gmail.com] Cliff Crawler[/email]
Rubi...or what's left of the stock parts.
Cliff Crawler is offline  
Unread 09-28-2006, 07:00 AM   #54
tommaho
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Williamsport, PA
Posts: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Crawler
So, other than the rigga bling bling...is there any other reason to paint them? It just seems like a hassel to continually have to touch it up.

I'm pretty sure they don't come with any finish at all, so they'll probably rust. I'm not sure if they're cast steel or cast iron.
__________________
Blue Ribbon Coalition | SIRA 4x4 |
tommaho is offline  
Unread 09-28-2006, 08:29 PM   #55
tommaho
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Williamsport, PA
Posts: 1,720
Well, scratch all the stuff I was planning on doing.

The rockers were on backorder so I decided to scratch those and the shocks and instead get the tools and parts to regear. As my luck would have it, the 8.8 covers are on backorder now at Northridge and wont ship til the end of next week.
__________________
Blue Ribbon Coalition | SIRA 4x4 |
tommaho is offline  
Unread 09-28-2006, 09:06 PM   #56
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek
 
BeachinXJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Beach®, DE
Posts: 5,837
Woohoo Tom. Regear FTW!
__________________
2000 Jeep XJ - Chopped / Locked
1997 Jeep XJ - Daily Driver
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD - 6-speed, 4" MBRP Turbo Back Exhaust
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline  
Unread 09-28-2006, 09:24 PM   #57
jipjip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: new milford,CT
Posts: 2,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaho
Well, scratch all the stuff I was planning on doing.

The rockers were on backorder so I decided to scratch those and the shocks and instead get the tools and parts to regear. As my luck would have it, the 8.8 covers are on backorder now at Northridge and wont ship til the end of next week.
i would love to get some hands on exp. w/ a re-gear. some say it's difficult, some say it's easy, but until i can actually do it myself....i won't know for sure.
when i go up to 37's on my rig ( hopefully early next year) i'll want 4.88's, and will be forced to re-gear. but until then, anyone wanting to do it, i would love to help, just to get some experience.
__________________
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline  
Unread 09-29-2006, 08:09 AM   #58
tommaho
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Williamsport, PA
Posts: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachinXJ
Woohoo Tom. Regear FTW!
Yeah, no more putting this off..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipjip
i would love to get some hands on exp. w/ a re-gear. some say it's difficult, some say it's easy, but until i can actually do it myself....i won't know for sure.
when i go up to 37's on my rig ( hopefully early next year) i'll want 4.88's, and will be forced to re-gear. but until then, anyone wanting to do it, i would love to help, just to get some experience
If your up to spending the weekend down here I'll probably be regearing the sunday after the wrench fest. You're welcome to stay here saturday night and join in the head scratching on sunday. I've done it before, so I think I have a pretty good handle on the job. It'll just be time consuming.

I have to give props to Randys Ring & Pinion for really good prices and service. $596 shipped for F&R Yukon 4.88s, full install kits, and an 8.8 notched cross pin and crush sleeve eliminator. And it'll all be here on tuesday.

Tom
__________________
Blue Ribbon Coalition | SIRA 4x4 |
tommaho is offline  
Unread 09-29-2006, 09:44 AM   #59
Cliff Crawler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 209
Ok, I had a slight change in plans...

I should be getting next week:
Rockers
Diff Covers
New Steering System


So my list is a little smaller than before...

I went to purchase the components for regearing, but since I own a Rubicon I have to pay an extra +45 per pair on the overhaul, and gear kit. That's 180 right there.

Bah...
__________________
Cliff Crawler : Jason
[url=http://www.myspace.com/105375860]Check me out on Myspace[/url]
Email: [email=jason.flanigan@gmail.com] Cliff Crawler[/email]
Rubi...or what's left of the stock parts.
Cliff Crawler is offline  
Unread 09-29-2006, 09:47 AM   #60
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk
 
neZZr's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: AZ eventually...
Posts: 4,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Crawler
Ok, I had a slight change in plans...

I should be getting next week:
Rockers
Diff Covers
New Steering System


So my list is a little smaller than before...

I went to purchase the components for regearing, but since I own a Rubicon I have to pay an extra +45 per pair on the overhaul, and gear kit. That's 180 right there.

Bah...
If you still plan on regearing soon, may as well wait on putting on the diff covers.
__________________
My Hummer Hole video
SIRA 4x4 club

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.