Wrench Fest - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Wrench Fest

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-27-2006, 06:35 PM   #46
tommaho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipjip
i have my diff covers on order, so it looks like i'll have more to install at your place.
should i paint them before i come down??? it may be a good idea, so the paints dry before i install them.
what do y'all think for paint on the covers. i think i'm going w/ black, but i don't know what kind of paint is gonna work well.
also, i was thinking of painting the letters on it red or something, so i can show off some bling on the road

I'd say just decent rustoleum primer and paint. It's not like you wont have to touch it up after a couple runs anyway.

I like this paint job:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...&postcount=144

Unread 09-27-2006, 06:39 PM   #47
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i have my diff covers on order, so it looks like i'll have more to install at your place.
should i paint them before i come down??? it may be a good idea, so the paints dry before i install them.
what do y'all think for paint on the covers. i think i'm going w/ black, but i don't know what kind of paint is gonna work well.
also, i was thinking of painting the letters on it red or something, so i can show off some bling on the road
I'd paint them ahead... you'll never get the covers on without all the paint ending up on your hands if it hasn't dried yet.

I used Rustoleum Hammered... it comes out a bit more gray than I thought it would be based on the cap.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2006, 07:35 PM   #48
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I used Rustoleum Hammered on my Tube doors. Nice stuff and it stands up to abuse pretty well.
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2006, 09:43 PM   #49
gmcz7198ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachinXJ
I used Rustoleum Hammered on my Tube doors. Nice stuff and it stands up to abuse pretty well.
Hmmm ya know I think ive got some of that out in the garage. May have to test some of it on the YJ.
Unread 09-27-2006, 11:02 PM   #50
jipjip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaho
I'd say just decent rustoleum primer and paint. It's not like you wont have to touch it up after a couple runs anyway.

I like this paint job:

that's where i got the idea from. i really like the look of that job, and wanted something similar.
any ideas on how to get that done???
it looks like a lot of maticulous work w/ masking tape
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2006, 11:50 PM   #51
SpoolinU

Mine used to look like that....but they started to look crappy after "gently caressing" a "few" rocks so I sprayed them all black and said the hell with it
SpoolinU is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2006, 07:33 AM   #52
Cliff Crawler

Quote:

I like this paint job:

So, other than the rigga bling bling...is there any other reason to paint them? It just seems like a hassel to continually have to touch it up.
Rubi...or what's left of the stock parts.
Cliff Crawler is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2006, 07:37 AM   #53
Cliff Crawler

Well...since you asked...here's what I need to do to my jeep.

Toys for Troy Steering - Needs welding
Diff Covers
Control Arm Skids - Needs welding
Rocker Guards (Jeeperman)
Rhino Lining
4 x Fog Lights
ReGear
3/4" Coil Spacer
Tighten Fender Flares

That's all...
Unread 09-28-2006, 08:00 AM   #54
tommaho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Crawler
So, other than the rigga bling bling...is there any other reason to paint them? It just seems like a hassel to continually have to touch it up.

I'm pretty sure they don't come with any finish at all, so they'll probably rust. I'm not sure if they're cast steel or cast iron.
Unread 09-28-2006, 09:29 PM   #55
tommaho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well, scratch all the stuff I was planning on doing.

The rockers were on backorder so I decided to scratch those and the shocks and instead get the tools and parts to regear. As my luck would have it, the 8.8 covers are on backorder now at Northridge and wont ship til the end of next week.
Unread 09-28-2006, 10:06 PM   #56
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Woohoo Tom. Regear FTW!
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2006, 10:24 PM   #57
jipjip

Quote:
Well, scratch all the stuff I was planning on doing.

The rockers were on backorder so I decided to scratch those and the shocks and instead get the tools and parts to regear. As my luck would have it, the 8.8 covers are on backorder now at Northridge and wont ship til the end of next week.
i would love to get some hands on exp. w/ a re-gear. some say it's difficult, some say it's easy, but until i can actually do it myself....i won't know for sure.
when i go up to 37's on my rig ( hopefully early next year) i'll want 4.88's, and will be forced to re-gear. but until then, anyone wanting to do it, i would love to help, just to get some experience.
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2006, 09:09 AM   #58
tommaho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachinXJ
Woohoo Tom. Regear FTW!
Yeah, no more putting this off..

Quote:
i would love to get some hands on exp. w/ a re-gear. some say it's difficult, some say it's easy, but until i can actually do it myself....i won't know for sure.
when i go up to 37's on my rig ( hopefully early next year) i'll want 4.88's, and will be forced to re-gear. but until then, anyone wanting to do it, i would love to help, just to get some experience
If your up to spending the weekend down here I'll probably be regearing the sunday after the wrench fest. You're welcome to stay here saturday night and join in the head scratching on sunday. I've done it before, so I think I have a pretty good handle on the job. It'll just be time consuming.

I have to give props to Randys Ring & Pinion for really good prices and service. $596 shipped for F&R Yukon 4.88s, full install kits, and an 8.8 notched cross pin and crush sleeve eliminator. And it'll all be here on tuesday.

Tom
Unread 09-29-2006, 10:44 AM   #59
Cliff Crawler

Ok, I had a slight change in plans...

I should be getting next week:
Rockers
Diff Covers
New Steering System

So my list is a little smaller than before...

I went to purchase the components for regearing, but since I own a Rubicon I have to pay an extra +45 per pair on the overhaul, and gear kit. That's 180 right there.

Bah...
Unread 09-29-2006, 10:47 AM   #60
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Crawler
Ok, I had a slight change in plans...

I should be getting next week:
Rockers
Diff Covers
New Steering System

So my list is a little smaller than before...

I went to purchase the components for regearing, but since I own a Rubicon I have to pay an extra +45 per pair on the overhaul, and gear kit. That's 180 right there.

Bah...
If you still plan on regearing soon, may as well wait on putting on the diff covers.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.