Will I pass MD Inspection? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Will I pass MD Inspection?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 02-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
GTEIS300
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Will I pass MD Inspection?

Im curious to see if my XJ im going to pick up tomorrow will pass the "rigorous" MD inspection. Here is a few pictures of the XJ:

Just looking for some info on people that have gone through this process already with a lifted jeep. This is my first jeep so this whole lift/tire world is new to me Cant wait to get wheeling tho. The owner says it need and O2 sensor and the drivers rear door only opens from the inside.

Thanks!

Unread 02-12-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
Bane7962

1998 XJ Cherokee 

How much lift do you have?
Unread 02-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
GTEIS300
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane7962 View Post
How much lift do you have?
3" RC Lift and 32" Pro Comp wheels.
Unread 02-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
Bane7962

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTEIS300 View Post
3" RC Lift and 32" Pro Comp wheels.
I *think* you're good on that. Not sure, but I think that up to 4" will pass.
Just what I heard a long time ago from a co-worker...
Unread 02-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
GTEIS300
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane7962 View Post
I *think* you're good on that. Not sure, but I think that up to 4" will pass.
Just what I heard a long time ago from a co-worker...
Yea. Ive been searching on here and seems like 3" doesnt have a problem. How about the tire poke?
Unread 02-12-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
DiabloYJ
2004 WJ 

Any smaller problems aside, my Jeep passed inspection when I first bought it but I had to put the stock tires back on for inspection only...other than that they didn't care about the lift at all. I had 33's, a shop near you might not necessarily care about your tire size but the one I took mine to did.

The only other issue I might see being mentioned is the lack of fender flares. Where in MD are you?

GD Thread HIJACKERS Member #1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

-Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Sport View Post
Sometimes I wish I had leaf springs.
Unread 02-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
Mickey-D
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You will need fender flares for sure. That is a big deal in MD with the State Police.
Unread 02-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #8
DiabloYJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey-D View Post
You will need fender flares for sure. That is a big deal in MD with the State Police.
I guess it depends on where in MD you are, I'm not saying to not correct a potential problem but I went flare-less with 33x12.5's for awhile and never got pulled over for it once here in MD.

Pennsylvania was a different story though.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

-Justin

Quote:
Unread 02-12-2010, 08:42 AM   #9
GTEIS300
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloYJ View Post
Any smaller problems aside, my Jeep passed inspection when I first bought it but I had to put the stock tires back on for inspection only...other than that they didn't care about the lift at all. I had 33's, a shop near you might not necessarily care about your tire size but the one I took mine to did.

The only other issue I might see being mentioned is the lack of fender flares. Where in MD are you?

Im in Frederick. I guess I could pick up some cheap flares and toss on.
Unread 02-12-2010, 08:42 AM   #10
Mickey-D
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh you could probably go with no flares and never get pulled over but that's not the case. If you want to pass inspection you will need fender flares. That or a buddy who is an authorized MD inspector.
Unread 02-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
GTEIS300
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey-D View Post
Oh you could probably go with no flares and never get pulled over but that's not the case. If you want to pass inspection you will need fender flares. That or a buddy who is an authorized MD inspector.
Any ideas where I could pick up some cheap flares?
Unread 02-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #12
Crewdude007
What, me worry?
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry to thread hijack, but does anybody know where I can find the inspection requirements for MD? I will be moving there later this year and would like to know what I'm in for.

Black Jeep Society
Built Not Bought
Unread 02-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #13
GTEIS300
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewdude007 View Post
Sorry to thread hijack, but does anybody know where I can find the inspection requirements for MD? I will be moving there later this year and would like to know what I'm in for.
No problem! I can help. I was digging all morning trying to find them. Heres the best list I could find:
MD Inspection checklist - Southern Maryland Community Forums
Unread 02-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've known people to pass by borrowing someones narrower tires to keep them inside the flares. (illegal to stick out in MD) And TECHNICALLY mud flaps are supposed to cover the tire half way down but that doesn't even happen on stock jeeps so I doubt anyone cares.

Maryland's height law, I believe, is that the bumpers can't be more than 28" off the ground.
Unread 02-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
DiabloYJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTEIS300 View Post
Any ideas where I could pick up some cheap flares?
Check out some of the Crazy Ray's junkyards. The closest one to you would probably be the Mt. Airy location, I was just there a few weeks ago and they definitely have enough Cherokees.

On another note check out MarylandJeepClub.org if you're not already a member there. There are a lot of forum members there that live in Frederick and somebody there might be able to recommend a place that is Jeep friendly. At the very least someone there might have a set of stock tires they could let you borrow in order to pass inspection.

If it were me though I'd get it inspected as it is now and see what they fail you for, I do believe they will reinspect it one time for free in order for you to correct any issues. You might just end up passing without having to do anything to the Jeep as it stands now.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

-Justin

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.