Western Pa Family / easy trails? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Western Pa Family / easy trails?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
jkoch8819
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Western Pa Family / easy trails?

I just got back into offroading, and I want to take my family on some fun easy trails 1st to get used to it. and so the kids could have fun being in the woods.. But I have no idea where any trails are anymore... I Used to go to Allegheny National Forest and they had a few logging trails, but I cant remember where they are at and if even still open... I know of 6 points, but you either have to have a large group or wait for an event.. I would love to be able just to head out on the weekend hit some trails and let the kids start to learn about Tread Lightly...

Unread 01-19-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
cj7guy
2007 JK Wrangler 

try Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
Unread 01-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
jkoch8819
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I looked into them, but it is Jeep only, I know so what is the problem... Well my best friend Drives a truck and want to ride with him also..
Unread 01-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
MWilcox
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Where in PA are you? Our club has rides around the PA Ohio border, you are welcome to jump in with us. It's a family friendly group, some run hard trails, some run easy. Send me a PM if you are interested.

-Mike
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
fun
2008 JK Wrangler 

I live in Dubois PA and there are plenty of family friendly trails in the area. If you get off I 80 at the Penfield exit and take 153 towards Penfield you will come to SB Elliott and Parker Dam State Parks. Enter either of them and you will find lots of fire roads to follow up into the Allegany National Forest and the Black Moshannon. You can folow those trails up into Elk and Cameron counties.

We pack a lunch and take the kids up there all of the time. Lot's of wildlife to see including the elk herds near Bennezette.

08 JK Rubicon
97 TJ Sahara
95 YJ Wrangler S
fun is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
jkoch8819
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Perfect!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun View Post
I live in Dubois PA and there are plenty of family friendly trails in the area. If you get off I 80 at the Penfield exit and take 153 towards Penfield you will come to SB Elliott and Parker Dam State Parks. Enter either of them and you will find lots of fire roads to follow up into the Allegany National Forest and the Black Moshannon. You can folow those trails up into Elk and Cameron counties.

We pack a lunch and take the kids up there all of the time. Lot's of wildlife to see including the elk herds near Bennezette.
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
Now if I only did not blow my motor 2 days ago.. But I plan on getting the new motor installed in less then a month... So I will be ready... If you ever need anything or a second rig to follow just in case, my family and I would be more then happy... Again Thank you!!!!!
Unread 01-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
fun
2008 JK Wrangler 

Let me know when you are back up and running. We trail ride at least once a month in the winter and practicly every weekend the rest of the time.

08 JK Rubicon
97 TJ Sahara
95 YJ Wrangler S
Unread 01-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
MWilcox
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That's a very nice area to see. We take the snowmobiles out there and ride, very scenic. I may try and get together with you guy's this spring and tool around with the jeeps, I've never been there without the snow.

-Mike
Unread 01-24-2010, 06:43 AM   #9
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I dont know how close to Erie PA you are but I am a member of Erie Jeep People and we have almost monthly trails rides and plenty of guys and gals bring the family along. There are also alot of social events if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Erie Jeep People Forums
Unread 01-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
JDGreen04TJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1398653 View Post
I dont know how close to Erie PA you are but I am a member of Erie Jeep People and we have almost monthly trails rides and plenty of guys and gals bring the family along. There are also alot of social events if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Erie Jeep People Forums
also try pgh-offroad.com
JDGreen04TJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
jkoch8819
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I got my new lift for the Jeep... It is important for my new Blue Print Crate Chevy SB 355 right? I pick that up tomorrow, :-) should be back on the road in two weeks.... In the meantime I will keep you posted
Unread 02-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #12
XJelvis
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun View Post

I live around there! Great place to be outdoors

I used to mountain bike on a lot of those roads. I plan to do some more exploring on them with my Jeep this year
XJelvis is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #13
jkoch8819
1993 YJ Wrangler 

As soon as my Jeep gets put back together, maybe in a week or two I am heading up that way, I will keep you all posted maybe we can meet up for a little winter trail ride!!!!
Unread 02-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #14
fun
2008 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like a plan!

08 JK Rubicon
97 TJ Sahara
95 YJ Wrangler S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.