Tunnel road?!?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Tunnel road?!?!

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-11-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
BlueXJ00

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Tunnel road?!?!

ok so I was goofing off on YouTube watching vids of Jeeps wheeling and such and I stumbled across this one of a jeep Cherokee and a wrangler going up what is called "Tunnel Road" in Florida MA, (western MA) so I Googled it just for ****s. anyway I found that this so called "Tunnel Road" is in Rowe MA but looks like it ends up in Florida assuming you go that way. any who I was just wondering if any of you have ever taken this trail or know anything about it. from the vid it looks like a blast but I donno how hard it is to navigate or anything so if any of you have done this trail and know how technical it is and if a slightly modded XJ like mine will be able to pull it off... so yea any info you guys have on this would be wicked awesome!

Link to Cherokee Vid on YouTube.
YouTube - Brian on Tunnel Road Florida MA

Link to Wrangler Vid on YouTube.
YouTube - TUNNEL ROAD, FLORIDA MA - FIRST OBSTACLE

Link to Google Maps Location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuffers View Post
You forgot the splints for busted fingers and shrink tube for all the frayed wires grounding out inside the door
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
BlueXJ00

2000 XJ Cherokee 

really... 50 views and no posts?! someone must know this mythical road
Quote:
You forgot the splints for busted fingers and shrink tube for all the frayed wires grounding out inside the door
Unread 01-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looks pretty sweet.
Unread 01-12-2010, 02:13 AM   #4
BlueXJ00

2000 XJ Cherokee 

i kow right thats why i want some more info!
Quote:
Unread 01-12-2010, 04:19 AM   #5
ToxicTurtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueXJ00 View Post
ok so I was goofing off on YouTube watching vids of Jeeps wheeling and such and I stumbled across this one of a jeep Cherokee and a wrangler going up what is called "Tunnel Road" in Florida MA, (western MA) so I Googled it just for ****s. anyway I found that this so called "Tunnel Road" is in Rowe MA but looks like it ends up in Florida assuming you go that way. any who I was just wondering if any of you have ever taken this trail or know anything about it. from the vid it looks like a blast but I donno how hard it is to navigate or anything so if any of you have done this trail and know how technical it is and if a slightly modded XJ like mine will be able to pull it off... so yea any info you guys have on this would be wicked awesome!

Link to Cherokee Vid on YouTube.
YouTube - Brian on Tunnel Road Florida MA

Link to Wrangler Vid on YouTube.
YouTube - TUNNEL ROAD, FLORIDA MA - FIRST OBSTACLE

Link to Google Maps Location.
tunnel road florida ma - Google Maps
Obviously not so mythical as it is on maps.
Tunnel Road IS a town road. It is legal to drive. However, the road is legal... not any offshoots or go arounds, just as with OFR.
Tunnel is about 2 miles long (at least the challenging part is). The obstacles shown are pretty much whats there. I would not recommend a stocker attempt driving this road. Not that you couldn't drag one through but it puts a lot of strain on both the rigs and the road.
Very scenic, several areas of old foundations and such. There apparently was a small village up along it at one time.. don't know the specifics. Once you reach the intersection with Steele Brook, it becomes a graded, dirt road.
Taking a right onto Steele Brook will bring you back down to RTE 2.

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
Unread 01-12-2010, 04:57 AM   #6
BlueXJ00

2000 XJ Cherokee 

thank you a whole bunch! i think i might be planning trip! you just made my morning!!!
Quote:
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

We did that as a club ride . I remember driving down the hill on the road overlooking the mnts and watching a monsoon come at us. We did Tunnel in with no doors and a half top. Soaked but had a blast

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
Unread 01-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I need to go take a visit
Unread 01-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

Never go alone. This road has a step like OFR that could stop you if you are not set up or don't hit it just right.and you will have to winch. there is no bypass to this step. Join a club and run it with a club.
Unread 01-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Looks like a nice mild day of sight seeing. I wish I lived closer. I'd be there in a heartbeat.

I don't understand why anyone's saying not to take a stocker there. With the right line(s), I didn't see anything that would stop a stocker.
Unread 01-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

I have driven that road many times with differnt Jeeps.(86CJ7,TJ Rubicon) 33"s
1 don't go alone. Never go alone.
2 There is the first step you must get up then you need to drive up
a step of rock fins that could get you in trouble and hang of the edge.
3 Bring a buddy with a winch just in case.

Last edited by BlueRubiconrich; 01-12-2010 at 07:26 PM..
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #12
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Of course none of these are near me.
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #13
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLJ View Post
Of course none of these are near me.
cause you live on the wrong side of the state
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #14
vwmaniacx
1999 WJ 

This is a local trail to me (I live about 15 mins away) If anyone would like a trail guide come summer please let me know, this way IF you so choose to travel it you will be doing it the legal non-bypass way.

No one is saying NOT to bring a stocker there, just it's not suggested. I myself have brought a stock vehicle up it before, and can tell you for a fact that they will scrape, get stuck, and most likely need a tug or two. Like Dave said, a stock rig will beat the land making attempts at the obstacles.

So please just respect it.

Western Mass 4x4
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:53 AM   #15
Andy-WhiteTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

When I was there last summer, the owner of the house just next to the entrance had posted up a sign that said "No ATVs". I didn't see anything about Jeeps. While I know this is a legal road, I would respect the man that lives at this location and go in as quickly and quietly as possible. Enough yahoos going in and he will easily complain to the town and they could shut it down.

I would air down before you get to the bridge and cross the tracks rather than once inside the trail. The trail is right next to his house and the "chatter" of people and sounds of airing down my antagonize him.

Just a few ideas. Have fun if you go and stay on the road.

Just another member of:Hudson Valley 4 Wheelers, Inc. (a 501(c)(7) Not-for-Profit Corporation)
Member: NOVA (Northeast Off-road Vehicle Alliance)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.