time to get a trailer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > time to get a trailer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #1
jipjip

time to get a trailer

it looks like i'm jumping on the boat w/ everyone else.
all the talk about going to tellico, uwharrie, moab.....
i will deff need to trailer my rig out there, as i don't trust it to go that long of a distance, wheel for a week, and then get me home.
so now i'm recruiting you guys to find me a decently priced trailer in my area (i know tom's good at this).
i would prefer electric brakes, but it's not manditory, just brakes in general would be good.
i don't want to spend over $1k, so cheap,cheap,cheap.
also, i will be towing w/ my dad's zj, so it's better not to be too heavy, as we only have a class 3 hitch on it, and that's only good for 5k.

happy hunting

95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
Unread 10-01-2006, 08:04 PM   #2
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

5K lbs and you're going to be cutting it close. With most car trailers weighing in at almost 2000 lbs, you're not gonna have much room left for the YJ and gear...

GOod luck either way!
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
Unread 10-01-2006, 08:11 PM   #3
jipjip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachinXJ
5K lbs and you're going to be cutting it close. With most car trailers weighing in at almost 2000 lbs, you're not gonna have much room left for the YJ and gear...

GOod luck either way!
i agree, but i don't have the money for a tow rig, and weight distribution hitch right now, so it's this, or bust...
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
Unread 10-01-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Tis cool. It could work... just make sure that you take it easy, and the brakes on the trailer and ZJ are perfect!
Unread 10-01-2006, 08:16 PM   #5
jipjip

Quote:
Tis cool. It could work... just make sure that you take it easy, and the brakes on the trailer and ZJ are perfect!
yeah, i might try something out for this run, and rent a u-haul trailer to see how i do. if that falls through, i may end up just getting a dolly just for the front wheels. which will be a LOT less weight, but it still keeps 2 wheels on the pavement, and if i break an axle, i could still be screwed. we'll see.
Unread 10-01-2006, 10:04 PM   #6
grandman97
Web Wheeler

i towed 2 700 lb quads and a bunch of supplies to PAP w/ my ZJ once and it was awful, the trailer probbly weighed less than 4k and i couldnt go more than 35 up the hills on I-81, the back tires rubbed in the wheel wells, and a week later the transmission crapped out, i would def. not reccomed towing ANYTHING especially a YJ w/ a ZJ
Unread 10-02-2006, 05:39 PM   #7
jipjip

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandman97
i towed 2 700 lb quads and a bunch of supplies to PAP w/ my ZJ once and it was awful, the trailer probbly weighed less than 4k and i couldnt go more than 35 up the hills on I-81, the back tires rubbed in the wheel wells, and a week later the transmission crapped out, i would def. not reccomed towing ANYTHING especially a YJ w/ a ZJ
the trans in our zj just got rebuilt by a company out in utah, that does hd upgrades. we had the trans designed for heavy duty towing, so that's not an issue. we also have adjustable air bags inside the rear springs to help w/ heavy loads in the rear. the only real thing i'm worried about, is the weight dist. hitch that i may need. anything 5k and under you only need a class 3 for, but over that, you need a class 4 w/ weight distribution, brakes, and sway control....all of which i don't have.
i may just end up driving this time out, and looking into getting a tow rig in the end. but either way, i would like the look around for a trailer just in case anything good comes up in my area, so i don't miss out
thanx for the advice guys.
Unread 10-02-2006, 05:56 PM   #8
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

Andy - The uhaul full trailer is ridiculously heavy, somewhere close to 3K pounds and has a 4300lb load limit so I'm not sure that will work out for you. But like the others said pulling with a ZJ is not going to be fun. The main issue will be the quadra coil suspension. Since your load is so heavy it will be moving you all over the place and the ride will more then likely be horrible if not worse without a weight distributing hitch and some kind of sway control. That's my $.02

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

Unread 10-02-2006, 06:24 PM   #9
jipjip

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewman141
Andy - The uhaul full trailer is ridiculously heavy, somewhere close to 3K pounds and has a 4300lb load limit so I'm not sure that will work out for you. But like the others said pulling with a ZJ is not going to be fun. The main issue will be the quadra coil suspension. Since your load is so heavy it will be moving you all over the place and the ride will more then likely be horrible if not worse without a weight distributing hitch and some kind of sway control. That's my $.02
how about just using a dolly for now... that way, there's less weight on the tongue, and the trailer won't weight much at all. as long as the front wheels will fit between the trailer wheels.
Unread 10-02-2006, 06:30 PM   #10
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

That will def. help out with the ZJ, since most of the weight will be on the road... you will most likely fit with no problem on the dolly since the YJ is narrow to begin with..

I shall have pics of my new trailer tomorrow.
Unread 10-02-2006, 06:35 PM   #11
jipjip

Quote:
That will def. help out with the ZJ, since most of the weight will be on the road... you will most likely fit with no problem on the dolly since the YJ is narrow to begin with..

I shall have pics of my new trailer tomorrow.
so you found a trailer????
awesome, can't wait to see your new tow rig, trailer, and trailer queen together, like on big happy family
Unread 10-02-2006, 06:47 PM   #12
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Haha yeah, one big happy, dirt poor, family..
Unread 10-02-2006, 07:22 PM   #13
gmcz7198ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipjip
how about just using a dolly for now... that way, there's less weight on the tongue, and the trailer won't weight much at all. as long as the front wheels will fit between the trailer wheels.
Just remember that on a dolly you have to use your tow rigs brakes to stop the ENTIRE load! With a trailer with brakes you can set the brakes just right, and if your good you can use the trailer brakes to help stop the tow rig!!
Unread 10-05-2006, 12:52 PM   #14
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hey Andy, do you need a towbar? I will sell you my ebay one for what it cost me + shipping if you want.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.