A Run In Voluntown on the 20th? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > A Run In Voluntown on the 20th?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-12-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
soupy1957
2008 JK Wrangler 

A Run In Voluntown on the 20th?

I hear through the grapevine, that there may be some of you who are getting together for a to Voluntown (I'm in Wallingford), on the 20th. I have also heard that this particular run is "do-able" for stock Wranglers (or mostly "stock") like mine.

If this is true, and you are going, would someone or one of you send a heads up for a place to meet in my neck of the woods, and a time, so that I might ride along? ("soupy1957@yahoo.com")

"Please" and "Thank You"

Last edited by soupy1957; 09-15-2009 at 03:36 AM..
Unread 09-12-2009, 05:22 AM   #2
rubiwannabe
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ive been to VT several times.....i wouldnt bring a stocck anything there....my .o2$
Unread 09-13-2009, 03:43 AM   #3
soupy1957
2008 JK Wrangler 

Since I don't have the $$ to rig out my ride for more challenging trails, ........I'm happy with any ride that is "stock" friendly.

I've had an opportunity to use my vehicle on a fairly newbie but challenging trail locally, and found that it was more than capable in moderate rock, fallen-tree, mudhole, and steep-angle climb situations, with power to spare. (Of course "driver" skill is a factor, and I held my own, thank you........lol).

Also, I wasn't talking about Vermont.......Voluntown, is in CT.
Unread 09-13-2009, 04:23 AM   #4
rubiwannabe
2003 TJ Wrangler 

VT = Voluntown..i know how to read
Unread 09-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
ToxicTurtle

I hope that the ride being planned in Voluntown is not at Shetuket Turnpike, or in the state forest, as that area is no longer open. Due to heavy use, the forest managers put their foot down on an area that was technically already off limits, as the roads we used to drive were actually part of an MX cross-country trail system. There was a gentleman's agreement between the organized 4x4 clubs, the state forest people and the MX clubs that used the cross country enduro course. We even did a massive clean up there a few years ago, in conjunction with the two aforementioned groups.
Unfortunately, overuse got it shut down.
There are a couple of town roads out that way that are still open for use, but I would consider them very easy, stock roads, that many could probably do in 2WD.
There are several plots of private land out in that area that are club/invite only. Those are definitely NOT stock friendly.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
Unread 09-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
ToxicTurtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom99 View Post
Let's go Soupy1957, and let's invite Brill!! Seems like he could lead the way!!
I haven't been doing a whole lot of wheeling this year. Only been out twice. Sort of left the wheeling world for a while. Doing vintage/European racing, SCCA track stuff and British car shows.

However, if you email me, I can probably set you up wth some of the road names out there that are dirt roads, have some minor rutting, small rocks and some low level water/mud. Not super challenging but, hey, any day out in the woods is better than a day at work.
I have to check through my maps.
Something that you guys can do that can be real fun:
Go to Borders, pick up a CT gazetteer. That is a map book with pretty much every road still on the books, printed over a mild topo map. Take an area each weekend and highlite the roads you want to explore and check out. Then, get together and go. What you'll find is that some roads may have been paved since the last printing, some may be blocked, some are just gravel that you can drive a Subaru on at speed but, some... some are just bad enough to have some fun on... Takes the Jeep ideal of exploration and puts it into the palm of your hands. AND... if you have a GPS and the gazetteer, if you get pulled over/stopped, you just point to the map and the GPS... if there is a situation, the officer will surely see that you were trying to do the right thing and will almost always tell you to just turn around (w/o giving any kind of ticket/warning) and sometimes, if they're a local, they may tell where you CAN go legally. This usually works best with just a couple of Jeeps, maybe 3-4 max.

E4WBrill@aol.com
Have fun!

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.