Rausch Creek first timers - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Rausch Creek first timers

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #16
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms87 View Post
What kind of armor would you recommend (or consider "basic")? I have rocker guards with tube steps right now, and I'm getting front and rear diff covers soon. I have a new (but stock replacement) gas tank skid.

Oh and how often do you guys see D35 failures on the trails? I know they suck and everything but I'd be interested in first-hand breakage, in your rig or one in your group.
If you are wheeling responsibly, breaking won't be a huge issue. Even with a D35. It's possible, sure. But unless you are really pushing your rig or your spotter gives a really horrible line I wouldn't worry about it. Just have fun. Be prepared... but don't spend your entire day worried about breakage.

As far as armor goes. Here is what I would have at the absolute minimum:

Oil Pan / Engine Skid
Steering Box Skid

Yes, an upgraded gas tank skid would be nice, but it's not absolutely necessary if you're just starting out. Heavy duty diff. protection would also be nice, but not 100% necessary for a beginner. I also like the weld-on lower control arm mount skids from JKS. Bash those mounts enough after multiple trail runs and you will mangle them.

Unread 05-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #17
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

As mentioned above, a heavy duty tie rod would also be nice. But again, not 100% necessary for your first time. The more you wheel, however... the more you'll want all of those nice upgrades.
Unread 05-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #18
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Also please don't stack excessively and remove what you do stack. A lot of the black trails that were hard when they were made are now paved with ramps up every ledge and two rows of basketball sized rocks in some places (ex. snakebite). If you have to stack 2 or 3 rocks that's fine but if you're building a ramp you need to be on a different trail. Please don't ruin the challege for others, there isn't a lot of hard stuff at the park.
Unread 05-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #19
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post
Also please don't stack excessively and remove what you do stack. A lot of the black trails that were hard when they were made are now paved with ramps up every ledge and two rows of basketball sized rocks in some places (ex. snakebite). If you have to stack 2 or 3 rocks that's fine but if you're building a ramp you need to be on a different trail. Please don't ruin the challege for others, there isn't a lot of hard stuff at the park.
That definitely won't be me, I'll be honest and say that I have very little four wheeling experience so if I see something that doesn't look like I can make it, I probably won't try it this time around.
Unread 05-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #20
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post
I didn't see any stacks on Snakebite on Sunday. It was plenty hard for even the biggest rigs in our group w/ 35s. We also had a guy tagging along with a Campbell custom buggy built by Shannon himself (LS2, full hydro, drooool) and he flew up and down the ledges a few times like it was a gravel parking lot. He saw we were fixing a rig and he helped out with some excellent ratchet-strap voodoo.

That leads me into my next tip: MAKE FRIENDS EVERY CHANCE YOU GET!

My wheeling buddy that thrashed his front axle was able to get a replacement knuckle with ball joints and a full shaft (inner, u-joint, and stub) for $6 and two beers. No joke. There are tons of nice guys there. The knuckle came from a Russian guy with a Lada Niva and the shaft came from the Quadratec guys that had leftovers from the swap meet.

Karma, baby. Karma.
Unread 05-27-2009, 01:52 PM   #21
CAJ23
2004 TJ Wrangler 

See thats what is great about this sport.
Unread 05-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #22
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

See: no stacked rocks on Snakebite (maybe technically Camel Back):
Unread 05-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #23
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a loop of 40 photos from my club at Rausch. We have built trucks, so this is the tougher more photogenic stuff. There are miles and miles of easier trails.
Unread 05-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #24
alecmcmahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
See: no stacked rocks on Snakebite (maybe technically Camel Back):
isnt that going down yellow jacket?
Unread 05-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #25
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecmcmahon View Post
isnt that going down yellow jacket?
DOH! You are absolutely right! My bad... Yet another reason I should have geotagged more photos.
Unread 05-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #26
kingcn
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I was at RC a few weeks ago on my “mostly” stock YJ. (open diffs, 2.5 in lift, TJ flairs) I was running 30” BFG MT aired down to 10 PSI and did Blue Trails all day. Admittedly there was a lot of rock scraping, but what do you expect from 30’s &/or really wheeling. Bottom line, I went everywhere I wanted to go and I am sure I could have pushed it further………….GO HAVE FUN!!!

BTW, when do you want to go, I’d enjoy going with.

Rear: Dana 35 4.10: Yukon Chrome-molly axles & Lock-Rite locker

C & C Fab Tube Fenders (giving these guys a plug because they treated me so well)

Home brew oil-pan/bell housing skid plate and gas tank skid plate.
Unread 05-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #27
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

FYI... if you take a look at my homepage (link is in my sig) you will see tons of pics from RC taken on the blue and black trails
Unread 05-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #28
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcn View Post

BTW, when do you want to go, I’d enjoy going with.
Probably toward the end of July. I'd like to be able to pick some stuff up at the PA Jeep Show to bolt on/bring with me by the time we go. Keep an eye on this thread, I'll probably post the date and time here when one gets decided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejafe View Post
FYI... if you take a look at my homepage (link is in my sig) you will see tons of pics from RC taken on the blue and black trails
Yeah thanks for those...I've already looked through them twice before you said that. Good pics, and the mac site is a little slow but very easy to navigate. I wish it would let me use arrow keys to scroll through pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Here is a loop of 40 photos from my club at Rausch. We have built trucks, so this is the tougher more photogenic stuff. There are miles and miles of easier trails.
Damn that is a ton of rocks. I knew about Rock Creek but I didn't know there were that many on the trails. How are the rocks on the blue/green trails? A lot? None? A deceptively large rock has already given me a custom exhaust tip and that was the only time I've really wheeled the jeep. I'd hate to see what those big ones can do.
Unread 05-28-2009, 08:19 AM   #29
TTsupra911
1998 XJ Cherokee 

don't forget to ask Alecmcmahon about a custom exhaust from Yellowjacket
Unread 05-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #30
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
That Scrambler is pretty cool!

Do you guys usually wheel in large groups like that? I think I would go crazy

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.