Rausch Creek first timers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Rausch Creek first timers

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-24-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Rausch Creek first timers

I'm trying to convince some friends to head up as a group to Rausch Creek at least once this summer. I've got a few questions for those of you who have been there before.

1. Our rigs vary quite a bit - I'm locked on 33s with an 8.8 and 4.56 gears, but some people in our group will be open with a Dana 35, 31-33" ATs and 3.07s, etc. Are there trails where we can have fun but not worry too much about rig limitations?

2. Along the same lines, how about breakage? Nobody has a tow vehicle so we'd absolutely have to be able to drive home in our jeeps. We would also prefer to avoid body damage at all costs, some of these vehicles are daily drivers.

3. Since nobody has been there, we would probably need a trail guide of some sort. I'm guessing somebody on this forum would be happy to show some people around?

One more thing, just FYI, none of us have ever been to a "formal" off road park before (in Jeeps anyway, maybe ATVs) so is there a briefing at the beginning of the day, or is everyone expected to know all the rules or whatever?

Toms87 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
Veeb0rg
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Green, maybe some light blue.

My stock rig on BFG MT's made the green stuff fine.
Veeb0rg is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
ktroth
2011 JK Wrangler 

yeah blues and greens. most of the blues are easy enough to do stock with a good driver or spotter. ive done greens and blues stock.
Unread 05-24-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
CAJ23
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I agree the greens and blues and a good spotter makes all the difference. I have had mine on a couple of black trails with a great spotter and mine is my DD. Just be smart pick your lines and be easy on the skinney pedal and have fun.
Unread 05-25-2009, 04:22 AM   #5
alecmcmahon

stick to greens and blues

as far as briefing, the only required thing in the morning is to sign in and pay in the office, you must go into the park with AT least 2 vehicles in your group.

they offer maps, and a rule sheet when you sign in.

- alec
alecmcmahon is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2009, 04:40 AM   #6
TTsupra911
1998 XJ Cherokee 

you'll be fine with that list on all the greens and blues. As far as a guide, even if you can't find anyone to go the park is extremely easy to navigate with the map. They did a great job putting together an accurate map. Most importantly though just go and have a good time.
Unread 05-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #7
oteps
1980 CJ5 

Check out their website it has some of the info you are looking for. They do have a small garage with tools, welder and some spare parts available for a donation to the park. You will not need a trail guide. There isnt any breifing in the morning, just a paper with rules. Bring a spare tire for each jeep just incase. Maybe a spare shaft or two for your buddies running d 35's.
oteps is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you are locked on 33's with basic armor you will do all the blues and probably most if not all of the blacks. A lot of the blacks are rated a little high in my opinion. You're buddies might have some trouble on the blacks being open but there are more than enough blue trails to keep you guys busy. Don't be afraid to try the comp course. There's a lot of lines there for smaller rigs and it's convenient to camp too.
1 ton yj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2009, 09:09 PM   #9
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post
If you are locked on 33's with basic armor you will do all the blues and probably most if not all of the blacks. A lot of the blacks are rated a little high in my opinion. You're buddies might have some trouble on the blacks being open but there are more than enough blue trails to keep you guys busy. Don't be afraid to try the comp course. There's a lot of lines there for smaller rigs and it's convenient to camp too.
What kind of armor would you recommend (or consider "basic")? I have rocker guards with tube steps right now, and I'm getting front and rear diff covers soon. I have a new (but stock replacement) gas tank skid.

Oh and how often do you guys see D35 failures on the trails? I know they suck and everything but I'd be interested in first-hand breakage, in your rig or one in your group.

Last edited by Toms87; 05-26-2009 at 09:30 PM..
Toms87 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2009, 04:50 AM   #10
alecmcmahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms87 View Post
What kind of armor would you recommend (or consider "basic")? I have rocker guards with tube steps right now, and I'm getting front and rear diff covers soon. I have a new (but stock replacement) gas tank skid.

Oh and how often do you guys see D35 failures on the trails? I know they suck and everything but I'd be interested in first-hand breakage, in your rig or one in your group.
IMO

rocker gaurds, diff covers front and back, a heavy duty tie rod, skid row engine skid. at min.
alecmcmahon is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2009, 06:12 AM   #11
Jeepin_Dad
I Like TATAs
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

As long as you stick to green and blues your group should be fine, the park maps are easy to follow and the trails are pretty well marked where you should be able to get yourself around without a guide. If you really feel you want someone to lead that is familiar with the park post up on the RC Forum when you want to go and you can usually hook up with someone that has run there before.

I run Greens, Blues and Blacks in my JK with 33's, rock sliders and factory skids and diff covers. I bang and scrape quite a bit on blacks, once in a while on blues and rarely on greens. I have dented my oil pan so for now I am staying off the harder blacks until I get an engine/tranny skid and upgraded diff covers.

Last time out our group cut two tires down on the rocks, one of them while going through a puddle on one of the main green access trails, so make sure you all have full size spares. We also had one Jeep break a Dana 30, the tire started spinning then suddenly caught breaking the ears off the the outer shaft and a tooth off one of the spider gears, I've seen the same thing happen one 35. It is pretty easy to slip a tire, so just go easy on the gas while crawling through the rocks.
Jeepin_Dad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2009, 06:50 AM   #12
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That should be fine. Maybe a heavy duty tie rod like the other guy said, but you can run the stock one too.
1 ton yj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #13
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

We had a nearly stock YJ through a few short sections of black trails this past (Memorial) weekend. Most of the really hard stuff usually has a bypass. With that said, one guy in our group broke two D30 axle shafts and two ball joints, mostly going _down_ the steep rock ledges on Snakebite. I've been across Rock Creek in my rig a few times with minimal body damage.

One of the Rausch Creek staff trail guides was spotting a stock JK (X, not even a Rubi) in another group through some pretty nasty black trails. A good spotter is a HUUUUGE deal.
Unread 05-27-2009, 11:25 AM   #14
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
We had a nearly stock YJ through a few short sections of black trails this past (Memorial) weekend. Most of the really hard stuff usually has a bypass. With that said, one guy in our group broke two D30 axle shafts and two ball joints, mostly going _down_ the steep rock ledges on Snakebite. I've been across Rock Creek in my rig a few times with minimal body damage.

One of the Rausch Creek staff trail guides was spotting a stock JK (X, not even a Rubi) in another group through some pretty nasty black trails. A good spotter is a HUUUUGE deal.
I just remembered that my avatar (eyes left) is my rig on Rock Creek at the very instant my old Warn side steps got pushed in.
Unread 05-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #15
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
1. Our rigs vary quite a bit...
2. Along the same lines, how about breakage?
3. Since nobody has been there, we would probably need a trail guide of some sort.?
[4] One more thing, just FYI, none of us have ever been to a "formal" off road park before (in Jeeps anyway, maybe ATVs) so is there a briefing at the beginning of the day, or is everyone expected to know all the rules or whatever?
1: Some places there (like 'CV') have easy next to hard, so easy guys can get out and watch the hard guys work it.
2: Breakage is you, not them. Do your pre-maint and don't drive like an idiot (e.g. heavy right foot) and you should be fine.
3: The place is really well marked, no need for a guide.
4: No real meeting, it's assumed you know a bit about off-roading. They have handout sheet of park rules, which are also on-line. Just stay with your group and you will be fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.