People from MA - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > People from MA

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 12-18-2009, 05:46 AM   #31
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I'm going to agree with the statement that the 4x4 crowd is, in general, lazy. Well, perhaps apathetic is a better word. For sure, there is a small core of people that are very active but the masses are not there. Even within the NEA, which has perhaps 2,000 members, only a small fraction are truly active.

David layed out the numbers above. Thats more than enough if everybody invested time & money. Clean-ups, toy runs, Tread Lightly, discouraging illegal wheeling, and all those things are great - my club does them as well - but its naive to think that these activities are going to effect political change. The only way its going to change is to play the game; that means funding political action committees, lobbying influential politicians (particularly the relevant committee chairs), cozying up to department heads, and even fielding candidates. NEA dues is something like $5 for each member of each affiliated club. For all intents and purposes NEA membership is free - yet people will balk at the notion of paying more. What if all of the 40,000 wheelers that David talks about put $50 on the table devoted towards political action? I'll offer that $50 is chump change in the grand scheme of things - a night at the bar, a few packs of cancer sticks, half a diff cover - but taken as a whole that $2 million combined with capable leadership (which already exists) would make the wheeling crowd a force to reckon with. The main problem I see with a political strategy (besides apathy) is that here in NE the states are small and it would be expensive to set up the machinery in all of them. In my state the RIOHVA was actually gaining traction a few years ago but then it apparently fell apart because of in-fighting.

I myself just re-joined the regional wheeling community after quite a few years pursuing other interests. From what I have been able to divine so far there is no significant political activity. The strategy appears to be partnering with private land owners instead. Can't really fault that strategy since otherwise we would have nothing but I have my doubts if this approach is scalable as (if) the sport grows.

Technohead is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #32
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

In Ma we deal with the DCR. The Gov appoints a person to head the DCR
and It's a greenie everytime.Just when you get a guy to talk to he leaves
or gets moved somewhere else. Forget the 1,000 rule on trails. we need to get the state of MA to see us as OHV's and give us those old roads to drive on and not convert them to trails.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #33
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRubiconrich View Post
In Ma we deal with the DCR. The Gov appoints a person to head the DCR
and It's a greenie everytime.Just when you get a guy to talk to he leaves
or gets moved somewhere else. Forget the 1,000 rule on trails. we need to get the state of MA to see us as OHV's and give us those old roads to drive on and not convert them to trails.
Agreed. Its nice to see people like yourself devoted to the cause. I recall reading in another thread (or was it this thread) where you will be attending the next NEA meeting in Worcester. I am also planning to attend. Hope to meet you there.
Technohead is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #34
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

yes thanks.I've been at this for 20 years now attended meetings, done cleanups (pulled junk cars out of the woods.)It's easy to get burned out
I've kepted it fresh starting 3 clubs and driving differnt Jeeps in the last 25 years a CJ5, CJ7, YJ's and now a TJ rubicon . working on putting my CJ7 back together.I've seen them come and I've seen them leave the sport and some come back. Don't say Well he'll do it ,we all need to pitch in. It's more then going on a trail ride, it's leading the trail ride,checking on line at the Deeds website looking to see if a road is still on the books.Helping out with a cleanup.Going to meetings and putting your 2 cents in.Join a club help out
do what you can even when time is hard to find.
Unread 12-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #35
Voodoo_Chile
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Im a member of baystatejeepers and have ridden with ExploringNH. ExploringNH is dedicated to running class 6 roads and Baystate is a sanctioned NEA club that has access to private land and public land. just add a .com to either name and you can find the websites. I say your best bet is to hook up with any of the clubs in New England and you will get ample chances to wheel in the dirt or snow legally.

Ive done a few cut and runs where we created new trails and had a great time fwiw so we arent all lazy btw.
Voodoo_Chile is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #36
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

For all NewEngland 4 wheel drive clubs check out Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs
Unread 01-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #37
ToxicTurtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRubiconrich View Post
For all NewEngland 4 wheel drive clubs check out Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs
Technically that is not all New England clubs... there are quite a few that are part of NOVA, Northeast Offroad Vehicle Alliance. Welcome to Nova4x4.Org [Nova4x4.Org] and I'd say that there are least another 15-20 clubs that choose to not be part of any larger association.
Lots of choices... but just be sure that which ever one may choose, they at least practice legal wheeling. Just for base knowledge sake, there is only ONE legal public road (where you'll need 4WD) available in CT, only about 5-6 in MA and in VT and NH, there are quite a bit more, with less being in southern/populated areas and more being in the northern parts of VT/NH.
Very little in terms of public places. Many clubs have permission to use private lands.. but do research to make sure that where you are going is either public or with permission, as trespass fines can range well above what a yearly club dues will be.
Have fun!

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #38
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

I don't think there are 15-20 other clubs that do not belong to a bigger picture.There may be a few and those may only have a few members (friends,
that call it a club)Anyway they are out there that's your best way. Don't do the well my friend's ,friend's ,uncle's wife's sister said to go here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.