People from MA - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > People from MA

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-11-2009, 06:03 PM   #16
Smtty58
1990 YJ Wrangler 

There are "Jeep Trails" still on the topos, both paper and digital, but that doesn't make them legal. The unmaintained roads is the best way to find legal places to wheel. Even those are pretty scarce.

Western Mass. 4x4
Unread 12-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #17
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

There is a NEA meeting on Jan 9th at the Worcester Libery
or just look at the website for a club. Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs
Unread 12-13-2009, 06:40 AM   #18
Jeepin_Dave
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDVL45 View Post
I know of a couple trails WAY out in western MA that are still legal...I'm from Pittsfield. They're all old roads that are no longer taken care of and have fallen into disrepair.
You could also hit Savoy State Forrest. If you hit the northern end of it, it gets WET and LOTS of washouts. Since its a state forrest, and the trails are old ones to different camp sites, they're still the roads, and not the ATV trails....you just need to look hard and maybe mark them on GPS. The Pittsfield State forsest is the same way...you just need to search. I stumbled across one or 2 in PSF, but I don't have a GPS and I can't find them again.
You just need to make sure you don't do anything stupid or stumble onto any ATV trails. (Most are marked pretty well. You'll see a little pic of a jeep with no top or windshield with the infamous red circle with a slash across it.
Hey I live in Lee and work in Pittsfield. Im sure I have seen you and your buddy's around before. I think I know of a few of the spots you mentioned. We should hook up and try them sometime. Send me a PM with your contact info??

Dave
Unread 12-13-2009, 06:45 AM   #19
Jeepin_Dave
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtty58 View Post
There are "Jeep Trails" still on the topos, both paper and digital, but that doesn't make them legal. The unmaintained roads is the best way to find legal places to wheel. Even those are pretty scarce.
Yes they are scarce! I have stopped at the Ranger Station for the State Forest here in Lee and have looked at thier "Trail Maps" like Dave Brill said before too. They led me over to another map for comparison and thier info was great, They even gave me a few that were'nt listed on that small trail map or on the TOPO's but were legal to drive on and fun to use too. But on one or two trails marked as "trails" on the "trail Map" they said that is was legal to drive on... now they aren't the Environmental Police and I dont know if the EP's would belive me when I said that so its hard to judge sometimes.
Unread 12-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #20
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Are logging roads legal to drive on?
Unread 12-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #21
ToxicTurtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGJB View Post
If you have written permission from the landowner.
In the case of a state land logging operation, usually, the logging company has a permit to use the roads to access certain types of trees. Sometimes the logging co will create roads to access trees.. However, again usually, those roads need to be decommissioned as part of the permit. The roads used by the logging companies are open only to their permitted vehicles, unless they are using state forest, public roads.

Again, sorry to be the bringer of bad news but too little action on our part to ever make that change and too much from the other side for us to think that we'll be able to legally wheel on any public land 10 years from now.

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
Unread 12-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #22
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs
Unread 12-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #23
mikeb683
2005 TJ Wrangler 

^^ look up, ya mass is pretty crazy it has taken me over a year to gather the spots that i have, and i think they're pretty damn good with that being said i have permission to wheel all the spots. And one of them is going to be closed soon because to many are throwing trash everywhere starting fires making their own trails you know the usual. But im still going to be wheeling there considering my family owns over 200 acres of the land, it used to be a great spot but now that everywhere is closed people are being forced into less and less spots, hell clubs from other states come to our little spots and try to wheel its crazy!!!
Unread 12-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #24
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

Set up a date for a cleanup talk to the NEA I'll help you I've done many cleanups
,come to the NEA meeting Jan 9th. ask for help.Don't do it a lone.
Unread 12-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #25
madjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

We have the same problem here in N.H., No legal offroad trails. We do have a few class 6 roads that we can run here and there. But nowadays most of them are " owned by the landowners". I would like to find a club in my area to run with this summer but havn't been able to locate one as of yet. If anyone here in the rochester N.H. area is looking in please PM me With info. Good luck with your trails in MA.
Unread 12-17-2009, 04:47 AM   #26
ToxicTurtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjeeper View Post
We have the same problem here in N.H., No legal offroad trails. We do have a few class 6 roads that we can run here and there. But nowadays most of them are " owned by the landowners". I would like to find a club in my area to run with this summer but havn't been able to locate one as of yet. If anyone here in the rochester N.H. area is looking in please PM me With info. Good luck with your trails in MA.
NH is rife with good clubs.. check out the NEA.. (I'm sure Rich will chime in with the web addy )

It would be nice if we as a wheeling community (when I say we, I mean, everyone who actually takes their rigs out and shifts into 4WD) would realize that it shouldn't matter if you live in MA and wheel in VT or live in CT and wheel in MA, etc, etc... The small state and "not in my back yard" mentality is one of many reasons we are in the situation we are today... IE no real legal public places to wheel.
Just some numbers before I turn my quick rant off....

Just think about how many Jeeps and even slightly modified 4x4 trucks/SUVs are registered and being driven on the roads of ALL of New England......(insert Jeopardy theme here).... OK... maybe 2-3 hundred thousand... more..? OLD federal numbers stated that " only nearly 10% of those who own a 4x4 will actually use 4WD for activities other than snow/inclement weather driving." The latest numbers I had seen were generated by SEMA if I recall correctly.. they had jumped the number to upwards of 20%

OK... lets say that there are only 200,000 registered 4WD vehicles in all of New England (remember, that includes 15 million people in NYC and what, 3-5 million in Boston, seems like a small number doesn't it... but lets keep our numbers small anyway...)
10% of 200K is 20,000 people who use their rigs for 4WD activities other than snow driving... and of course.. 20% is 40,000 rigs being used for "fun 4WD activities"
Question:
Why the hell can't 40,000 freeekin people effect change in this tiny area of the United States known as New England?

Burned out Land Use guru....
Unread 12-17-2009, 08:47 AM   #27
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

we are lazy? And just want stuff to happen for us as oppose to going out and getting it?
Unread 12-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #28
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

The NEA has NH clubs Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs
And I don't think we (Jeepers)are lazy I'm not 2010 will be my 21 year in
4wheelin.We do cleanups , and so many other things. Join a club see what we can do for you and you for us.
Unread 12-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #29
madjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you David for the great point, I personaly moved within the last year to a new area and don't have a lot of time to "get out" and meet people. I talk to the locals at the gas station or store but they all tell me of trails I can go on "If I don't get caught". That's not the kind of wheeling i'm looking to do. I will deffinatly check out the NEA and join a semi local club and I guess by doing so I can pass the word along to the local wheelers I meet and make things happen in that respect. Thanks again David, I look forward to talking to you again.
Unread 12-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #30
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

There is also the fact that the hippie liberals dont have jobs and can spend there days lobbying for trail closures. While us normal people with Jeeps have to go to jobs and stuff. Might not be 100% true but its another way to see it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.