October Mountain? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > October Mountain?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
MDonovan
2002 WJ 

October Mountain?

Has anyone ever been to October Mountain state forest, it's out near leverette, Ma I think. Anyway, the site says it has some "off road vehicles" trails or "unmaintained roads". Just wondering if it was anything worth checking out! I sent an email to the link on the web page to find out what was legal and what wasn't and never got a response so anyone with any info, I'd appreciate it!

Unread 09-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
ToxicTurtle

Your best bet is to print the map from the DCR site. In looking at the map, notice that there are TRAILS and ROADS. Full sized, registered, insured, "street legal" 4x4s are ONLY allowed on ROADS. We are NOT allowed on any trails. There are mostly dirt roads but there are a couple that require 4WD. One has a section that is only about an 1/8 mile long but that one section pretty much requires 35s, lockers, a winch and no real care for your bodywork. In years past, it has taken nearly 4 hours to get 15 rigs through it.

Also note that there is both a summer map and a winter map. Most of the roads are NOT open in the winter as the sleds have their only access.

A good idea is to have a GPS with you, along with the map, so you know where you are. Not knowing will not get you out of a ticket if you're caught on a trail/where you aren't supposed to be. Having the map and GPS, oe can prove where they are.
If you stick to the simple dirt roads, one can easily go alone, however, nasty section I would not go into alone, nor would I tackle some of the mud out there w/o someone to give a tug.

Don't expect to get any reply from the state and if you do, they will most probably tell you that off roading is not allowed in the forest. They mean that traveling off the roads is not allowed, but they really don't want us there, so they'll use the term off roading... especially if you used that term.

Have fun.

Burned out Land Use guru....
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:58 AM   #3
MDonovan
2002 WJ 

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it! I don't think I used the term "off roading" actually, I think I just asked if jeeps were allowed on the "Unmaintained dirt roads" when I wrote to them. I always find it better, when possible, to use a direct quote, it alleviates some of the possible confusion! Either way, haven't heard from them haha. Anyway, I think I'm gonna get some hooks installed before I try anything-especially since I am definitely NOT running 35's..or lockers...or a winch haha. But really thanks a ton for the info, it's appreciated!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.