Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

NY fender/flare laws

7K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  SaxManClay 
#1 ·
i was thinking about taking the flares off of the back of my TJ, and cutting my front fenders but i can't find any laws that give limits on tire coverage for new york state. Does anyone know the law or know where i can find it. i've searched for some time now and this is all i turned up, but i think its talking about mud flaps on comercial vehicles

"On and after the first day of January, nineteen hundred
seventy-four it shall be unlawful to operate on any public highway or
street in this state any tractor, commercial motor vehicle, combination
of a commercial motor vehicle and trailer, or combination of a
truck-tractor and semi-trailer which is not so constructed or equipped
as reasonably to bar water or other road surface substances from being
thrown by the rearmost wheels beyond the extreme rear of the vehicle or
combination of vehicles, and to minimize side spray."

#3 ·
I think that the above law does have an "all encompassing" effect to include our tires extending past the flares but I have never gotten and stuff for it. One time I got pulled over and the cop went through every single thing he could ticket me for about my vehicle including a bent front license plate but never once mentioned the fenders so I think it is kind of one of those overlooked laws unless it's blatantly obvious.

#4 ·
I think that the above law does have an "all encompassing" effect to include our tires extending past the flares
the law above only refers to tractors and commercial vehicles

#8 ·
Im from suffolk I had a cop pull me over in my old yota for tires sticking out to far had 33x12.50s on 15x12 wheels and 2" backspacing....pretty much all the wheel stuck out...Was also stopped for it in my f-250 for it and all that stuck out was the lugs on my swampers...wasnt ticketed either time though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.