no where to wheel in ct - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > no where to wheel in ct

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 02-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
madmike1313

no where to wheel in ct

so i am guessing there is no where to go wheeling in ct now ?

is anyone going to try and do something about nepaug?
just heard they closed it

Unread 02-03-2009, 04:39 AM   #2
ToxicTurtle

Go read my piss and vinegar post in the Who's in CT thread.
You want Nepaug open, YOU go and do something about it.

(In the above, YOU pertains to anyone reading the thread NOT the poster above, madmike)

CYA!

Burned out Land Use guru....
Unread 02-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
7slotgrills
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There are a few places best bet is to join a club www.nea4wd.org
51 M100
Unread 02-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
Guns
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, what he said... http://www.jt4x4.com

http://www.ec4wda.org

Check out the North East region (region d).

NEA sucks!!!

[url]http://jt4x4.com/smf/index.php?topic=88.0[/url]
Unread 02-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
bgoman
2002 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f160/neaug-state-forest-ct-closed-691852/

The DEP says it's closed because of damage and erosion and will remain closed until spring thaw when they can see the condition of the roads better. Other than Nepaug, there's only private land in Connecticut. Also, one of the goals of the club that I started at my school is to keep Nepaug clean, so hopefully they won't have very many problems in the future.
Unread 02-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
7slotgrills
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There are far more clubs in the NEA then EC "D".
The NEA is much better.
51 M100
Unread 03-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
SB42Champs
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoman View Post
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=691852

The DEP says it's closed because of damage and erosion and will remain closed until spring thaw when they can see the condition of the roads better. Other than Nepaug, there's only private land in Connecticut. Also, one of the goals of the club that I started at my school is to keep Nepaug clean, so hopefully they won't have very many problems in the future.
If you need help cleaning, I'll help out. I'm down for anything that gives us 'wheelers' a good name. We need more places to wheel, I'm sure the gov would be more open to it if we also cleaned up some places.

Work before play fellas
Unread 03-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
Z3R0117

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB42Champs View Post
If you need help cleaning, I'll help out. I'm down for anything that gives us 'wheelers' a good name. We need more places to wheel, I'm sure the gov would be more open to it if we also cleaned up some places.

Work before play fellas
agreed if we keep the trails clean the less hassle we get from the goverment.
Unread 03-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
7slotgrills
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It's not the Jeepers it's the dumpers that ruin it for everyone.
51 M100
Unread 03-28-2009, 06:53 AM   #10
ToxicTurtle

It is any irresponsible a$$. Whether that person is on two feet, four feet, 2 wheels, 4 wheels... Irresponsible use of our public lands have ruined our ability to use what is there and ruined our ability to really ever get anything more.
That means going down roads/trails that are closed. Going where there is NO road or trail. Going off the trail and into the woods to avoid mud or rocks that you or your vehicle can't get over. Dropping trash, whether its a granola wrapper or the hood from a 68 Falcon.
The motorized users just get the brunt of the blame.
Until we take our sport seriously (which, no one wants to do because this is supposed to be recreation) and write hundreds of letters, regularly (like at least once a month) to our local/regional reps and thousands of letters on a national basis, we will not be seen as an organization like the Sierra Club or Appalachian Mountain club, etc. Will be seen as disorganized and no threat to anyone in office, a non entity. We NEED to attend every local and regional meeting that has anything to do with use of our public lands, we need to get these issues added to the agendas of our local and regional "town meetings".
However, it takes thousands of voices, not just a few.
All we have right now are a few.
So, until everyone that reads this and hundreds of your friends, get heavily involved, we will continue to lose and not just our public lands either, they are coming for our private lands.

Talk soon,

Unread 03-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
moparjoe
2006 TJ Wrangler 

When is the next meeting?So that any one that is reading this that can make it could attend.
Unread 03-29-2009, 09:24 AM   #12
ToxicTurtle

You have to check your local papers. There could be numerous meetings going on throughout the state on any given night. On a regional basis, there are no state meetings currently scheduled.
In order to get our issues on the agendas of the state and local meetings, we need to let them know, with hundreds of letters written.

Case in point:
When the state of CT up and closed all of the roads in Nipmuck State Forest, we were actually able to get close to 75 people to write letters to the state and we got responses. Those letters lead to a meeting between myself, Aili McKeen (regional OHV activist) and the special assistant to the Governor. Through this meeting, we were able to get one entire half of the state forest reopened.
The problem is that once all those people wrote letters, they felt that was no need to write any more or that they didn't have time to write, or whatever, so the next issue that came up, closing the roads in Nepaug, had a total of something like 8 letters written.

Now, take this same set of problems and apply it throughout all of New England and one sees that in order to keep wheeling, just here in New England, LOTS of people have to be VERY active. Like hundreds of people have to be writing letters, attending meetings, etc. all the time. What the sport has: about 5 people who do that and about 15 people who that occasionally and maybe 50 people who may do that once a year.
Not hard to see that with that kind of apathy, we stand to lose a lot more, including our private lands.

Unread 03-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #13
7slotgrills
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Check East coast 4WD and the NEA www.Nea4wd.org
51 M100
Unread 07-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #14
Dakotah
1999 TJ Wrangler 

BAB BAH said the sheep
Unread 07-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #15
Smtty58
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotah View Post
BAB BAH said the sheep

Attitudes like that is what gets trails closed.

Western Mass. 4x4

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.