MASSACHUSETTS trailing... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > MASSACHUSETTS trailing...

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 08-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
savexourxship
1999 WJ 

MASSACHUSETTS trailing...

Where the hell can I go? I'm sick of Freetown State Forest.

Mainly looking for day trips. Willing to drive a few hours.

Thanks guys!

savexourxship is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
ToxicTurtle

October Mt State Forest and Savoy have some old roads that make for a nice day out.
They are western MA. Find them on a map, then go to the MA DCR GOV site, find the map for those forests. If you head out, make sure that you stay only on the ROADS. Trails are NOT for full sized 4x4 use.
Other than that, best bet is to join a club.
Western MA 4x4 is a good choice... they have a group here on JeepForums and their own site as well. Check the Mass meet and greet thread.. most of them check that thread regularly.
Clubs have access to private lands which makes New England wheeling much more interesting.

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
mikeb683
2005 TJ Wrangler 

now when you say old roads are they even muddy rocky or anything at all. Because the environmental police here are *******s and they dont let you go anywhere!!! so if your speaking of the access roads that they expect people to travel with there cars then i dont think those are going to be anything special. But if they are please enlighten me! and whats the deal with freetown??
mikeb683 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
ToxicTurtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb683 View Post
now when you say old roads are they even muddy rocky or anything at all. Because the environmental police here are *******s and they dont let you go anywhere!!! so if your speaking of the access roads that they expect people to travel with there cars then i dont think those are going to be anything special. But if they are please enlighten me! and whats the deal with freetown??
There are a couple that one would actually need 4WD for.
Make sure you have the map with you and you know where you are.. as you state, they can be real pricks and if you don't know, they may use it against you and ticket you, even though you may actually be in a legal location.

Last I knew of Freetown, it was the same as any other state forest.. Only the ROADS are open for our use and only then during certain times of the year. Check the maps. Stay on the roads and you should be OK.

Stray away from any of the above and you could quite possibly be looking at a simple trespass or misuse of a trail ticket and those run up about $100.

Thats two years worth of club dues..

Unread 08-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
mikeb683
2005 TJ Wrangler 

you know i wrote a letter to the state a very well written one i might add asking them why the hate offroading so much. And why they dont make a permit or registration that would allow you to go offroad in designated areas for a fee determined by the state. They would make tons of money and it would be good for everyone, guess thats why they wont do it. O ya and they never even replied to my letter.
mikeb683 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2009, 04:32 AM   #6
ToxicTurtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb683 View Post
you know i wrote a letter to the state a very well written one i might add asking them why the hate offroading so much. And why they dont make a permit or registration that would allow you to go offroad in designated areas for a fee determined by the state. They would make tons of money and it would be good for everyone, guess thats why they wont do it. O ya and they never even replied to my letter.
You are starting to see/feel the frustration that eventually drove me away from such heavy involvement in the sport.
The people that run the Dept of Conservation and Recreation, don't really care about the recreation part as much as the conservation part, unless of course its completely passive that they feel has less of an impact (its a fallacy but I won't get into those numbers) than motorized/mechanized recreation.
Another part in the puzzle is the fact that the green extremist groups have LOTS of passionate people on their side, probably as many as we do... BUT.. they ALL take time to either donate lots of cash or the time to write LOTS of letters. Not only do we as a community spend our money on our trucks instead of sending into national and regional groups to protect our rights but we are also rather apathetic (of course, you see, you fit into the minority by actually taking the time to write). In order to have the same effect thatthe green groups do, we would need to have about 100 letters flooding the entire New England region's, state offices, every month. Thats 100 letters to the MA officials, 100 to CT, 100 to VT, etc.
The last thing that kills us is ourselves.. Those blockheads who feel that they can wheel wherever they want. Who don't care that they're wheeling illegally.
The states look at that and say.. "well, obviously, you (as a wheeling community) can't even police yourselves, how can we trust that you will if we "gave" you places to do it."
This has been stated directly to my face, at meetings throughout New England, over the last 25 years.

Thank you however, for taking the time to write... Its something most don't even consider.

Enjoy the public stuff while you can. It will not be long before its gone.

Talk soon,

Unread 08-28-2009, 06:04 AM   #7
WJ04
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicTurtle View Post
October Mt State Forest and Savoy have some old roads that make for a nice day out.
They are western MA. Find them on a map, then go to the MA DCR GOV site, find the map for those forests. If you head out, make sure that you stay only on the ROADS. Trails are NOT for full sized 4x4 use.
Other than that, best bet is to join a club.
Western MA 4x4 is a good choice... they have a group here on JeepForums and their own site as well. Check the Mass meet and greet thread.. most of them check that thread regularly.
Clubs have access to private lands which makes New England wheeling much more interesting.

Talk soon,
Hi Dave

OP, like ToxicTurtle said your best bet is to hook up with a club. If you're interested the link is in my sig...
2004 WJ Laredo-selectrac 242-I6- Custom XJ intake w/Amsoil cone filter- PSC HD Pump & Res- PSC ported box- B&M trans cooler- B&M PS cooler- Custom chevy 1 Ton over the knuckle steering- Rough Stuff 1 Ton tierod & draglink ends- Saguaro 4x4 Front 3/4" shackles, Rear hitch & Warn 3/4" shackle-Mopar Front skid,Gastank skid -IRO TC skid- RRO super sliders- 6.5'' IRO critical path lift -IRO extended rear arms-Bilstein 5125 shocks -IRO F&R 6.5'' Bump stops-Carolina drive shaft-16x7 black soft 8's - 34'' Super swampers-Yukon 4.11 gears -Ultimate RCV shafts - LockRight Locked ECGS bolt in rear D60 -35 spline Chomloy shafts -BTF HD diff cover -IRO Adj A-arm-OX Locked super D30 -OX HD diff cover -OX drive away lock-Rock Krawler d30 truss-Stillen rotors & Matrix pads-JKS Adj Track Bar-JKS Quicker discos -Relocated OME SD-40 Steering Stabilizer-BDS stabilizer brackets-Relocated washer bottle-Removed rear sway bar-Cobra CB-TomTom one XL navi-alpine deck

Still to come: Flowmaster 50suv

October 2011 GCOTM Winner

Some of my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/LockedWJ?feature=mhee

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjp2 View Post
I burnout on puppies and kittens
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmaniacx View Post
Lets not and say we didn't.
WJ04 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.