Lookin For A Place to Wheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Lookin For A Place to Wheel

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 03-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Lookin For A Place to Wheel

Hi, I live in eastern MA around salem area and I've had trouble finding places to legally wheel around here. My friend in his YJ and me in my ZJ want to go and just play around and get off the pavement. We arent looking for extreme rock crawling or river splashing, but just some nice unpaved trails with maybe a little bit of rough terrain, a couple puddles. We're starting small cause we're both almost stock and want to get a feel for what our Jeeps can do. I have some nice BF goodyear AT's stock size and he, well, has four totally different tires on each rim hahaha.

Anyways, we just want something unpaved that we can get to within an hour or less preferably. Nothing extreme, just some rough dirt and shallow puddles we can splash around in.

We're not looking to join a club just yet, as we have a close group of friends with jeeps (5 or 6) we prefer to go with. We also want to practice and play around first and if we get real serious than maybe consider clubs. Any advice on trails/where to go?

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
7slotgrills
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Clubs are still the best way .I /People do not give out trail locations
Contact www.nea4wd.org 27 clubs You will find one that will fit your needs.
51 M100
7slotgrills is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

figures.. sorry still not too much help to me. I feel awk around people I dont know, even if we're all in Jeeps its not the same as going with your best buddies

why does this stuff have to be so secret? I mean you can PM me or something we're not hardcore "go every weekend" offroaders, we just wanna give it a shot. It sounds so much better than mall-crawlin

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 03-05-2009, 04:41 AM   #4
92XJCowboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

we keep most trails secret because if you tell everyone eventualy somone is going to screw it up and ban us from the few trails there are.

Do you want 6,000 acres of land open to OHV's?
Sign the petition for Northumberland OHV Park
92XJCowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
Smtty58
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Most clubs have a forum you can hang around and get to know people before you go wheeling with them. Check us out at http://wm4x4.com

Western Mass. 4x4
Smtty58 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
7slotgrills
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've been in 4wheeling for 20 years now this is how it is done.
To find out where the trails are you need to be in a club.
Think of it as your fav fishing spot why would you tell the world where it is.
Trust is in a club you will make friends not buddies a club will take you to a
place that is OK to 4wheel . Not well my buddie said it ways OK.
A club has rules makes you have tow hooks and tow straps with out steel hooks on ends! This is for safety.
51 M100
Unread 03-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #7
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

well, I think I can manage for now. I'd rather get some wheeling experience first before I join a club. I'd rather get stuck, screw up, embarrass myself etc in front of my friends first, then join a club once I know how its done. I talked to some of my friends in the lot at school today who had SUVs. One of my friends who has an FJ cruiser is going to take us on some trails he knows of. No clubs, no fees, no bs, just fun with friends. Sorry guys, I'll consider joining a club once I get a little bit better at all this

Matt
Unread 03-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ya know 7slotgrills, I see where you're coming from now. I got determined, browsed around google maps, and I found "my special fishing spot" of wheeling. I asked if it was okay for me to use certain trails and bumpy roads for recreational purposes and I got the okay for a couple of them. Didnt think the forums would make me go through that kind of trouble though jeez. Im going back to the ZJ forums, its less secretive over there.

Matt

Last edited by compcrasher86; 03-08-2009 at 09:40 PM..
Unread 03-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #9
7slotgrills
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A good 4WD club and it's members are there to help, not make fun of you.
I think you are looking at this the wrong way. So you go out with your friends
get stuck and have to get a tow truck now you have wasted time and money
when a club whould get you out of that stuck spot.
51 M100
Unread 03-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7slotgrills View Post
A good 4WD club and it's members are there to help, not make fun of you.
I think you are looking at this the wrong way. So you go out with your friends
get stuck and have to get a tow truck now you have wasted time and money
when a club whould get you out of that stuck spot.
Sigh, actually I found a friend who has a great spot, and he in his FJ cruiser, me in the ZJ, and my friend in the YJ. We did the instense stuff in his FJ, namely because I didnt want to get stuck. I did all the dry stuff and hills etc in my ZJ. The one time we got stuck was in the FJ and we just used a wedge of plywood board and it worked fine.

I think you are all overestimating the kind of wheeling I want to do. I have a phobia of mud and getting stuck, I just likee dry trails and unpaved roads

Matt
Unread 03-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #11
7slotgrills
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well then the best thing for you is some class 6 roads in NH.
Again joining a club in the NEA will help you find them and get you back home.
WWW.NEA4WD.org
51 M100
Unread 03-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #12
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ughh you guys are really assertive aren't you?

as fun as the clubs sound and all, I only have a DD jeep and I know I'll be tempted to go above and beyond and probably end up breaking something I can't fix. I appreciate the club resource and I've bookmarked baystate jeepers, freedom trailriders, and N.E. Jeepz. I think I'll stick to the dirt roads until I have a trail rig I can screw around on trails with. I appreciate the effort and I'll forward this to my friend and his YJ.

Matt
Unread 03-16-2009, 06:14 AM   #13
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
ughh you guys are really assertive aren't

I feel awk around people I dont know

I'd rather ... embarrass myself etc in front of my friends first
The above says a lot more than you think. You're 17 too, most clubs have an age limit anyway, 18 for my club.
Unread 03-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #14
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
The above says a lot more than you think. You're 17 too, most clubs have an age limit anyway, 18 for my club.
what else do you expect out of a growing adolescent still doesnt mean I'm disqualified from driving offroad.

and if I love my Jeep dearly and work on it all the time, it says something about my social life. Hahah noo I have friends, I'm just not the outgoing type. Like I said, I feel too young and less serious about this to be joining a club

Matt
Unread 07-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #15
Dakotah
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
ughh you guys are really assertive aren't you?

as fun as the clubs sound and all, I only have a DD jeep and I know I'll be tempted to go above and beyond and probably end up breaking something I can't fix. I appreciate the club resource and I've bookmarked baystate jeepers, freedom trailriders, and N.E. Jeepz. I think I'll stick to the dirt roads until I have a trail rig I can screw around on trails with. I appreciate the effort and I'll forward this to my friend and his YJ.
Pretty sickening, aren't they??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.