local trails in mass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > local trails in mass

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 10-31-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
jeepcountry165
1996 XJ Cherokee 

local trails in mass

always looking for new places to go offroad if any one knows of anywhere in mass

Unread 10-31-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
Red Raider
1995 XJ Cherokee 

There are a lot of "dirt roads" That have actual names on maps but are not "suggested for traveling" I know that prob doesn't help and I can't tell you power lines so I'll tell you the safe areas. Coy Hill in Ware, as well as the old fire road in Leverett. Many parts of Savoy Mt. has legal wheeling in fact this is where you can find the jeep jamboree almost every summer in June. If you go to undergroundjeeps.com they are all wheelers from MA. They can give you some great wheeling areas, however most are out west and I think Hali is east, maybe.

Have fun!!!

My XJ
Unread 10-31-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
jeepcountry165
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yeah Halifax is about 30 miles south of Boston there's a lot of old bogs and a few old bog roads and some powerlines but you can only ride the same trails for so long
Unread 10-31-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
crosbike3688
1994 XJ Cherokee 

coy hill is having issues lately. check on NEOW

[QUOTE=ktmracer419]either way thats ridiculously peepee enlargingly tall.[/QUOTE]
Unread 10-31-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
lost honda pro
1997 XJ Cherokee 

tech?

what if everyone made a "any trails near <where ever you live>?"
Unread 10-31-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
TheInstaller
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Coy Hill is closed. Do not go there.
1993 XJ Sport, AX15, NP231, D30 open, Chrysler 8.25 open, Rusty's 3" lift with full packs, Firestone Destination A/T 235/75/15's, Uniden PC68XL CB radio, Custom rock sliders, custom intake, trimmed fenders, custom front bumper, 2" receiver front and rear, 48" Hi-Lift jack, OBA.
Unread 10-31-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
Matt1994XJ

when did coy hill get closed? anybody ever go out to devils peak..i think its in the palmer/warren area. i used to drive up to high rocks a lot in east brookfield and on the powerlines but then they put gates in.

1994 Cherokee 2-Door 4.0L HO w/ 5 speed
SOLD :( Miss it everyday
Unread 10-31-2007, 06:11 PM   #8
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost honda pro
tech?

what if everyone made a "any trails near <where ever you live>?"
Then all the *******s within a 50 mile radius (and there are a plethora of them) would show up and the trails would get closed. The best bet is to join a local club, then you will find the legal trails and make some friends at the same time. There is something to be said for wheelin' with a group in case of stuck, injury, breakdown, etc.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
Unread 10-31-2007, 07:31 PM   #9
xjpilot
1998 XJ Cherokee 

What part of mass are you talkin about? Western mass is full on state forests with some pretty gnarly roads.

Purple Jeep Club Member # 1
Unread 10-31-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Eastern Mass sucks for trails. Check out Capecodjeepclub.com.
Unread 10-31-2007, 08:23 PM   #11
xjpilot
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsktbll109
Eastern Mass sucks for trails. Check out Capecodjeepclub.com.

Eastern mass only sucks if you don't know where to go. Ever heard of hawley ?

Purple Jeep Club Member # 1
Unread 10-31-2007, 09:06 PM   #12
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thats 150 miles from me in North Western Ma
Unread 10-31-2007, 09:30 PM   #13
Delox
1993 XJ Cherokee 

im about 8 miles west of boston, anything near me? (within reasonable distance, or within 40 miles if worth it)
Unread 11-18-2007, 09:48 AM   #14
ToxicTurtle

Ok, ready, here is a list of trails/roads that are available to organized 4WD groups. These are probably not the actual names and some are definitely not the actual names, many are on private land and only open to organized clubs, many only with club insurance.

Lakeview
PainHill
North Field
Stone Gardens
Trail in Vane
DeadFall
WallyWorld
The Asylum
The Phone Line
Undisclosed
OFR
OCR
BHR
Rattler
Tunnel
Dodge/Plymouth
Elephant
Boulder
Fahey's
Bear Mt
The Ranch
Crazy 8s
Notch
incomplete list too....

These are all within 2 hours of Boston and Hartford, CT.

Here's a list of the places that JQ Public can easily get info on and wheel legally.

That sucks doesn't it?! and, thats not to say that some of the above aren't legal town roads, open to the public, as some of them are.
Here are the reasons why:

First off, lack of signage. If I were to say, hey, email me and I'll give you directions to _________ rd. Getting to the part where you'd need 4WD would be fairly easy. Getting you through the entire road, making sure that you didn't stray from the road would be very difficult,as there is NO signage to say, "Hey, this way" This is the road and that is an illegally cut go around. Very difficult to give directions when there are no signs. "Turn left at the big tree, with some weird boulders around it." just doesn't work. Too many people would end up where they weren't supposed to be and the end result would be road/trail closure, as is the case with Coy Hill right now.

Another reason why: The Locust theory. Tossing locations out onto public forums gets a lot of people who aren't far away going to those locations several times a month and that in turn gets us another Coy Hill situation.

For less than the price of stainless hood hinges or set of speakers, one can join one of nearly 30 clubs throughout New England and with some quick emails or a phone call, can be wheeling with a great group of people every weekend.. and somewhere different too. Hardly ever gets boring.

For the EC4WDA affiliated clubs: http://ec4wda.org/regiond/memberclubs.asp

If you have any questions, just ask. Or email me E4WBrill@aol.com

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
Unread 12-09-2007, 08:50 AM   #15
kenbuck
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Cape Cod Jeep Club doesnt post trail information in a public forum.
However, if you wish to join, visit the website.
We're just as concerned with land use issues and the "locusts" as everyone else.
33" KM's
misc other stuff.....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.