Inspection question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Inspection question

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 12-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
TanTJ04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

PA Inspection question

Well its that time again, anyway will a stubby bumper be ok for inspection? I know the law says bout bumper height, but not length!

2004 TJ X 5spd, 30-Aussie locker and Chromo'd, 44-lsd & disc brakes, 4" Currie lift, Anti-rock, 1.25" bl, UCF 1" skid & Lo-pro mount, AA SYE, JKS MML, ZJ V8 Tierod, JKS Trackbars, smittybuilt winch w/ synthetic line, Caravan fuel injectors, CAI, TB spacer, flowmaster 44 2.5", 35x12.50x15 km2, 7" fenders, uniden cb

Last edited by TanTJ04; 12-16-2008 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: narrowing the question in the title
Unread 12-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, I'm glad I don't have to worry about that. The jeep is mostly stock, but I've had cars & motorcycles in the past that wouldn't have a chance to pass.
Unread 12-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
NJHCx4xLIFE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prjohnson View Post
Wow, I'm glad I don't have to worry about that. The jeep is mostly stock, but I've had cars & motorcycles in the past that wouldn't have a chance to pass.
Most states in the northeast are insane. New Jersey has special inspection for lifted vehicles too. I have escaped it with both of my TJs but my dad bought a YJ and it has a 2nd inspection sticker with heights recorded and if the any change it needs to be re-inspected at one of a few special inspection stations. I think that if I feel safe driving it then it isn't too high and they shouldn't care.
Unread 12-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
cack-
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i have never seen anything about length in there.. and our inspection laws are so bad that there have been so many complaints that they are re evaluating them...

i believe one of the more absurd ones is that the rubber seals on your doors have to be in good condition as to not let "emissions" in

ours are nuts.. alot of them i really shouldnt pass just because i have a soft top and theres so many "holes" where the zippers meet.
Unread 12-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
p2000sk
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Why don't you just run it through inspection. It's free right?
Unread 12-16-2008, 06:54 AM   #6
TanTJ04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure, I know emissions say you must pay either way pass/fail
2004 TJ X 5spd, 30-Aussie locker and Chromo'd, 44-lsd & disc brakes, 4" Currie lift, Anti-rock, 1.25" bl, UCF 1" skid & Lo-pro mount, AA SYE, JKS MML, ZJ V8 Tierod, JKS Trackbars, smittybuilt winch w/ synthetic line, Caravan fuel injectors, CAI, TB spacer, flowmaster 44 2.5", 35x12.50x15 km2, 7" fenders, uniden cb
Unread 12-16-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
oteps
1980 CJ5 

You will get charged pass or fail but if you fail you will not have to pay for the $2 sticker. I am an official inspection station for motorcycles and soon to be cars and light trucks I hope. I am going through a few issues with penndot. OK here is the bumper rules--- a vehicle shall be equiped with bumpers of a type used as original equipment or a replacement which is equal to or greater in strength than that provided by the vehicle manufacturer, securly attached to the chassis or frame.
1 A bumper shall be of atleast equizalent strength and mounting as original equipment.
2 No portion of a bumper may be broken, torn or protruding to create a hazard.
3 A bumper may not extend beyond the body line or be longer than original equipment, which ever is greater.
4 A wood plank bumper is permitted on a road service truck or wrecker, if it is firmly attached to a regular bumper or equivelant steel backing.
5 Some part of the horizontal bumper bar on pass. vehicles shall fall within 16-20 inches from ground level.
Multipurpose pass vehicles and light trucks 16-30 inches above ground level.
The inspection garage will probably fail it. Call someone at pendot and ask them. On penndots website you can find your local quality assurance officers phone # call them and ask.
Unread 12-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
TanTJ04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

so it still says nothing about shorter than original bumpers just can't be longer!
Unread 12-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
oteps
1980 CJ5 

Thats what it says, there are a lot of grey areas in the inspection regulations. I would call the inspection station and ask them first if they would inspect it. i would inspect it for you but it will be about 1 or 2 months before I get everything set up to inspect autos.
Unread 12-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #10
TanTJ04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

well its not my dd so I might wait if I have any problems!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.