Freetown Forest - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Freetown Forest

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #46
savexourxship
1999 WJ 

Pittttt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashbardBand View Post
i was in there today again in the pit
What is this pit you speak of? Location?

savexourxship is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #47
WashbardBand
1994 XJ Cherokee 

it is in the area of Chace st. there are huge hills and mud water and rocks. I met a few people on quads there that i see all the time the pits are there back yard. There is also a big sand pit there. you have to cross the gas line to get there but i never got in trouble there because its just crossing the line not traveling on it what so ever
WashbardBand is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #48
vwmaniacx
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj40j View Post
o vwman i was just saying that because if i was wheelinga honda civic then marked roads would be fine but any thing more capable the main roads are like driving around the city
So what your saying is your going to go where the EPA would give you a ticket if they caught you there?

Western Mass 4x4
vwmaniacx is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 09:37 PM   #49
WashbardBand
1994 XJ Cherokee 

no i dont think so been going there for a few years never had an issue theres no signs stating its illegal or anything
Unread 10-18-2009, 07:41 AM   #50
fj40j

wasbard that pit is illegal the pit with the hill and the water are private property not the state forest and the sand pit is state forest not saying not to go there but thay are illegal also don't give out specific location online like that pm him if ur geting that specific, also can't wait to get my truck done going to wrench in the garge today u guy's are making me jealous
fj40j is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 07:44 AM   #51
TJ_Jeeper_97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

There are roads there that are more challenging...you just have to find them
Unread 10-18-2009, 07:47 AM   #52
TJ_Jeeper_97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

To quote my friend Dr. Brown, "Roads!?...Where we are going, we dont need roads..."
Unread 10-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #53
WashbardBand
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj40j View Post
wasbard that pit is illegal the pit with the hill and the water are private property not the state forest and the sand pit is state forest not saying not to go there but thay are illegal also don't give out specific location online like that pm him if ur geting that specific, also can't wait to get my truck done going to wrench in the garge today u guy's are making me jealous
Oh didn.t know that. the guys I met on quads said that was there back yard and I got told it was fine been going there for years theres always trucks in there. If it was posted I wouldn't go in there but theres not a single sign there.
Unread 10-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #54
ToxicTurtle

Here's an unfortunate issue with most of our New England states.. the states A) don't have a lot of money to spend on the state forests. The state parks are more visited than the forests, so they put more money there. B) They state forests are NOT very well signed, due to A above.
Most state laws say that a road is closed if it is signed as such, gated or blocked in a way to prevent access. Being informed is our best defense and even a good offense. That means if you have a map with you and can show you are on a road on that map; if you have a GPS and can locate yourself exactly; if you carry a copy of the law; all of those will immediately put you into a place of "informed responsible" wheeler as opposed to "ignorant renegade" wheeler in the eyes of any EPOs you may come across.
If the private piece is generally open and the landowner doesn't really give a rats arse about it being used, then, do a little research; find out their name and make contact. Make a donation to their favorite charity.. which may very well be them, get a Home Depot card or something similar.

The best and easiest way to win any confrontation is with superior information. If the road is INDEED closed but is not signed, the EPO is not going to bust your chops and he/she may even direct you to other places that ARE legal, as they now see you as a responsible user not irresponsible, taking off running, like you did something wrong.

The catch... This will take some work. You will have to spend some of the valuable time that you might have spent on this forum or any other and spend some time on the MA DCR site, you'll have to search through the MA state road law site and you'll have to spend some time asking around for the landowner's name, maybe research some tax documents.. might even mean taking an hour or so and heading off to the clerks office to find out.

The reason many of us "old timers" know so much is because we did everything mentioned and then-some to make sure we were in the right.
Go to the second post in this thread for a map of Freetown. If it says ROAD, we are allowed, during summer months (may not be during winter, as sleds have their time to play too) if it says TRAIL, we are NOT allowed. Its really that simple. Sometimes a road may also be listed as a hiking trail, but if it has ROAD in its name, than its a road.
Case in point: Makepeace Road, Payne Road are open roads, we are allowed there. Bent Rim Trail however, we are not. All the un-named trails shown are just that, as listed in the map key as multi-use motorcycle trails and as such are NOT open for our use.

To do this all correctly and legally will take work and it will mean working with local clubs etc to get information like where to find the info online (such as the laws, etc) if they're nice, they may even give that info out to non-members without making you go through all the work yourself.
Most people don't want to take the time or the effort to do things right so, that is one of several reason why we are always losing public places and will continue to do so until, in a very short period of time, we will have nothing left except paved or graded gravel roads. AND, it will be all our own fault.

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #55
WashbardBand
1994 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for the info i will start looking into it.
Unread 10-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #56
fj40j

i will give u the law if ur offroad u are ilegall, wash i have bin going there for years to i used to live near the forest and dirt biked it my hole life so i know every nuck and crany, but about a year ago i was in that pit and a old man with gun on his hip told that i was on his property and told me to get out i have bin going back for ever sinse and never saw him again, what i was realy saying was don't give locations online any one googles finds it and bring every body over there and ruin it
Unread 10-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #57
fj40j

hay wash what u got in that jeep u locked up what tire size stuff like that
Unread 10-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #58
heep1991
2007 JK Wrangler 

Why do we have signs on the road? To inform you of the laws and the characteristic of the road. No signs = not illegal in my book. If they didn't want you somewhere they would let you know not from here say or 3rd party. Do you research the laws before you drive somewhere you haven't been before? come on lets be serious. that's just the truth and how I roll haha

Last edited by heep1991; 10-18-2009 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: miss type
heep1991 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #59
ToxicTurtle

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #60
fj40j

turtle why so mad no madder how hard we tri to do it right thay are going to take more and more rights a way every year so why bother

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.