Centralia Trip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Centralia Trip

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
the6nightmares
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Centralia Trip

So I have never been, although I've heard a lot about it from fellow wheelers, as well as a college geology teacher. I live in MD, near Baltimore and am planning a trip up the weekend of Valentines day. Considering Friday or Saturday. Curious if anyone else would be interested in going, and if anyone has any tips, areas to check out, potential wheeling spots. I have just read bits and pieces so I am not sure where I can drive and get out and walk. Is it legal to begin with? I know just visiting a town is perfectly fine, but I don't want to unintentionally seem like a jerk driving/walking around someones property. Any info would be great, we are going to be taking one Jeep, so thus far its just my group of 4 people.

Unread 02-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
Veeb0rg
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I have been wanting to go for a while myself, my friends and I were just talking about it actually. Please keep me informed, I might want to tag along.
Veeb0rg is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
the6nightmares
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thatd be cool with me, how many vehicles would you be taking? Were thinking 9-10am sat the 13th
Unread 02-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
Veeb0rg
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Just mine, If they go they'll be riding with me.
Unread 02-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
the6nightmares
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds good, I'll keep you posted
Unread 02-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
XJNUTTIER
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hey guys, I live in Lancaster, PA. I grew up in Schuylkill county, and am real familiar, with the area up there, I would be interested, but I wouldnt be able to do it on a Saturday, but on a Sunday, I would be able to get you around the area, and keep you out of trouble for the most part..Let me know, I could definatley get you to some good spots, and there is a ton of spots in the genral area up there that are a blast to wheel at.. Let me know.. thanks Mike
XJNUTTIER is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
CheapJeep88
2000 WJ 

What college do you teach at? Im a Geology major at Kutztown University in PA.. kinda cool that a prof. uses jeep forum..
Total invested into jeep including jeep = $850.00
my build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...thread-909583/
CheapJeep88 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
the6nightmares
2001 XJ Cherokee 

^^^ I may have mislead you, I am not a geo professor, but a professor I had while in college mentioned going there several times with his kids. How far is Kutztown from Centralia? I know a couple people that live there. Unfortunately Sunday the 14th will not work for me, although I would imagine if this potential trip turns out to be fun I will want to go back. It is about 2 hours from where I live so I plan to take my girlfriend and a couple buddies along. Anyone else from the area interested in going?

I have google earthed the area, it looks like there are trails everywhere, there are even pictures that people have uploaded to google earth that appear to be 4x4 trails. My only concern is ending up on someones property without knowing it. From what I've read there are less than ten residents of the town, so I guess the risk of trespassing, or at least being seen are fairly slim.
Unread 02-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
XJNUTTIER
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the6nightmares View Post
^^^ I may have mislead you, I am not a geo professor, but a professor I had while in college mentioned going there several times with his kids. How far is Kutztown from Centralia? I know a couple people that live there. Unfortunately Sunday the 14th will not work for me, although I would imagine if this potential trip turns out to be fun I will want to go back. It is about 2 hours from where I live so I plan to take my girlfriend and a couple buddies along. Anyone else from the area interested in going?

I have google earthed the area, it looks like there are trails everywhere, there are even pictures that people have uploaded to google earth that appear to be 4x4 trails. My only concern is ending up on someones property without knowing it. From what I've read there are less than ten residents of the town, so I guess the risk of trespassing, or at least being seen are fairly slim.

Very cool hopefully nexttime, I work at a Jeep dealer so Saturdays are off limit..LOL gotta love retail.. anyways there is a ton of places to go, but you must be very careful up there also, especially in Centrailia area. Remeber why the town is the way it is for a reason, underground mine shaft fires that have burned for years and destroyed all the timbers and shafts and such, and not tomention just the coal veins. The thing youhave to watch out for is cave ins, try not to trek off the beaten trail, watch out for cracks in the earth, and of course, when you see smoke or steam looking stuff that is gases let off from the fire underground.. not trying to act like a father, but just dont want to see anyone get hurt.

Like I said I grew up in Minersville just south of Centrailia, and I remeber a news story of a kid palying in his backyard, and the ground actually let loose,a nd he was taken in to the earth, i don't think he fell very far, but far enough, and he defiantely didn't die, thank God.. But yeah those are some of the reasons they US gov. packed those folks up and moved them to New Centrailia, over by Kulpmont on the other side of Mt carmel, the next town west of Centrailia...

But yeah mna, there is a ton of places to go there, and try to stay clear of the mining operations and the haul roads, they are usually off limits, and will probably get you in some trouble.. there is a ton of active mining still going on around that area, and most folks around there are very down to earth, and are pretty good about land usage, but just dont litter,a nd be disrespectful to the land, and you guys should be fine..

One more side note, the fire is actually so large it is spreading west to Mt carmel,a nd actually threatens that town as well, so keep that in mind when picking a wheeling spot.. Hey I suggest going up on snake road, it is a lil side road up off of the road going to Centrailia, just past the drive in, there is a ton of trails right off that road.. Good luck and happy wheelin....,,

And in Ashland there is a place on route 61 as you enter town called Danny's drive in, they have the most rockin burgers with hot sauce.. Check them out and enjoy... oh yeah and real cherry cokes, the old fashoined way....
XJNUTTIER is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
the6nightmares
2001 XJ Cherokee 

^^ I like how you prefaced that by saying "not to sound like a father" but that is very fatherly advice. I knew of the fire and whatnot, trust me the last thing I want is my Jeep at the bottom of a mine. Thanks for all the good info, I'll google earth the area again and pin point the locations you mentioned. Sounds like you know your stuff. I have noticed that there are plenty of active mines still in the area. I'll be sure to post some pics from the trip. Thanks again nuttier.
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
Veeb0rg
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Talked with my friends and they're onboard for the trip.

I would feel better bout the trip if we could find someone who's been there before to guide us.
Unread 02-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #12
the6nightmares
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I agree, but I'm not worried if we don't. I want to look around what is left of the town, the splitting 61 stretch of highway, and see if the visable trails on google earth are worth wheeling.
Unread 02-03-2010, 12:27 AM   #13
black02tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i've been there a few times but just to walk around..it would be interesting to there to wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
when life gives you lemons.....make a trail rig out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbeeatch View Post
Mine's the baddest because it keeps robbing me of money and time and I'm too afraid to do anything about it. My jeep makes me call it daddy, also after the pic in my avatar it told me "no more poser shots beeatch" I said yes daddy.
black02tj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #14
ExNeph
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Plan on going down early in the morning on Sunday the 14th. Leaving from Nanticoke, PA, most likely around 6-7AM. It's only about an hour to two hour trip from here, but I'll probably take back roads as I don't like to push the ol Jeep that far. I mean, hell, it keeps throwing the code for lean air/fuel about ten minutes after going up I-81 around 55-70MPH..

So, if anyone else is going, let me know. My fiancee and I will probably be heading down there via Route 11, through Bloomsburg.

Like I said, if anyone else plans on going down, let me know, and we'll meet up somewhere.

Parts broken/blown up: Engine, clutch, transmission synchros, wheel joint, wheel bearing, front driveshaft u-joints, front shaft oil seal, radiator, water pump, belt, passenger door latch, cat-back exhaust system, front fender flares, front axle seal, transfer case output seal, rear driveshaft u-joints, parking brake..
ExNeph is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #15
the6nightmares
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Nice sounds like the area will have a few visitors that weekedn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.