Car Camping in NY State - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Car Camping in NY State

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
srad711
2003 WJ 

Car Camping in NY State

I want to do some car camping in NY state, I prefer a semi isolated area. Taking my 03 GC with 2.5 BB with 32's and recovery. Anyone know of a good legal place without a ton of people??? Im from CT and my girlfriend is up at the adirondacks for the weekend, going to meet up with her.

Anyone know of a good legal place without a ton of people???

srad711 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
jaw41272
1991 YJ Wrangler 

be careful in the adirondacks, lots of big dangerous animals in them woods...... night time can be interesting.
most of new yorks state parks allow free camping, but there are restrictions as far as where you can take your vehicle. go to a local outfitter or good sporting goods joint and pick up a trail map for hikers, it pretty much lays out the guide lines and doesnt cost an arm and a leg.
91 Sahara 4.0l Operation Welcome Home Parade Veh #69
PARADE JEEP MEMBER #1Auto posi-lok equipped, 4" susp. lift
K&N Drop in and loaded with battle scars
www.americaisfull.com
FOR SALE 2005 PT CRUISER CONVERTIBLE
2005 Suzuki DRZ400S For SALE
jaw41272 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
srad711
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw41272 View Post
be careful in the adirondacks, lots of big dangerous animals in them woods...... night time can be interesting.
most of new yorks state parks allow free camping, but there are restrictions as far as where you can take your vehicle. go to a local outfitter or good sporting goods joint and pick up a trail map for hikers, it pretty much lays out the guide lines and doesnt cost an arm and a leg.
Thanks for the help. I bring my 160lb South African Mastiff with me. He is very good at scaring away any animal. He was bred to hunt lions ......no fear
srad711 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
jaw41272
1991 YJ Wrangler 

From what I remember you can camp anywhere on NYS land as londg as your 50 feet? from the road or a creek, and camp fire restrictions are in place as well. I am sure you can find something thru google, and a 160lb dog is definitely a good deterent
91 Sahara 4.0l Operation Welcome Home Parade Veh #69
PARADE JEEP MEMBER #1Auto posi-lok equipped, 4" susp. lift
K&N Drop in and loaded with battle scars
www.americaisfull.com
FOR SALE 2005 PT CRUISER CONVERTIBLE
2005 Suzuki DRZ400S For SALE
jaw41272 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
XaphanZ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

check out:
Spencer Rd
West Hurley, NY 12433

was up there this past week-end and seen a couple nice isolated camping spots. it's a seasonal road in the catskill mountains, mild off roading... some mud, some ruts but nothing hard too hard core off of the seasonal road.
there are other trails which i haven't explored yet which are a little more uhm.... medium core? i went partially down one of them and found a really nice spot. parking for 2 jeeps easily, could prolly fit 4 or 5, and lots of tent space. further down there are hiking trails which lead to vernooeykill falls. google map it. cross road & dymond road @ the begining of spencer. google maps show it as ending, but it actually continues quite a ways all the way to the town of palinville.
XaphanZ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
dolphy
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XaphanZ View Post
check out:
Spencer Rd
West Hurley, NY 12433

was up there this past week-end and seen a couple nice isolated camping spots. it's a seasonal road in the catskill mountains, mild off roading... some mud, some ruts but nothing hard too hard core off of the seasonal road.
there are other trails which i haven't explored yet which are a little more uhm.... medium core? i went partially down one of them and found a really nice spot. parking for 2 jeeps easily, could prolly fit 4 or 5, and lots of tent space. further down there are hiking trails which lead to vernooeykill falls. google map it. cross road & dymond road @ the begining of spencer. google maps show it as ending, but it actually continues quite a ways all the way to the town of palinville.
Good stuff man. I'm looking for a spot like this to take my wife camping. Is it pretty secluded?
Unread 09-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #7
XaphanZ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

secluded? yeah. lol... my buddy and i nick named it "*** rape rd". totally the kind of place you might bring someone to tell them they have a purdy mouth and make them sqweel like a pig.
take the nys thruway to new paltz. head up the mountian on 299, then right onto 44/55. take that over the mountain. left onto 209, then look for rt 55 on the right headed to grahmsville. take 55 to where it splits ( 55 on left and 55a on the right. take 55a ( the resevoir will be on your left ) to yagerville road. follow that until it turns into dymond road. stay on dymond for about 1/2 mile and spencer road ( seasonal use road ) will be on your right. don't mind the "bridge out" sign. it's not out.... and if it is, then i didn't notice cause i went all the way down it to the next town.
my only advise is if your gonna be there more than 3 days, pick up a camping permit in the unlikely event a ranger should come through, and bring a legal fire arm of some kind or at the very least, bear pepper spray because there really is nobody around to hear you scream and it's better to be safe than sorry.
the best site i found was off of spencer on a very rocky trail on the right hand side. prolly....1/8-1/4 mile down. still lots i haven't expored too!

Last edited by XaphanZ; 09-01-2009 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: typo
XaphanZ is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.