5th Gear Gone!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > 5th Gear Gone!!!

Up to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 11-30-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
jrnjay

5th Gear Gone!!!

Driving along in 5th (doesn't happen too often) yesterday and the engine just rev'd up as if I threw the clutch in ...Damn Jeep I thought... After a sincere apology I shifted into 4th and she roared back to life and once again... Off like a heard of wild stampeding race turtles I tried to go into 5th again and nothing When I stopped I noticed I could move the shifter in and out of 5th with or without the clutch so I figure I either broke the shift fork or it's just floating on the shaft.

1991 YJ Black 2.5 5speed 3.5" Fabtech lift 32x11.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers

[QUOTE]It's not what you don't do it's how you don't do it that counts!!![/QUOTE]
Unread 11-30-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the 5th gear snap ring. THe achilles heal of the AX5. Happened to me on th ehiway as well. 4 down worked fine, but they will start to slowly fail as stuff moves out of place. From what I understand, that's what happens when a weak 4-spd tranny gets "upgraded" to a 5 speed.

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
Unread 11-30-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Time for a 350 & turbo-400!

I'll be Savvy someday!
Unread 12-01-2006, 04:48 AM   #4
jrnjay

Well it looks like I'll be swapping tags to the other square eye today so I can tear down the tranny. I've got some other areas of concern to address aslo to try and get ready for the Jan run...Who knows it might end up going on a trailer...all depends on how much I end up doing

BTW...It's great having a spare Jeep

[QUOTE]It's not what you don't do it's how you don't do it that counts!!![/QUOTE]
Unread 12-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #5
jipjip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnjay
Well it looks like I'll be swapping tags to the other square eye today so I can tear down the tranny. I've got some other areas of concern to address aslo to try and get ready for the Jan run...Who knows it might end up going on a trailer...all depends on how much I end up doing

BTW...It's great having a spare Jeep
instead of getting another ax5, you should look into an ax15 swap, or similar. i know it's been done. don't know how hard, but it might be worth it.
or just do a complete powertrain swap, and swap in the 4.0l, nv3550, and might as well upgrade the axles at the same time
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
Unread 12-01-2006, 03:51 PM   #6
jrnjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipjip
instead of getting another ax5, you should look into an ax15 swap, or similar. i know it's been done. don't know how hard, but it might be worth it.
or just do a complete powertrain swap, and swap in the 4.0l, nv3550, and might as well upgrade the axles at the same time
That's my fear for now is the "Jeepitup" syndrome I would love to put a 4.3 and a 700r4 Then the big BUT, knowing me I will then want bigger tires which takes me off of the D35 onto at least D44s...then I'll need to re gear...etc, etc... These are all real possibilities

I think for now (Having a spare Jeep) I'll tear down the POS ax5 and if it's a snap ring or a fork then I'll fix it. If not I'll throw the backup ax5 that's sitting in the garage in there and go on with this equipment.

I have to keep in mind the spare Jeep is totally unacceptable the way it is I did put a new top on today but those tiny black things on those stock wheels MUST be gone I'm looking at a lightly used set of 33x12.5 super swampers tomorrow and might be getting a set of 15x10 AR outlaw IIs...of course that means the spare Jeep Must Go Up And I believe that's going to start with a SOA and 1"BL.

Unread 12-01-2006, 04:04 PM   #7
Dozer.

"Jeepitup" syndrome

That's not fair. You can't go around throwing those kind of names at me Jill might find out how much money I am actually dumping in there!

Hey BTW, I know this guy who has an extra set of 33's (already mounted & balanced). He will also have a set of axles that would fit you just perfect. ARB's and 4.88's

[COLOR="Blue"]Lock'd, Rock'd, but not ready to roll.
[/COLOR]
[SIZE="2"]There needs to be a Twelve Step program to stop the modding addiction![/SIZE]

[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="DarkRed"][U]SAVE PARAGON![/U][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE] Visit [url]www.saveparagonap.com[/url] to get more information.
Unread 12-01-2006, 06:39 PM   #8
jrnjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepitup
"Jeepitup" syndrome

That's not fair. You can't go around throwing those kind of names at me Jill might find out how much money I am actually dumping in there!

Hey BTW, I know this guy who has an extra set of 33's (already mounted & balanced). He will also have a set of axles that would fit you just perfect. ARB's and 4.88's

SYNDROME!!!!! Give me some info on the 33's hmmm and the rest Your like a Jeep crack dealer

Unread 12-02-2006, 04:12 PM   #9
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipjip
For those interested....http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...1&page=1&pp=25

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
Unread 12-03-2006, 10:53 AM   #10
jrnjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellyDSP
Thanks Craig It's a little drug out but has a lot of good info.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.